CL/SL future when cruising returns.

18 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Not many left now. But you prefer the DL to the CL on Radiance ships?

That is the one exception to me, definitely prefer the CL to the DL on the Radiance ladies.  Drats...I was supposed to be on Radiance in two weeks...sigh.  😞 

17 hours ago, grapau27 said:

CL

Small windowless rooms on most ships.

When cruising returns RCL will probably have renamed them all with SL name plaques.

They got lazy on the Vision class ships, turning the CL into an SL without even bothering to change the name plate.  

• Like 1

17 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Graham does have a point, though. On an Oasis ship, CK does not have the capacity to feed all the suite guests on any given night, and you definitely will need to be flexible in your dining slots. Luckily the rule of large numbers makes it work. But if you throw a lot of Pins into the mix, it gets a lot more complicated. Especially when some are rude and needy.

Keep in mind, CK was designed in the time of Dynamic Dining. Royal never thought that passengers would eat there every night.😉

The assumption was one night in Grande, one in Silk, one in Icon, maybe two in CK, and two in a specialty venue.  When that failed, they had to do 7 different menus to appease the folks that didn't want to eat in MDR.  That overloaded CK as well, and made it less special than it was in her first year or so. Then to top that off, the amount of Pinnacles skyrocketed and a ton fell in love with the CK/SL setup. 

I hate to say it (flame suit now firmly fitted into place) but letting JS pax into CK just does not make sense, IMHO.  

Had the most uncomfortable dining experience in CK one night, making the mistake of being seated next to the door.  Large family group in JS cabins at a big table (who naturally did not have keys coded in for access) kept getting up to go back to cabin, restrooms, etc.  When they returned they had to bang loudly on the door to be let in.  Very annoying.

With the crowding in the CK already...not sure why they let still let JS cabins have access.   Though indeed it is on "availability only".  

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, xpcdoojk said:

That was one of the few videos, posted here I have ever watched. 😉

We went to Chicago for Spamalot before it opened on Broadway.  

JC

I found that pretty cute, with Hormel at first attempting to sue for use of their product name, then they had a change of heart and actually sponsored the Spamalot musical.  Hilarious with the large can of spam dancing past the singers.  😄 

Video I posted was interesting about how the term "Spam" came to be for emails.  🙂 

16 hours ago, xpcdoojk said:

CL much better on Radiance.

jc

My favorite (and probably many others as well) is the half circle bar seating.  Have to come in after first seating dining has started to score those few precious seats.  😉   As we come off the elevator to make our way into the lounge, there is the usual flock coming out of the CL with drinks in hands trying to shove onto the elevator to go to dinner before we even can get out of the thing.  🤨  Not much elevator manners there.  

Edited by island lady

13 hours ago, yogimax said:

I think most of those windowless CLs have been or will be converted into more inside cabins

It was weird the first time I saw the CL gone, replaced with those inside cabins on Mariner.  We really only used it for after dinner drinks and morning Lattes.  Too congested during the before dinner Happy Hour.   I thought the DL on Mariner was much more inviting than the new SL on Mariner.  Plus could easily use the pretty bar area outside in the VCL for overflow.  

I can't remember if Freedom did the same thing, taking the CL out?  Have not been on Freedom for years, going to meet her again (maybe?) in January.  

Edited by island lady

34 minutes ago, island lady said:

Me too.  😉 

Absolutely true on the ships which had the CL tucked away in a dark and dreary place while the DL was in a wonderful area with views of the outside (Independence comes to mind"

An exception has to be Anthem which has a wonderful CL spread across the entire back of the ship with wonderful views.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Big fan of lunch there. Especislly the Oasis

Harrmony, not so much

Never had lunch up there because usually my fam unit are in swim attire.   Just never felt like changing into more appropriate attire to make you P’s happy in middle of the day!!

Maybe next time (if there is a next time) 😆

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, island lady said:

I can't remember if Freedom did the same thing, taking the CL out?  Have not been on Freedom for years, going to meet her again (maybe?) in January.  

