Customer Service following cancellation

Norn Iron Man

6 hours ago, mrbluesea said:

I would have thought that if you do a charge back under section 75 for the balance that you paid its going to make it more difficult to recover the deposit.

I don't see that being an issue as I did not request a chargeback until THEY cancelled the cruise

• Like 2

Well over a week has passed and despite emails to 4 different departments within the Travel Agency they have yet to inform me that my October cruise has been cancelled. This is the same company who could find time to chase me for a balance 48 hrs beforehand. This is the same TA who have now again started sending emails of great offers for cruises that will probably never take place. I have since booked another holiday with a more reliable travel agency. Once I get my refund this unreliable shower will be added to my spam list. Oh how I wish I could name and shame this crowd who cannot be bothered answering emails

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Norn Iron Man said:

Well over a week has passed and despite emails to 4 different departments within the Travel Agency they have yet to inform me that my October cruise has been cancelled. This is the same company who could find time to chase me for a balance 48 hrs beforehand. This is the same TA who have now again started sending emails of great offers for cruises that will probably never take place. I have since booked another holiday with a more reliable travel agency. Once I get my refund this unreliable shower will be added to my spam list. Oh how I wish I could name and shame this crowd who cannot be bothered answering emails

I feel your pain, add to my pain list Azamara no longer answering emails so I cannot work out if they have our fee and tax refund or if it is with the idiotic agency.  However it became evident about three weeks ago that unlike friends who continued to get Azamara marketing emails we appeared to have been blackballed and have had none.  Remember the saga to get on the list.........no appetite for that again, just found it funny

On 8/10/2020 at 4:39 PM, welwyngirl said:

If I were you I'd have a face like a Lurgan spade as my Belfast friend says!

I wanted to laugh when I read this post, only the whole thread is no laughing matter.

This is a quote from Libraryireland.com

Lurgan Spade

When any person is in a serious mood or very depressed they are said to “have a face on them as long as a Lurgan spade.” 
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, norn iron said:

I wanted to laugh when I read this post, only the whole thread is no laughing matter.

Lurgan Spade

When any person is in a serious mood or very depressed they are said to “have a face on them as long as a Lurgan spade.” 

While it's true that this entire thread is no laughing matter, I admit I very much enjoyed looking up "face like a Lurgan spade."   I learned that one theory suggests the phrase originates with the under-paid workmen who dug the Lurgan Park Lake.  True, false, or something in between, it makes for a nice diversion from the news of the day ; )

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ithikan said:

While it's true that this entire thread is no laughing matter, I admit I very much enjoyed looking up "face like a Lurgan spade."   I learned that one theory suggests the phrase originates with the under-paid workmen who dug the Lurgan Park Lake.  True, false, or something in between, it makes for a nice diversion from the news of the day ; )

1 hour ago, norn iron said:

Lurgan Spade

I'm from Irish stock myself - other side of the border but born and raised in London.  Hope I didn't sound unsympathetic.  Am totally sympathetic as I'm still waiting for refund on a cruise where they made us pay despite the fact it obviously wasn't going to sail and was from China!!  Hope you get it sorted soon.

Lesley

1 hour ago, Ithikan said:

The Irish have a wonderful turn of phrase.  I love some of the sayings.  I have Irish heritage and a lot of the sayings, songs etc are passed on to younger generations.  Some of them are unprintable though!

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Ithikan said:

Lurgan Park is a lovely park, and the lake is the highlight.

Edited by norn iron
add on

3 hours ago, norn iron said:

Lurgan Park is a lovely park, and the lake is the highlight.

A model boat on Lurgan Lake is the nearest any of us will get to a cruise this year!

I appreciate the craic about the Lurgan Spade its lightened the mood.  I can think of a few other choice phrases to describe the TA but sadly most of them would get me banned from these forums. I will be emailing the TA tomorrow again as well as ABTA and the BBC consumer programme.  I'll give you another Ulster/Scots word to describe my attitude.  It is THRAN.  🙂

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Norn Iron Man said:

A model boat on Lurgan Lake is the nearest any of us will get to a cruise this year!

I appreciate the craic about the Lurgan Spade its lightened the mood.  I can think of a few other choice phrases to describe the TA but sadly most of them would get me banned from these forums. I will be emailing the TA tomorrow again as well as ABTA and the BBC consumer programme.  I'll give you another Ulster/Scots word to describe my attitude.  It is THRAN.  🙂

And I’m SCUNNERED about what happened to me 😂. To use a local saying here to summarise my disbelief at the lies I’m being spun (and one which is very appropriate given the ships location) “ did they think I came up the Clyde in a banana boat” “aye right” 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, uktog said:

I feel your pain, add to my pain list Azamara no longer answering emails so I cannot work out if they have our fee and tax refund or if it is with the idiotic agency.  However it became evident about three weeks ago that unlike friends who continued to get Azamara marketing emails we appeared to have been blackballed and have had none.  Remember the saga to get on the list.........no appetite for that again, just found it funny

I now have a response from Azamara.  They are going to contact the agency to ascertain the reason for the delay.  I think this confirms beyond all reasonable doubt where my money is and that in the UK several large travel agencies have held onto customer's funds even after Azamara paid them and had no intention of meeting their agency obligations to pay funds over to customers in a timely manner.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, uktog said:

I now have a response from Azamara.  They are going to contact the agency to ascertain the reason for the delay.  I think this confirms beyond all reasonable doubt where my money is and that in the UK several large travel agencies have held onto customer's funds even after Azamara paid them and had no intention of meeting their agency obligations to pay funds over to customers in a timely manner.

