Everything... project Leonardo/Prima class!

1 hour ago, Steff79 said:

https://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/cruise/norwegian-ncl/?sort=rating&page=2

Prima has the worst customer rating of all NL ships at cc.

With a 100 review sample size, it is almost statistically irrelevant. 

Most people feel compelled to compare the Prima (with 3100 passengers) to her big cousins (like the Escape with 4266 passengers). When, in fact, they should be comparing her to her smaller cousins (Jewel, Pearl, Jade, Gem). There is significantly more on the the Prima than her smaller cousins, and,,, rightfully so, less than the big ships).  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mast3rn8 said:

What ever happened to Supermarket Sweep? I may have missed that discussion somewhere.

It never showed up... They wanted to introduce the shows step by step but never got over step one which was the Price is Right...

steamboats

maybe the other shows like supermakket are at the next ships, maybe one game show each ship?

But wonder if NCL pay two people only for the price is right or do they something other then that show? At my 3 weeks on Prima i saw them both at the price is right only, but the Moderator was awesome.

like it was written, 3+4 goes bigger too, maybe NCL knows the mistakes of this class and change them.

we will see. and 5+6 bigger again.

i have booked thís year two cruises with MSC sisters ships Seaview and Seashore,

pay for a inside yachtclub room the same then for Prima/Viva studio room.

but maybe 2024 i will test the Viva.

6 hours ago, FreestyleNovice said:

Yep. The Atrium/ocean walk clearly showing.

Fincantieri subsidiary VARD, Tulcea, Romania.

Fantastic! Thank you for sharing.

I assume that this mega-block will be taken to Fincantieri Marghera? Or will the ship be fully assembled at VARD Tulcea? Thanks!

19 minutes ago, theaviationbeat said:

I assume that this mega-block will be taken to Fincantieri Marghera? Or will the ship be fully assembled at VARD Tulcea? Thanks!

I assume this one, like the others, will be transported to the other shipyard as the basis to build the rest of the ship.  This one DOES seem a little more 'complete' than the first two, maybe due to backups at the Fincantieri yard where 'final assembly' is being done?

So apparently NCL is upsizing the last two of the class, to become the biggest NCL-ships in the fleet. I remember reading somewhere that one of the NCL-representatives explaining their choice for smaller ships said 'these ships are the perfect size' (I'll continue the search for where I read it, but haven't found is so far). So I guess, now with the ships in service, they don't seem to be so perfect after all? I am truly curious to what brought them to change their mind.

https://cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/2023/03/norwegian-cruise-line-reveals-upsizing-strategy-on-prima-class/

On 2/28/2023 at 4:04 PM, deliver42 said:

The big problem is the size of the venues. Too small. That's not comparing to anything. The buffet is too small, and the entertainment venues are too small.

Basically NCL tried to squeeze too much stuff into a space that is not large enough and everything is small.  I think the Spa Locker room is the worst of the small ships.  I do like the 3 level atrium though.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, RVACruiser43 said:

Basically NCL tried to squeeze too much stuff into a space that is not large enough and everything is small.  I think the Spa Locker room is the worst of the small ships.  I do like the 3 level atrium though.

Agree with the comment about that spa locker room @RVACruiser43 - waaaay too small, after the 1st visit, I just did everything (re changing, showering after) in my cabin and only used the lockers to hold things. A shame cuz the shower was very good in there but… no place to dress comfortably.

• Like 1

On 2/28/2023 at 4:04 PM, deliver42 said:

The big problem is the size of the venues. Too small. That's not comparing to anything. The buffet is too small, and the entertainment venues are too small.

The buffet is a perfect size for a 3100 passenger ship. And they have added a new complimentary restaurant, Indulge Food Hall. We have been on the Prima twice and did not notice that the buffet was any more crowded than other NCL ships. For breakfast and lunch, they also use the Food Republic for seating (setting up drink stations there). 

At least they are not like Royal Caribbean with the PA announcements in their buffet "If you are done stuffing your face, get out so more people can stuff their face". 

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Haha 1

The buffet restaurant is definitely undersized. We are usually not eating at the peak times for breakfast and had several occasions where we only got a table outside or outside Palomar or in Food Republic.

Indulge Food Hall has different offers and is an addition to the classic buffet restaurant. But when you are more on the healthy eater side Indulge Food Hall is not really an option.

steamboats

3 hours ago, steamboats said:

The buffet restaurant is definitely undersized. We are usually not eating at the peak times for breakfast and had several occasions where we only got a table outside or outside Palomar or in Food Republic.

Indulge Food Hall has different offers and is an addition to the classic buffet restaurant. But when you are more on the healthy eater side Indulge Food Hall is not really an option.

steamboats

Seams like the salad place in Indulge would be perfect for healthy eating.  I had a very good salad there.

13 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

The buffet is a perfect size for a 3100 passenger ship. And they have added a new complimentary restaurant, Indulge Food Hall. We have been on the Prima twice and did not notice that the buffet was any more crowded than other NCL ships. For breakfast and lunch, they also use the Food Republic for seating (setting up drink stations there). 

At least they are not like Royal Caribbean with the PA announcements in their buffet "If you are done stuffing your face, get out so more people can stuff their face". 

do you get money from NCL?

• Haha 1

On 3/3/2023 at 3:07 AM, sealynx said:

So apparently NCL is upsizing the last two of the class, to become the biggest NCL-ships in the fleet. I remember reading somewhere that one of the NCL-representatives explaining their choice for smaller ships said 'these ships are the perfect size' (I'll continue the search for where I read it, but haven't found is so far). So I guess, now with the ships in service, they don't seem to be so perfect after all? I am truly curious to what brought them to change their mind.

https://cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/2023/03/norwegian-cruise-line-reveals-upsizing-strategy-on-prima-class/

A large reason for increasing the size of these ships is the decision to go to methanol fuel.  Methanol only provides about 35-40% of the energy that an equivalent volume of diesel fuel, or residual fuel will provide, so the ship needs twice the tank volume to have enough fuel to move the ship for its cruises.  Additionally, methanol tanks are required to have void tanks surrounding them, with leakage detection systems (unlike conventional fuels), so the volume requirements and cost merely to store the methanol onboard goes even higher.  Since the hull volume needs to increase to handle the fuel storage issue, the topsides (hotel) benefits by gaining volume as well.

• Thanks 6

2 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

A large reason for increasing the size of these ships is the decision to go to methanol fuel.  Methanol only provides about 35-40% of the energy that an equivalent volume of diesel fuel, or residual fuel will provide, so the ship needs twice the tank volume to have enough fuel to move the ship for its cruises.  Additionally, methanol tanks are required to have void tanks surrounding them, with leakage detection systems (unlike conventional fuels), so the volume requirements and cost merely to store the methanol onboard goes even higher.  Since the hull volume needs to increase to handle the fuel storage issue, the topsides (hotel) benefits by gaining volume as well.

Thanks for the explanation. 

• Like 2