Where in the world ?

Host Hattie

1 hour ago, babs135 said:

Where am I?

holiday.JPG

Four Mile Beach, Port Douglas, Queensland, facing south.

I found an almost identical photo, with lots more people on it, published by an immigration service. They had attempted to hide it behind a blurred mask with text on it.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, bluemarble said:

By the way, @Colin_Cameron should be able to tell us about Porquerolles as a Cunard port. He reported earlier that the former Cunard ship Sea Goddess II called there at some point in the past.

I thought I had posted a photo from there, but obviously not. I’m not at home and don’t remember the exact date but it would have been ‘99 or early 2000. Will see what I can dig out when I get home.

A great time on a tiny ship. Always remember that the best coffee on board was to be found on the bridge which was always open. In the days before scanning cards, everyone on board had their own space on one of those sliding In/Out boards.

We've been doing quite nicely adding more ports to our list. It's great to see both past contributors and new contributors joining in to give this thread new life. By my count, with the addition of Port Douglas, we are now up to 276 ports seen on this thread. @sfred, I think we both forgot to count Fuerteventura as port number 272 earlier.

Since we are now three pages on in this thread from when I last posted the lists of seen and unseen ports, I will go ahead and post updated lists now.

Where in the World 2022-08-25.txt   Cunard ports not seen yet 2022-08-25.txt

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, D&N said:

Four Mile Beach, Port Douglas, Queensland, facing south.

I found an almost identical photo, with lots more people on it, published by an immigration service. They had attempted to hide it behind a blurred mask with text on it.

Correct. We visited the normally pristine beach not long after a huge cyclone had hit the area and they were still attempting a clean up. Port Douglas itself was very pleasant.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, D&N said:

A port previously seen that probably should be fairly easy.

Where were we (and the ships)?

But what relates the two ships?

And what's the Cunard connection?

DSCF0050.JPG

Very interesting! Here is what I think this photo is showing.

The location is Cannes, France.

The ship on the left is P&O Arcadia (in an earlier livery)

The ship on the right is (was) Ocean Village (2003-2010)

The connection between the two ships is that Ocean Village was previously P&O Arcadia before she was sold to Ocean Village and replaced by the current P&O Arcadia. This photo is showing two generations of P&O Arcadia.

The connection to Cunard is that the build of the current P&O Arcadia had been allocated to Cunard and was originally going to be Queen Victoria before she was reallocated to P&O as Arcadia instead.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

Very interesting! Here is what I think this photo is showing.

The location is Cannes, France.

The ship on the left is P&O Arcadia (in an earlier livery)

The ship on the right is (was) Ocean Village (2003-2010)

The connection between the two ships is that Ocean Village was previously P&O Arcadia before she was sold to Ocean Village and replaced by the current P&O Arcadia. This photo is showing two generations of P&O Arcadia.

The connection to Cunard is that the build of the current P&O Arcadia had been allocated to Cunard and was originally going to be Queen Victoria before she was reallocated to P&O as Arcadia instead.

Congratulations! @bluemarble. You are spot on.

Pictured just over 3 months before we sailed on Arcadia, and of course had booked well before then.

That was what I was looking for, although I was aware of the broad connection that they were all under Carnival ownership. I only realised today, another link; Fair Majesty and it's subsequent incarnations was built at Chantiers de l'Atlantique.

I wanted to get that out of the road before next Wednesday.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bluemarble said:

By my count, with the addition of Port Douglas, we are now up to 276 ports seen on this thread. @sfred, I think we both forgot to count Fuerteventura as port number 272 earlier.

Good catch, thanks @bluemarble.  I've moved Fuerteventura from unseen to seen.  Your count is a little off though - we are at 576 ports.  Probably just a typo in your post.

As an aside, QE is scheduled to be in Port Douglas later this year, on 21 November (Australia time).  I had put a note in my diary to look for a bridgecam photo on that day, thinking that that was going to be the first time since the restart that a Cunard ship would be at an "unseen" port.  Thankfully QV in Norway enabled an earlier renewal of this thread. 

