Travel Insurance Refund

Has anyone had their travel insurance refunded or credited.  I was fortunate to get my airfares refunded and a credit for cruise deposit .

I was insured with 1 Cover but they seem to be one of the very few insurance companies who will not refund.  Has  anyone tried for a future credit from them.

I have $1100 tied up with them .

Edited by harbourside

12 minutes ago, harbourside said:

Has anyone had their travel insurance refunded or credited.  I was fortunate to get my airfares refunded and a credit for cruise deposit .

I was insured with 1 Cover but they seem to be one of the very few insurance companies who will not refund.  Has  anyone tried for a future credit from them.

I dont know what kind of insurance it should be but I never heard of insurance refunds.. I mean unless it was a part of your travel ticket which got cancelled for some serious reason for the company to refund you on your insurance as well. Also, such insurance usually doesnt cost much, so people just abandon asking about refunding it 

10 minutes ago, harbourside said:

We have a credit from Insure & Go but it is only valid until February 2021, so every possibility we won't be able to use it. I had to take it to their Disputes section to have it resolved. I did ask for a refund, but that was knocked back immediately. 

Good luck,

Leigh

I had a travel policy from Tick insurance which I think is also Insure and go. My Queen Elizabeth cruise in March was cancelled and they allowed a full credit valid until September.
I tried to use the credit for a short trip to Cairns a few weeks ago only to find they are not selling policies at the moment due to travel restrictions.

I had a multi trip policy with Columbus Direct taken out in November last year. I only got covered for one cruise in February before everything else was cancelled. I wrote to them at the end of the June asking if I could get a refund for the unused portion of my insurance as it was not going to be used. They allowed me to cancel the remainder (4 months out of the 12) and gave me a refund. It was not a full refund as there were some costs that couldn't be reduced. From a premium of $756 I got a refund of $163. Not earth shattering but better than a kick in the pants. Their decision may have been affected as they were no longer selling travel insurance policies.

3 minutes ago, nnps said:

Their decision may have been affected as they were no longer selling travel insurance policies.

I have been reading that getting cover for COVID-19 is nigh impossible. I cannot see us returning to cruising until we can get travel insurance.

We received a partial refund from AllClear travel insurance, they are an offshoot of Insure and Go, same office,  but only after getting AFCA involved. We paid over $3600 refund was $2000.

As we probably would not have used the policy even if they had offered an extension of time we were happy with the outcome. Would we have liked more, or course but sometimes a bird in the hand etc. Without AFCA AllClear refused to even consider a refund. I think it pays to try every option available.

We were insured with Woolworths for a cruise in November, policy taken out about January I think.  We applied for a refund in June when we knew the cruise wouldn't go ahead and they refunded our premium in full, paying it back to our credit card that we used to pay.

1 hour ago, harbourside said:

1 Cover have given us a credit note for our cruise cancelled in March.

Our annual Insure & Go policy has been deferred until international travel is permitted. The period of the deferral will extend the expiry date of the policy once it kicks in again. So, for example, our policy expires next January. If there is no overseas travel permitted this year it will get extended to cover most of next year, possibly even longer. We were happy with that.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

14 hours ago, ekka49 said:

1 Cover have given us a credit note for our cruise cancelled in March.

How long is the credit note valid for.  (From the start date of your cancelled cruise or from the date insurance was taken out).

Thanks

Edited by harbourside

17 hours ago, harbourside said:

Hi there, we had our travel insurance credited by 1 cover, we took out insurance with them in September last year for a European trip in May this year.

We have 18 months to apply it to a trip or several trips, but don't have to have traveled by then.

Just need to be able to travel by then😄

Edited by joejoe 59
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, harbourside said:

How long is the credit note valid for.  (From the start date of your cancelled cruise or from the date insurance was taken out).

Thanks

1cover have given us eighteen months from April 2020 to use the credit note.

That's from when the cruise was cancelled.

Edited by ekka49
Correction

I took out a policy with Australia Post TI in December for our cruise in April. Princess cancelled the cruise about two weeks before we were to fly into Sydney to join the Sun Princess. As soon as I received notification that Princess had cancelled the trip I contacted Australia Post insurance who told me that if I had cancelled the policy within two weeks of taking it out in December I would have received a full refund they informed me that I would only get a part refund which is explained in their PDS  provided I had no outstanding claims. As it turned out I got 75% of the premium paid refunded to my credit card which I felt was fair enough.

Edited by ozziepost

Just a personal opinion of course but I think any cash refund is better than a extension of time. Who know when, or if, you will want to travel again. Plus there is always a risk the insurance company will go out of business, rendering the policy useless.

We had a refund of our policy from Defence Health when we called after our cruise was cancelled a few months back. We have an annual policy which was due to start beginning of August, not much chance of that being useful....

We lost $2400 to INSURE and GO - will never deal with them again. BUT, Mr Morrison gave us $3000 for free (as poor deserving Aged Pensioners) so I figure we are $600 ahead. Why Mr Morrison gave us $3000, I don't know because the virus had not affected our financial position at all (other then the Insurance loss) 🙂 

• Like 1

Thanks for all your reply's.  If it was only a few hundred dollars I would not bother pursing it.   But as it was $1100 I though I might as well try.  The high price is because we are in our 70's and the trip was for 25 days to Spain, Morocco, Senegal, and South America.  This was to be our last big trip, (we had said we would not go back to Europe because we are getting past the long flights from NZ, but got a good deal on business class flights ).  In the future, if we can cruise, it will be close to home.  Would love to do a Circle Australia cruise.  .  Our cruise was to be on Viking Jupiter, we had sailed with them before, and liked the experience.  We like small ships, maybe this is because we have done 6 river cruises with APT and Scenic.

1 hour ago, bazzaw said:

We lost $2400 to INSURE and GO - will never deal with them again. BUT, Mr Morrison gave us $3000 for free (as poor deserving Aged Pensioners) so I figure we are $600 ahead. Why Mr Morrison gave us $3000, I don't know because the virus had not affected our financial position at all (other then the Insurance loss) 🙂 

This year, I tried to buy Australian cruise travel insurance with Insure and Go, but they wouldn't sell a policy to me because it was longer than 4 months prior to the ferry trip in NQld.  I had used Insure and Go for years, with no claims.  Guess I was lucky I didn't outlay any money!