The Old New World of O?

sunbrookgal

For a moment Make believe I am asking a Q concerning nothing but what O is good for. I just booked an O cruise, 38 days. Singapore to Rome. 2021. Do not remind me it has less than 100% chances of actually happening. LOL. I'm trying to be OPTIMISTIC here. 🙂. So,, Have been on everything from Carnival (1), Celebrity (8) , RCL (5), Disney (3), Princess (9).... Whats my OMG do this first, do this second, and don't forget to do that!. 

If you've cruised you understand... Please, Thanks

Don't compare Oceania  with other lines  (hard to do sometimes)

Be sure to book the Specialties  when your rime slot opens up ..it depends on the cabin category  but make sure you book before  boarding

Do not miss Afternoon Tea 

Best of  all ENJOY

• Like 3

On the subject of afternoon tea, last year on the Insignia we found the size of the carts (serving cakes, etc.) had been reduced. Also there were fewer choices on them and there were fewer carts. Further, the central table was not available to those wishing to get their own cakes, etc. In the new O things will change but we will not revisit the tea service. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Noxequifans said:

On the subject of afternoon tea, last year on the Insignia we found the size of the carts (serving cakes, etc.) had been reduced. Also there were fewer choices on them and there were fewer carts. Further, the central table was not available to those wishing to get their own cakes, etc. In the new O things will change but we will not revisit the tea service. 

Usually on the R ships they do not have the central table but use the side board near the entrance

Were there no options there?

• Like 1

With all kinds of possible restrictions being discussed in light of the pandemic, it will be difficult to even guess what cruising will be like next year.  For example, will there even be an afternoon tea?

5 hours ago, comcox said:

With all kinds of possible restrictions being discussed in light of the pandemic, it will be difficult to even guess what cruising will be like next year.  For example, will there even be an afternoon tea?

if  there is  no afternoon tea   that is  a deal breaker  for us 😲

But i cannot see why they would not have it  you are served  just like at meals

1 hour ago, LHT28 said:

if  there is  no afternoon tea   that is  a deal breaker  for us 😲

But i cannot see why they would not have it  you are served  just like at meals

My deal breaker is requiring all guests to be on a ship's tour or they cannot get off if any port.  That's already been announced by MSC. 

Another possible restriction is requiring all passengers to make reservations for dinner in order to space out folks in the restaurants.

If all remains as it was - afternoon tea is lovely, specialty restaurants are great (our favorites are Red Ginger and Jacques), if you are on Marina or Riviera the culinary classes are really fun and on our last trip (on Marina last November) we really enjoyed the wine bar nights at La Reserve and the wine tasting also at La Reserve. If you like burgers Waves is a must stop for lunch when on board. Relaxing while listening to the string quartet after a busy day on shore is a treat... We also just love watching the world go by from our balcony, from the spa terrace or with a drink in hand overlooking the bow in Horizons. We, too, are trying to remain optimistic, hopeful and positive for a cruise in 2021. Here's hoping... because all this reminiscing is getting me even more excited to return!

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, clairol said:

If all remains as it was - afternoon tea is lovely, specialty restaurants are great (our favorites are Red Ginger and Jacques), if you are on Marina or Riviera the culinary classes are really fun and on our last trip (on Marina last November) we really enjoyed the wine bar nights at La Reserve and the wine tasting also at La Reserve. If you like burgers Waves is a must stop for lunch when on board. Relaxing while listening to the string quartet after a busy day on shore is a treat... We also just love watching the world go by from our balcony, from the spa terrace or with a drink in hand overlooking the bow in Horizons. We, too, are trying to remain optimistic, hopeful and positive for a cruise in 2021. Here's hoping... because all this reminiscing is getting me even more excited to return!

The other O ships do not have a culinary class? 😞

2 minutes ago, sunbrookgal said:

The other O ships do not have a culinary class? 😞

It is  confusing 

we old timers need to say O CLASS ships & not just O ships so we do not confuse  new people LOL

The  smaller R class ships  do not

The larger O Class  have  some extra features like Culinary classes/Artist loft/ La Reserve/ Privee  & 2 extra Specialty restaurants

14 minutes ago, comcox said:

My deal breaker is requiring all guests to be on a ship's tour or they cannot get off if any port.  That's already been announced by MSC. 