I think you are 100% correct there. I AGAIN contacted my TA and demanded a response from them or I would go to ABTA and Trading Standards. I at least got an acknowledgement this time. Fortunately the law is on our side regarding refunds within 14 days Covid or not!!!  I checked with trust pilot and this particular TA doesn’t fare to well with regard to refunds 

• Like 2

Refund process a complete mystery.  We received the deposit in May which had been paid direct to Azamara, then we received the bulk of the cruise fare from our TA in early June.  £214 refund paid to TA in early August, they are still waiting for £302 from Azamara.  This was for B2B cruises in June  cancelled by Azamara in April.   

The good news is that TA did not take a £500 deposit from us for B2B cruises next April - booked in July.  They are using the credit owed.  Not sure whether they negotiated this with Azamara or if it was a good will gesture.

TA is as mystified by refund process also  Each cruise company seems to be working differently, although they did say RCCL cruise lines were the worst.  This is a small family run cruise agency.

• Like 1

On 8/14/2020 at 5:49 AM, uktog said:

And I’m SCUNNERED about what happened to me 😂. To use a local saying here to summarise my disbelief at the lies I’m being spun (and one which is very appropriate given the ships location) “ did they think I came up the Clyde in a banana boat” “aye right” 

There was a feature tonight on BBC Radio Ulster on turn of phrase,  Scunnnered was described as a classic 'Ulster Scots' word.

Now if two or three of us were to write our posts in Ulster Scots, Host Jazzbeau would be having nightmares! 🙈🙈🙈

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, norn iron said:

There was a feature tonight on BBC Radio Ulster on turn of phrase,  Scunnnered was described as a classic 'Ulster Scots' word.

Now if two or three of us were to write our posts in Ulster Scots, Host Jazzbeau would be having nightmares! 🙈🙈🙈

I would be gobsmacked :classic_biggrin:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, norn iron said:

I’m not that familiar with the turns of phrases, but just below us is a town called Caledon and the settlers’ names included Raeburn, Wiggins, Lindsay, Maxwell, and Nisbett.

If not in language, the Ulster Scots have still left their mark.

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Glenndale said:

Unfortunately you may find that this refund may sit on your CC but you are unable to transfer it to your bank account.

That was my experience.

The TA “promised” me that it would be paid direct to my bank account but I will check my Credit Card just in case

I try to take a gentle hand in moderating this board, but since there is a demand for strict enforcement of the rules I'm also enforcing the rule about not discussing board moderation.  Let's keep this thread strictly on topic, which is 'customer service following cancellation.'

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Norn Iron Man said:

The TA “promised” me that it would be paid direct to my bank account but I will check my Credit Card just in case

Right, my refund was from my bank after I’d taken out a section 75 against my TA.

Refund had been requested on 16th March, cruise line paid TA on 4th June and I started section 75 on 18th June.

Credit card company credited card 18th July but I couldn’t access this money.

TA finally credited card at weekend but am still awaiting CC company to transfer this money to my bank account, hopefully this sorry saga will be resolved this week.

Good luck 🤞🏻

• Like 1

Glad you have made progress Norn Iron Man and hope it all works out for you. When you feel you have been treated badly or that service has significantly failed you it’s right to move on rather than dwell on what has passed. 

We all understand that these are unprecedented times and unfortunately cruise lines and TAs are facing very difficult circumstances.

No one wants people to lose their jobs but at the same time companys need to protect their customers.

For the TA to hold onto our money for 3 months is disgraceful, especially as we had booked 2 - 3 cruises per year, for over 10 years, with them.

We will not be using this TA again, our trust for them has gone.

I suppose what I'm driving at is that Azamara might not be totally to blame over this.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Glenndale said:

We all understand that these are unprecedented times and unfortunately cruise lines and TAs are facing very difficult circumstances.

No one wants people to lose their jobs but at the same time companys need to protect their customers.

For the TA to hold onto our money for 3 months is disgraceful, especially as we had booked 2 - 3 cruises per year, for over 10 years, with them.

We will not be using this TA again, our trust for them has gone.

I suppose what I'm driving at is that Azamara might not be totally to blame over this.

I would totally agree with you but for the fact that Azamara would not share information with me to help me to decide where the blockage was or to decide the most appropriate way to fix it. 

Their email responses were clumsy, inappropriate, did not answer the questions and demonstrated their key priority was to protect their b2b relationship. 

Short sighted as both the agency and the cruise line are losers when they lose sight of the customer. 

Edited by uktog

Today I received a call from my TA. They credited my over £850.00 deposit back to my debit card.  This comes a mere 3 weeeks after someone in the TA took ownership of my issue.  Whether or not the fact that the Bank had made a S 75 chargeback to my  card sped things up I dont know but hopefully this is the end of my problems (the refund can take 2 or 3 days).

The helpful person in the TA changed my opinion of them but I still have a bad taste of the fact that a final payment was pressurised from me less than 48hrs before the cruise was officially cancelled.

By the sounds of things there may be no foreign holidays for many months to come so lets make the best of it and Stay Safe.

I can now say Im as happy as a Sandboy or whatever your local definition of happiness is.

I hope anyone else who is being messed about by their TA or Cruise Line is as fortunate as I appear to have been.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1