Port Douglas was one of the few remaining Australia ports on the unseen list.  I've never been there, despite wanting to go for some time.  QE might have been a good opportunity, except that Mrs sfred and I are on QM2 on its Norway trip in November (and very eagerly looking forward to be back aboard, I must say.)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, D&N said:

As an aside, you'll note that the dress code for hill walking includes a collared shirt for gentlemen! 🤣

😄 !!   Cunard does relax the bush walking dress code when in Australia. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, babs135 said:

Correct. We visited the normally pristine beach not long after a huge cyclone had hit the area and they were still attempting a clean up. Port Douglas itself was very pleasant.

Thanks @babs135 for the Port Douglas photo.  I've been wanting to go there for some time.  Hopefully one day.  Although still in Queensland, it is a 1,764km drive north from Brisbane, so not smething one can do in a day trip.  Glad to hear you had a pleasant stay.

We can use this photo to play the game, following recent comments .....

Slight problem; I'm not sure what the ship is!

It's a scan of a photo that I took on morning of Saturday, June 28th, 1997.

I seem to remember doing some research afterwards and did identify exactly which it was. I've been looking at photos today and could make a guess based on those but I don't think I could be certain.

It would be interesting if anyone here was actually on it that day, we might have passed within a few metres.

There was another ship in port as well, which I have some video footage of us passing. I'll reveal that later in case anyone else already knows and wants to volunteer the info.

I don't think this is one for researchers, you probably need the knowledge already.

1997-06-25_2021-03-04_30165.JPG

3 hours ago, D&N said:

We can use this photo to play the game, following recent comments .....

Slight problem; I'm not sure what the ship is!

It's a scan of a photo that I took on morning of Saturday, June 28th, 1997.

I seem to remember doing some research afterwards and did identify exactly which it was. I've been looking at photos today and could make a guess based on those but I don't think I could be certain.

It would be interesting if anyone here was actually on it that day, we might have passed within a few metres.

There was another ship in port as well, which I have some video footage of us passing. I'll reveal that later in case anyone else already knows and wants to volunteer the info.

I don't think this is one for researchers, you probably need the knowledge already.

1997-06-25_2021-03-04_30165.JPG

I forgot that I do have a still photo of the other ship as well, if that's any help.

1997-06-25_2021-03-04_30164.JPG

1 hour ago, sogne said:

I  think this qualifies as a sail by as the captain on departing a maiden call said "we will cruise slowly  as we sail by this wonderful scenery"

ZXY.jpg

I didn't think it looked like anything we saw in Alaska, albeit we would only have seen a fraction of what's there. And description of departing a maiden call probably wouldn't have fitted. So I was inclined to Norway.

I had switched from Google to Yandex and was about to give up and made a last ditch attempt at a panoramic crop taking out most of the sea and sky, and came across this near identical photo:

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Kongsfjorden_112.JPG

I was looking for the slope descending from left of frame but most other aspects match up as well.

I think it's in Kongsfjorden, but the glacier may have a name? Port could be Ny-Alesund?

Perhaps someone else needs to finish it off.

1 minute ago, D&N said:

I think it's in Kongsfjorden, but the glacier may have a name? Port could be Ny-Alesund?

Perhaps someone else needs to finish it off.

This time you just beat me @D&N! The names of the glaciers I've come up with are the Kronebreen and Kongsvegen glaciers. Kronebreen is the glacier emerging between the mountains just right of center while Kongsvegen is the glacier emerging from the far right. The two glaciers merge as they reach the Kongsfjorden in the foreground.

6 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

This time you just beat me @D&N! The names of the glaciers I've come up with are the Kronebreen and Kongsvegen glaciers. Kronebreen is the glacier emerging between the mountains just right of center while Kongsvegen is the glacier emerging from the far right. The two glaciers merge as they reach the Kongsfjorden in the foreground.

I saw those two, but was wondering how easily the ship would pass them.

