ABC of Ports in Photos

DamianG

Trieste - Oriana. We were supposed to go to Venice but fog stopped us so we docked in Trieste instead. It was Oriana's maiden visit to that port and it was Christmas Eve. We did not mind the change as we had been to Venice several times and Triese was lovely and festive. I suspect many passengers were disappointed but did not here any moans. No photo of the ship so hope this one will do.

Trieste.thumb.JPG.50b07ec335d7ac4f9f093bb2aec7e122.JPG

• Like 6

Tauranga NZ on Aurora. Sadly the only photo of the ship is very hard to see so I have posted another view of this lovely place. I had a great day as the shops all had sales on and I was able to buy some clothes you don't see in the UK. We also visited the lovely library where I was really impressed with their family history section as it was so clearly organized. It might seem sad going there but I could get good wifi and the staff were very helpful. Talking to the local people is something I always try to do.

1307118274_TaurangaNZ.thumb.JPG.d390d23f0bf4484516484ed58b778146.JPG

• Like 5

Toulon - Oriana. This is the type of port we love. Great weather, great food, sea front restaurants having our favourite French dishes on the menu despite being a bit dated - moules and frites, iles flottant, cafe leigeois etc. It also has a great street market and best of all, a C&A. Now, ladies of a certain age will  understand the nostalgia of entering a C&A store in Europe. You are taken back in time to the 1970s and 1980s. The shops have not changed a bit, and to some extent the clothes are the same too, they make me feel I have been taken back in time.

We also did a boat trip around the harbour spotting many of the French Navy ships. Unfortunately the Charles De Gaulle  aircraft carrier was not in port that day. Altogether a great day and a place I would like to go to more than once but does not seem to feature in many itineraries.

IMG_1909.thumb.JPG.ca881d0a8d1548cf11a42eae8a09c6e3.JPG

• Like 8

Thompson Sound NZ - Oriana. You can just see what for years I thought were blue clouds specific to NZ as I had seen them previously in Milford Sound. I discovered some years later sailing there again but on Aurora that the 'blue clouds' were the exhaust from the funnel caught between the two sides of the Sound. Well, we live and learn.

DSC_5637.thumb.JPG.35aa65ffdcd5c9e6ac4ebf840e185302.JPGDSC_5624.thumb.JPG.d52ed8f464c7663ca914bce417699bc7.JPG

• Like 10

Finally, for my Ts something a bit different. It possibly overlaps with the "What are things like where you are" thread where there has been a discussion on the birds people have seen. problem for us is that Wood Pidgeons have nested in our Yew tree this year and the other small birds have been scared away.

T is for Turtle Dove who hitched a ride on our Adonia balcony when we had left Malaga and were headed for Southampton. I was told they are quite rare, so someone might like to see this as it's on a ship.

Pat

999317301_TurtleDove.thumb.JPG.7c7efdd3c26e9d52ff70d2cfce4e8fcc.JPG

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Elderflower said:

Finally, for my Ts something a bit different. It possibly overlaps with the "What are things like where you are" thread where there has been a discussion on the birds people have seen. problem for us is that Wood Pidgeons have nested in our Yew tree this year and the other small birds have been scared away.

T is for Turtle Dove who hitched a ride on our Adonia balcony when we had left Malaga and were headed for Southampton. I was told they are quite rare, so someone might like to see this as it's on a ship.

Pat

999317301_TurtleDove.thumb.JPG.7c7efdd3c26e9d52ff70d2cfce4e8fcc.JPG

So beautiful. The wing feathers look like lace.

Avril

• Like 1

Here is Oriana in Trieste in October 2017. We were supposed to go to Venice, but were told that we couldn’t get in due to fog. The trouble was other ships did get in to Venice that day and everyone looked at webcams which showed there was no fog! At least we got to see somewhere different that doesn’t get to appear on many P&O itineraries.

089FEFD7-E215-4100-BFA2-7295866725FB.jpeg

Edited by SeaJane
  • Like 7

2 minutes ago, SeaJane said:

Here is Oriana in Trieste in October 2017. We were supposed to go to Venice, but were told that we couldn’t get in due to fog. The trouble was other ships did get in to Venice that day and everyone looked at webcams which showed there was no fog! At least we got to see somewhere different that doesn’t get to appear on many P&O itineraries.

Well, some guys on the shore might say they dont see any fog, while the captain and the crew will not take a risk and go anywhere where they think its not safe. Moreover, how can you know what options and capabilities the crew on the ship has? Maybe they really have some difficulties getting through the fog if its really there.. or potentially could be there 

1 hour ago, SeaJane said:

089FEFD7-E215-4100-BFA2-7295866725FB.jpeg

Yes, we were on that cruise too - see above. We were told the pilots could not take in because of fog. Oops, sorry the time we could not get in was Christmas Eve 2013.

Pat

Edited by Elderflower
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Roger88 said:

Well, some guys on the shore might say they dont see any fog, while the captain and the crew will not take a risk and go anywhere where they think its not safe. Moreover, how can you know what options and capabilities the crew on the ship has? Maybe they really have some difficulties getting through the fog if its really there.. or potentially could be there 

I’m doing my best to ignore Roger. There was a lot more to the story of the several missed ports on that Oriana cruise! 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, SeaJane said:

I’m doing my best to ignore Roger. There was a lot more to the story of the several missed ports on that Oriana cruise! 

I'm sure there was. I'm not surprised he's very knowledgable about fog. Seems to be in one most of the time😊

Avril

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

well.....we are nearing the end of the alphabet and I have searched my photographs for 'U' ports but could only come up with Ushuaia which is on the southern tip of Argentina. We visited there on Star Princess in 2013. I'm posting a few pictures of the area as well as the ship..... 

Star Princess, Ushuaia, Argentina 2.JPG

Star Princess, Ushuaia, Argentina.JPG

Star Ptincess, Ushuaia, Arhentina (2).JPG

Star Ptincess, Ushuaia, Arhentina (3).JPG

• Like 5