Credits on cruises of 4 recent ships sold

DaveOKC

Has anyone received any credits or refunds for the cruises HAL recently cancelled due to them selling 4 ships?  I would like to reuse some credits I have on my Aug, 2021 Rotterdam cruise.

My FCCs were quickly posted once I filled out the "cancellation preferences form". There was a link in the email announcing the cancellation of our Feb 2021 Rotterdam South Pacific cruise. 

I think if you don't fill this out, you won't see anything until after August 24. The wording in the email was a little unclear-

"Should you prefer to decline the bonus future cruise credit and receive a lower-value refund, you may request a refund of all monies paid to Holland America Line by completing the Cancellation Preferences form before August 24, 2020. The full Future Cruise Credit Terms & Conditions can also be found there. Refunds will be reimbursed to the original form of payment and will include all non-cruise fare purchases through Holland America Line."

It implies that you only use the form if you want a refund in lieu of the FCCs. Once you get to the form, you can choose the FCCs. Our PCC said using the form would expedite the FCCs getting posted. It worked for us.  

11 minutes ago, Overhead Fred said:

My FCCs were quickly posted once I filled out the "cancellation preferences form". There was a link in the email announcing the cancellation of our Feb 2021 Rotterdam South Pacific cruise. 

I think if you don't fill this out, you won't see anything until after August 24. The wording in the email was a little unclear-

"Should you prefer to decline the bonus future cruise credit and receive a lower-value refund, you may request a refund of all monies paid to Holland America Line by completing the Cancellation Preferences form before August 24, 2020. The full Future Cruise Credit Terms & Conditions can also be found there. Refunds will be reimbursed to the original form of payment and will include all non-cruise fare purchases through Holland America Line."

It implies that you only use the form if you want a refund in lieu of the FCCs. Once you get to the form, you can choose the FCCs. Our PCC said using the form would expedite the FCCs getting posted. It worked for us.  

Thanks - this is exactly what I was wondering about.

We plus 5 friends cancelled Jan 24 Veendam cruise a week before the announcement of sale of Veendam.   All 7 of us got full refund of deposits & insurance within 5 days of cancellation, despite being told refunds would be in 30-60 days.   Bookings were made directly with a Holland PCC. 

Edited by Cruisin Kay D

I received my FCC from the cancelled Greenland cruise for deposit paid.  It had some FCC applied and nothing on that front.  Our March cancelled Veendam cruise has seen no activity.  It was paid in full with a FCC and deposit of a FCD.

34 minutes ago, Overhead Fred said:

It implies that you only use the form if you want a refund in lieu of the FCCs. Once you get to the form, you can choose the FCCs. Our PCC said using the form would expedite the FCCs getting posted. It worked for us

Thanks so much for this tip. I was mislead by the wording, and will give it a try. I've only paid the 50% deposits via FCD, though, so no biggie.

24 minutes ago, AlanF65 said:

I filled out the form via my TA and had my FCC on 07-23-2020 for my May 17 2021 Cruise on Maasdam.

We are wondering how this will work, too, as we had used the cancelled Transatlantic April 2020 cruise as a FCC which was applied to the May 2021 Rotterdam Norway Arctic Circle cruise, also now cancelled.  After seeing the discussion here, we decided not to wait until 8/24 but submit the form. I assume we would have to submit the form for both myself and my wife. With the new website format, I can only see my credits and not hers.

On 7/31/2020 at 10:08 AM, DaveOKC said:

Has anyone received any credits or refunds for the cruises HAL recently cancelled due to them selling 4 ships?  I would like to reuse some credits I have on my Aug, 2021 Rotterdam cruise.

Just this week we rec'd refund for all shore excursions for the August '21 Rotterdam cruise.  Each one was refunded individually for a total of $1 400.

We opted for a full refund of deposits but they were only $50 for each of us.  We doubted we would sail before any FCC expired.  

Ruth

7 minutes ago, YXU AC*SE said:

Your wife's credits will be visible on her HAL profile / Mariner number.  Scott. 