If it were one of them, going by a map on meltwater delivery there is feeder, "Infantfona" that could be what we see as a pyramid shaped indentation in the rock formation to right background.

Otherwise I thought it might be further towards sea.

18 minutes ago, D&N said:

I saw those two, but was wondering how easily the ship would pass them.

If it were one of them, going by a map on meltwater delivery there is feeder, "Infantfona" that could be what we see as a pyramid shaped indentation in the rock formation to right background.

Otherwise I thought it might be further towards sea.

I see what you mean. There's one source identifying the ice sheet descending to the sea from Kronebreen as "Infantfonna". This source seems to indicate "Infantfonna" is the narrow strip of the ice sheet where the Kronebreen and Kongsvegen meet: https://www.researchgate.net/figure/Front-of-Kronebreen-Infantfonna-and-Kongsvegen-Locations-of-cameras-R-right-Lleft_fig1_50829244

Either way, it's all very interesting. I never imagined how far that photo would take us into the details of glacier identification. I was originally puzzled when I found different similar photos identifying the scene as either Kronebreen or Kongsvegen. Now I think we know the rest of the story.

Now back to trying to figure out exactly which ship is in your first photo as well as trying to get any sort of lead on identifying the ship in your second photo!

18 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

Now back to trying to figure out exactly which ship is in your first photo as well as trying to get any sort of lead on identifying the ship in your second photo!

My photo looks like the rear of the port lifeboats is slightly different.

Other photos show ships that may be like that, or with two identical lifeboats.

On that basis I could identify it, but as lifeboats are moveable I'm not so sure.

Date and location should narrow down the other.

Was hoping perhaps @Colin_Cameron might have been on it.

Edited by D&N

Hopefully I'm not spoiling anyone's research!

I think it may have been Sea Goddess II, based on my previous examination of pictures of port lifeboats. Several photos of "I" show both identical, where I've seen the port side of "II" they are slightly different. It would have helped if I'd stuck with 35mm rather than switching to APS photography for a few years. I suspect the larger capture area and ability to scan from negatives on 35mm would have revealed the name.

Seabourn Spirit is the other one. I don't think there are any real differences between the 3 that Colin mentioned when viewed from the front.

It was our 1st visit to this area (motoring) and we stayed at the cheap Formule1 Hotel (£15/night with continental) about a mile from where we stay now. I must have researched Monaco, as we took swimming gear with us. My main priority was to walk round parts of the Grand Prix circuit looking at rubber marks on kerbs and such like. We passed Spirit, and I commented that it must have previously been a car ferry, never having seen a superyacht before with a fold down water-sports platform at the stern. Security was almost nil. We walked close to the ship, could easily have helped ourselves to items from the beverage delivery that was in progress and mingled with passengers boarding a coach. I also comment on the packed lunches being loaded onto the coach.

Later we visited the municipal pool, the one in the port. It's not there for the elite, but for general Monegasques and the low prices reflected that. We had a clear view of the stern of Sea Goddess and there seemed to just be a gangway to the quay. Security was simply crew members checking anyone using the gangway, otherwise you could go as close as you liked.

I did some research on both ships when I returned home, as I'd not previously been aware of that class of cruising. I've never had any inclination to try it, and probably couldn't afford it, but interesting nevertheless.

Very good. All I had been able to come up with so far was to rule out Seabourn Legend. There's an itinerary placing her in San Francisco on June 10, 1997 after the completion of an Alaskan cruise. It would have been difficult for Legend to have made it to Monaco by June 28. There are ship spotter photos placing Pride and Spirit both in Kiel, Germany in May and August of 1997 respectively, so those ships were both still in the running.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, bluemarble said:

The names of the glaciers I've come up with are the Kronebreen and Kongsvegen glaciers. Kronebreen is the glacier emerging between the mountains just right of center while Kongsvegen is the glacier emerging from the far right. The two glaciers merge as they reach the Kongsfjorden in the foreground.

Unless there are any alternative rulings, I'll count port/cruise-by number 577 as Kongsfjorden, Norway. 

Edited by sfred