MSC resume cruising

Cathygh

36 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

That's fine with me if you don't want to cruise that's your decision, but once they get the green light I will be happy to cruise.

But which green light?

It's the CDC etc who will force them to quarantine all passengers when the numbers of CV cases are enough.

23 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Sorry KTS I didn't know that the CDC have jurisdiction over UK cruise ships.😝

Did you think the cruise lines had all voluntarily ceased sailing and placed their businesses in financial jeopardy?

Who gives the "No Sail" orders to cruise lines?   And on whose authority/recommendation do they do it?

https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2020/s0716-cruise-ship-no-sail-order.html

"The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) announced today the extension of a No Sail Order for cruise ships through September 30, 2020. This order continues to suspend passenger operations on cruise ships with the capacity to carry at least 250 passengers in waters subject to U.S. jurisdiction."

The CDC is relevant to any discussion of a return to cruising because ultimately it is these kind of authoritative bodies that call the shots. 

Edited by KnowTheScore

57 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Pessimistic aren't you? You would probably say you were being realistic. I would say  you were being antagonistic.  My personal view is a hope that MSC trial cruises go without a hitch and that the Covid protocols that they WILL have in place will never have to be put into effect. 

I'm being neither of the above.   Once you find yourself in the situation of being on a ship with CV on-board then you find out in black and white what will happen to you and at  that point it will be far too late to start complaining about being quarantined or shipped off to some dodgy hospital in whatever country you happen to find yourself.   Just reading the blogs of the couple from the Diamond Princess tells you this.  The guy was taken off the ship, then moved from one hospital to another and so on.

Some people live their lives somewhat haplessly and thus take whatever is thrown at them,  Each to their own.  

I would consider myself extremely foolish to set foot on a cruise ship again without knowing FULLY in advance what protocols will be followed when there are cases of CV on-board and what that expressly means for myself and my wife.   Comments from a social media board, even from the more respected posters, do not represent legally binding official information I'm afraid.

It behoves the cruise lines to put out clear unambiguous statements to all passengers to explain exactly what WILL happen when there are cases of CV on-board.

Meanwhile, we continue to cancel cruises we had booked in advance and will continue to do so.

Edited by KnowTheScore

1 hour ago, KnowTheScore said:

Did you think the cruise lines had all voluntarily ceased sailing and placed their businesses in financial jeopardy?

Who gives the "No Sail" orders to cruise lines?   And on whose authority/recommendation do they do it?

https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2020/s0716-cruise-ship-no-sail-order.html

"The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) announced today the extension of a No Sail Order for cruise ships through September 30, 2020. This order continues to suspend passenger operations on cruise ships with the capacity to carry at least 250 passengers in waters subject to U.S. jurisdiction."

The CDC is relevant to any discussion of a return to cruising because ultimately it is these kind of authoritative bodies that call the shots. 

It may be these kind of bodies, but in Europe it will be their european equivalents, the CDC only has jurisdiction over US  waters.

After reading through most of the recent posts KTS aside I will repeat what I have posted repeatedly, that as soon as the government lifts the restrictions we will cruise (so have I been told).

the USA cruising thing is a bit weird in the case of they have no joined up plan to combat the virus, the cruise companies can do all the planning but would you cruise with our American cousins at this moment in time.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, KnowTheScore said:

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) announced today the extension of a No Sail Order for cruise ships through September 30, 2020. This order continues to suspend passenger operations on cruise ships with the capacity to carry at least 250 passengers in waters subject to U.S. jurisdiction."

Which is of absolutely no relevance whatsoever to P&O cruises sailing in non-US waters. Do keep up!

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

Pessimistic aren't you? You would probably say you were being realistic. I would say  you were being antagonistic.  My personal view is a hope that MSC trial cruises go without a hitch and that the Covid protocols that they WILL have in place will never have to be put into effect. 

It's in all our cruising interests for the MSC,Costa and Aida cruises to go without a hitch.

🤞

On 9/11/2020 at 8:47 PM, KnowTheScore said:

Haven't trawled through the 14 pages here but on the subject of "MSC Resuming Cruising" or indeed any other cruise line I'm going to assume that actually nothing has fundamentally changed and that cruise lines are still trying to hide behind the smoke screen of safety protocols, mask wearing, social distancing and so on. 

So on the single biggest and fundamental show stopping issue, I assume nothing has yet been resolved

That being what happens when THERE IS a case of COVID on-board.

I assume  that when that happens, and let's face it, it WILL, then all passengers will be quarantined to cabins ala Diamond Princess, for up to 2 weeks and/or are dumped at whatever port and shipped home.

If so, I maintain its still Game Over for cruising.

Does anyone here have anything in writing from MSC or any other cruise line that expressly states how they will react when there is a case of COVID on-board?

I'm guessing not

All the safety measures in the world are not going to get us away from the main problem of what happens when someone goes down with COVID, whether passenger or crew.

I understand your concerns and share many of them. I don’t suppose they know for sure. I’m just thinking how schools are responding now to Covid cases. Some in Wales have sent full years home, others just some streams within a year, and I think I read that a smaller school has even closed for deep cleaning. I know from family members that schools are trying to keep pupils in ‘bubbles’ but then again all pupils mix together on school transport. It’s bewildering.