Another possible restriction is requiring all passengers to make reservations for dinner in order to space out folks in the restaurants.

Thing  may change by the time Oceania set sail

MSC is also restricting pax by nationality  at the present time 😎

7 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

It is  confusing 

we old timers need to say O CLASS ships & not just O ships so we do not confuse  new people LOL

The  smaller R class ships  do not

The larger O Class  have  some extra features like Culinary classes/Artist loft/ La Reserve/ Privee  & 2 extra Specialty restaurants

That's why I specifically named the boats! 😉

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sunbrookgal said:

Yes,, Nautica. Is that an OK ship?

It is  the same as the other R ships Regatta/Insignia & Sirena  though it has not had it "NEXT"  upgrade  yet

I am sure it is fine

Before I get told off  😉

Sirena is slightly different   with the Specialty restaurants  Tuscan Steak & Red Ginger   instead of polo & Toscana

Plus they have 2 outside H/C cabins on deck 4  unlike the other R ships in the O fleet

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, LHT28 said:

It is  the same as the other R ships Regatta/Insignia & Sirena  though it has not had it "NEXT"  upgrade  yet

I am sure it is fine

Before I get told off  😉

Sirena is slightly different   with the Specialty restaurants  Tuscan Steak & Red Ginger   instead of polo & Toscana

Plus they have 2 outside H/C cabins on deck 4  unlike the other R ships in the O fleet

Another difference is I believe Insignia had an Artist Loft added in the corner of Horizons especially for the World Cruise. Not telling you off though. Just adding to the confusion. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Book your allotted amount of nights in the specialty restaurants prior to sailing. You can also ask at the desk at the buffet if there are any extra slots. 

oceania has 2 happy hours, 5-6pm in Martinis bar and approx 10-11pm in Horizons bar. This used to be cocktails only but our last cruise it was for any drink as long as they’re the same drinks. 

remember ALL non alcoholic drinks are included eg latte, smoothies, non alcoholic cocktails, Bottled water, coke etc.

if your ship has Red Ginger specially restaurant try the Sea Bass..........it’s to die for IMO.

Oceania’s entertainment is very low key. 

Afternoon tea is fine but I’m not an afternoon tea girl. 

I love the surf and turf in waves grill, fillet steak cooked to your liking and lobster in a bun but I always get it without the bun. 

the outdoor part in the Terrace cafe changes to a dining area at night where your served. 

If you eat in the Terrace cafe, inside and outside, your steak, king prawns, lobster, pork is made to order.

39 minutes ago, Issyalex said:

oceania has 2 happy hours, 5-6pm in Martinis bar and approx 10-11pm in Horizons bar. 

The  2 for 1, 5 to 6 pm Happy Hour applied to all  regular bars (although I'm not sure of the Pool Bar since we don't use it) on all our cruises, on both O and R ships.

Edited by 1985rz1
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, 1985rz1 said:

The  2 for 1, 5 to 6 pm Happy Hour applied to all  regular bars (although I'm not sure of the Pool Bar since we don't use it) on all our cruises, on both O and R ships.

that’s good news as the Martini bar was jam packed at happy hour. 

1 hour ago, Issyalex said:

the outdoor part in the Terrace cafe changes to a dining area at night where your served. 

Is this  something new?

The aft  outdoor  tables were always  self serve like the rest of the Terrace

1 minute ago, LHT28 said:

Is this  something new?

Not that I know. However people kept mentioning that the waiters served you but when we tried it once we had to get our food ourselves and the waiters only brought the drinks. 

1 minute ago, Issyalex said:

Not that I know. However people kept mentioning that the waiters served you but when we tried it once we had to get our food ourselves and the waiters only brought the drinks. 

Maybe  they were talking about the beverage service ?