We tried to set her up with a login for her Mariner Account and the website wouldn't allow us to. It's been a while, but the message was something like it was already associated with another login. Well, the only login we have used with her is the one we both used prior to the  update of the website (scratching my head).

Just checked now, and I have a couple of FCDs (purchased ones).  I had a session with our PCC yesterday trying to book a cruise, and she said we had no FCDs.  I had the paperwork, maybe the night auditor has been checking things!

There is nothing from our cancelled Rotterdam cruise in August 2021.  I did fill out the form, and we should get our FCDs back with the FCC, plus the FCC from a previous cruise, cancelled by HAL which she had applied to the August '21 cruise.  I'm finding it all very confusing, and the website is not making it any easier.

I'm finding I must take a screenshot of any information I need to be aware of, at least then I can use it as evidenced if I need to!

43 minutes ago, 2inSETexas said:

We tried to set her up with a login for her Mariner Account and the website wouldn't allow us to. It's been a while, but the message was something like it was already associated with another login. Well, the only login we have used with her is the one we both used prior to the  update of the website (scratching my head).

Did you ever use the "Navigator" app when you cruised?  I'm finding I have to use the password from that now, rather than my old password that I used for the website...

On 7/31/2020 at 8:10 AM, Mandalay1903 said:

Thanks so much for this tip. I was mislead by the wording, and will give it a try. I've only paid the 50% deposits via FCD, though, so no biggie.

In our case, we paid the original $100 deposit for this cruise with an FCD that we bought while on a previous cruise.  We used the form to elect FCCs at double the value of the original deposits. These new FCCs were posted to our accounts last night in $100 denominations, so one $100 FCD deposit became two $100 FCCs.

Interestingly, I talked to my PCC about it this morning and she said that each of the two new $100 FCCs are coded differently behind the scenes.  The code on one of the new FCCs says "refundable" (because it was issued to replace a refundable FCD), and the code on the other new FCC says "nonrefundable" (because it was issued as a "bonus" FCC).  She also said that we could use each of these new FCCs as the deposit for a future cruise of up to 29 days, however, no bonus shipboard credits would be issued as there would using true FCDs. 

She said they always issue the "bonus" part of an FCC separately from the part representing a cash or cc payment so that they can refund the original paid value if necessary and treat the "bonus' part as nonrefundable. If this is true, the trick is to always take the deal where you get a bonus FCC on a cruise cancellation. If you do, you could still later request a refund for the portion of the FCC that relates to a payment and keep the "bonus" part available in your account. Before trying this at home it might be best to check with your PCC or TA to confirm.

Another interesting thing my PCC said is that HAL is getting read to release new itineraries for late 2021 and early 2022 in the very near future. I'm looking forward to seeing the new offerings. None of HALs current itineraries are anywhere close to the three that we've had cancelled upon the sales of the Maasdam and Veendam.

• Thanks 1

On 7/31/2020 at 7:34 AM, Overhead Fred said:

Exactly this! I called because it was worded funky. Once I clicked the link and submitted the form I had my credit in 3 days. 

4 hours ago, 2inSETexas said:

You don't want to create a new Mariner account, you need to associate to her existing?   

Log in using her current Mariner number, and then select forgot password ...   reset the password, and you should be all fixed up. 

You'll have two ways to do that -- instructions emailed to the e-mail account associated with your Mariner number -- OR -- answering three challenge questions that you set up when you originally created your Mariner account. (pretty typical qs - where were you born, what is your maternal grandmother's first name, name of your favourite pet, etc.   Scott. 

https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/log-in.html

image.png.d4f1821839af30c4f0bf4d6a6c1d4f2d.png

4 hours ago, Vict0riann said:

Did you ever use the "Navigator" app when you cruised?  I'm finding I have to use the password from that now, rather than my old password that I used for the website...

Called the Mariner help line, and spoke to one of their representatives. Turns out both our accounts were associated with the same logon ID, which is why we could neither see my wife’s account on the existing ID nor set up a new logon for her account. The representative kindly created a new logon ID for my wife’s account, so now we can see both separately.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, DaveOKC said:

I filled out the form yesterday, so will watch for anything.  My deal is complicated by already having FCC on the cancelled cruise.