Strangely, we have never been on Freedom, but have her booked for a 9 night out of Bayonne next November (hopefully).

1 hour ago, island lady said:

It was weird the first time I saw the CL gone, replaced with those inside cabins on Mariner.  We really only used it for after dinner drinks and morning Lattes.  Too congested during the before dinner Happy Hour.   I thought the DL on Mariner was much more inviting than the new SL on Mariner.  Plus could easily use the pretty bar area outside in the VCL for overflow.  

Hmm, I really like the new SL on Mariner. The outside area is quite nice as well.

Yes, Freedom has the SL up in VCL now

• Like 1

1 hour ago, yogimax said:

Absolutely true on the ships which had the CL tucked away in a dark and dreary place while the DL was in a wonderful area with views of the outside (Independence comes to mind"

An exception has to be Anthem which has a wonderful CL spread across the entire back of the ship with wonderful views.

As mentioned earlier, almost all of the Voyager and Freedom CL's have been eliminated and new SL's added too the VCL space.

Some of the Voyager ships moved the DL down to the old cigar lounge. I doubt you'd approve 

2 hours ago, island lady said:

They got lazy on the Vision class ships, turning the CL into an SL without even bothering to change the name plate.  

Last year we did the 12 nighter Med/Greece on Vision and didn't care what the lounge was called ...it was a nice although small space (even with an overflow area) with great views and a wonderful staff. 

27 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Do two people in 1 cabin take up any more pool chairs than two people in 2 cabins.🤔

Look, if you put in extra cabins you can put one, two or five people in it. The bottom line is there are more people on the ship.

Are you intentionally trying to be difficult today?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, TheMastodon said:

Never had lunch up there because usually my fam unit are in swim attire.   Just never felt like changing into more appropriate attire to make you P’s happy in middle of the day!!

Hmmm....I hope you weren't the ones that left the wet seats :classic_ohmy:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Look, if you put in extra cabins you can put one, two or five people in it. The bottom line is there are more people on the ship.

Are you intentionally trying to be difficult today?

When am I not?

But my original post was dead serious. 

There has been a massive surge in the amount of solo cruisers these past few years

Edited by John&LaLa

35 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Hmm, I really like the new SL on Mariner. The outside area is quite nice as well.

Yes, Freedom has the SL up in VCL now

Thanks!  Figured as much with Freedom, just too lazy to pull up deck plans.  😉  Will check them both out in January (maybe?) 

I just didn't like the way the SL on Mariner was one long bowling alley like shape.  Seemed more conducive to conversations the way the chairs and tables were set up in the DL. 

But that's just me. 

Thought it was interesting with having the "two pers" along the window wall in the SL facing out.  Found the outside area a bit noisy with the climbing wall, etc. out there.  

Edited by island lady
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, yogimax said:

Strangely, we have never been on Freedom, but have her booked for a 9 night out of Bayonne next November (hopefully).

Living near the port in PC, Freedom was our choice for 7 night cruises.  Spent a lot of great times on that ship, looking forward to seeing her again.  Missed her when she left us.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, island lady said:

Living near the port in PC, Freedom was our choice for 7 night cruises.  Spent a lot of great times on that ship, looking forward to seeing her again.  Missed her when she left us.  

I really like Freedom, too. It was great when they moved the ship to Port Everglade to do 8 nighters for awhile.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TheMastodon said:

I have pictures of guest in swim attire in the SL/CK. I also have seen guest in robes in the SL fetching a beer at 11. 

M8

2 hours ago, yogimax said:

I heard D+ were not permitted in CL on Anthem when COVID19 hit? 😇

M8

16 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

I really like Freedom, too. It was great when they moved the ship to Port Everglade to do 8 nighters for awhile.

Oh...so YOU'RE the one that took her away.   😄   

Oh well, they gave us Oasis...fair trade. 😉 

Edited by island lady
  • Haha 1