Update - this morning we both have 2, $100 FCCs in our account (we both used a FCD to book).  So this did get doubled it seemed, but remember that we lost the OBC associated with a FCD.  

The $1099 that we both are due as a FCC credit from our April cancelled cruise is still not posted.  But, the Rotterdam cruise it is associated with it still shows up on our accounts.

Sure want to see this resolved!

5 hours ago, DaveOKC said:

Update - this morning we both have 2, $100 FCCs in our account (we both used a FCD to book).  So this did get doubled it seemed, but remember that we lost the OBC associated with a FCD.  

The $1099 that we both are due as a FCC credit from our April cancelled cruise is still not posted.  But, the Rotterdam cruise it is associated with it still shows up on our accounts.

Sure want to see this resolved!

You invested $ 100 per person was supposed to get a $25 OBC.

Cruise cancelled.

You got 2 $ 100 FCC per person😀

12 minutes ago, Gail & Marty sailing away said:

You invested $ 100 per person was supposed to get a $25 OBC.

Cruise cancelled.

You got 2 $ 100 FCC per person😀

The sold ships were 2x the deposit, amount I didn't get OBC but did get 2x deposit. Did you get 2x deposit and OBC for a sold ship cruise?

Dear Valued Guest,

I hope this finds you safe and healthy during these unprecedented times. All of us at Holland America Line are looking forward to the future when we will once again have the opportunity to welcome you aboard.

We are writing to share the news with you that Amsterdam, Maasdam, Rotterdam, and Veendam have been sold and will be leaving our fleet in the coming weeks. It’s always difficult to see ships leave our fleet, especially those with long and storied histories with our company, and we wish them farewell and fair seas.

While these ships will depart our fleet soon, Holland America Line has a bright future that includes the introduction of our third Pinnacle-class ship. Our fleet remains diverse and continues to offer exceptional options for cruisers to visit destinations around the world. We also look forward to continuing to build on many of our beloved shipboard offerings as we enter a new chapter in our history.

Since you are currently booked on a future sailing aboard one of these ships (Booking # ), we regret that we must cancel your upcoming cruise.

As compensation for this change to your travel plans, we are offering you bonus Future Cruise Credits, which provide tremendous value for you to plan another trip of your choice.

You will receive double the amount deposited (up to the base cruise fare amount) as a Future Cruise Credit (FCC). The minimum bonus FCC amount is $100. For example, if you paid $200 per person, each person will receive a Future Cruise Credit equal to the amount paid plus a bonus FCC of $200. If you booked under one of our special low deposit deals and paid less than $100 per person, you will receive a Future Cruise Credit of the amount paid plus $100 per person bonus FCC. This credit will waive the required deposit on your next booking on a voyage up to 29 days in length.

The amount received by Holland America Line in excess of the amount used to calculate the Future Cruise Credit can be transferred to a new booking or will be refunded to the method of payment used for the original purchase. The Future Cruise Credits are valid for 12 months from the date of issue and may be used to book sailings departing through December 31, 2022.

If any portion of your travel was not booked through Holland America Line, other booking and cancellation conditions and policies may apply. Most airlines and other travel-related services such as hotels, transportation, and tours are allowing refunds or waiving change fees due to COVID-19; please work directly with those operators regarding their charges.

Should you prefer to decline the bonus future cruise credit and receive a lower-value refund, you may request a refund of all monies paid to Holland America Line by completing the Cancellation Preferences form before August 24, 2020. The full Future Cruise Credit Terms & Conditions can also be found there. Refunds will be reimbursed to the original form of payment and will include all non-cruise fare purchases through Holland America Line.

Please note that due to the unprecedented volume of bookings impacted by cancellations, we ask for your patience in affording us the time to work through processing the refunds and FCCs. We are working hard to make sure every booking is handled accurately and efficiently.

Should you have any questions, please contact your travel advisor or reach out to us at the appropriate office: