Where in the world ?

Host Hattie

12 hours ago, exlondoner said:

Still think Corfu, and the other Ionian Islands, should be included, as they were a British Protectorate after the Napoleonic Wars until 1868. Which is why they play cricket on the Liston.

And have a Marks&Spencer!  🙂  I've changed Corfu to Former Empire.

• Like 1

Now that we've started a new page on this thread and are a couple pages on since I last posted our seen and unseen Cunard ports lists, I'll post the latest lists here.

There are still plenty of opportunities to post photos you may have of any of the Cunard ports we haven't seen yet. We also welcome photos to identify which might provide different perspectives on ports we have already seen.

Where in the World 2022-08-30.txt   Cunard ports not seen yet 2022-08-30.txt

3 hours ago, bluemarble said:

Who about this one? It's a webcam capture of a port we've already seen but I thought this might be an interesting challenge for the 4000th post on this thread.

I think this will be a challenge!  I'm not even sure how to start.  I can't make out whether the ship is QE or QV, whether the sun is a rise or set,  the colours of the cranes or tugs,  any sign wording, or building shapes other than the outlines on the horison.  Perhaps inspiration will strike later today to detect some other clues.

Edited by sfred

I'll bring that last image of mine forward to this page for convenience. Agreed there isn't a lot work with there. As we've done in the past, I'll let this stew until tomorrow before posting an additional hint. I'll post a follow-up if needed tomorrow about 2:00pm my Central US time, 8:00pm UK time, 6:00am Australian Eastern time. It's hard to find a time that works for everyone but that might be about right to give everyone a shot at it.

318967743_WhereintheWorld(101).jpg.a3973

• Like 1

Ah! Looking at this on a larger screen today and I think I recognise the building at the left with the rounded roof.

I thought it was the habour control tower on the approach to Rotterdam but apparently not. On checking just now it's the Mammoet building.

It can be seen on the Queen Victoria Maiden Voyage video (in the Cunard Cruise Videos thread) at 10:20.

But that would mean we are looking east. So why is she leaving Rotterdam at sunrise? Maybe I should give this some more thought.

Edited by Colin_Cameron
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Colin_Cameron said:

Ah! Looking at this on a larger screen today and I think I recognise the building at the left with the rounded roof.

I thought it was the habour control tower on the approach to Rotterdam but apparently not. On checking just now it's the Mammoet building.

It can be seen on the Queen Victoria Maiden Voyage video (in the Cunard Cruise Videos thread) at 10:20.

But that would mean we are looking east. So why is she leaving Rotterdam at sunrise? Maybe I should give this some more thought.

I think @Colin_Cameronmay be right.  There are several matches to Rotterdam.  The rounded roof building at the left does look like the Mammoet Schiedam.  The webcam might be at or nearby to the Grand Café Nautique.  This location is about the correct distance from the Mammoet, and looking east there are cargo ships at the piers at the left, and a matching red cargo crane.   The various streetview images also show the buildings on the horizon in the webcam photo.

If this is correct, a question remains of why the Cunard ship (I still can't tell whether QV or QE) is therefore departing at sunrise.  Perhaps an overnight stay, or a delay?

Also if correct, my congratulations to @Colin_Cameron!!  That is an amazing recognotion of a webcam photo with very few clues.

Edited by sfred
  • Like 2

Congratulations, @Colin_Cameron for figuring out one of the few clues in that image. One other potentially useful clue in the distant skyline could be the tall thin pencil-shaped building seen just to the right of the Mammoet Schiedam. That might be De Zalmhaven. @sfred, that image is indeed the view from the Port of Rotterdam's Vlaardingen webcam which is located in the vicinity of the Grand Café Nautique. The perspective on the image I captured is slightly different than the usual full view from that webcam because there was a camera operator zooming and panning to follow the ship.

I figured the position of the sun might cause some confusion. That webcam capture is showing QV's departure from Rotterdam yesterday morning (August 30). None of the itineraries I saw (including Cunard's) indicated QV was planning to do an overnight in Rotterdam although one online itinerary did have her listed for a 23:59 departure on August 29. The Port of Rotterdam had her listed for a departure at 06:00 yesterday and that is the approximate time she departed Rotterdam. The time of that webcam capture at Vlaardigen was approximately 07:30.

• Like 2

Congratulations, @sfred for surpassing the milestone of 500 posts on this thread. Time for another honor roll listing all those who have contributed 50 or more posts to this amazing thread.

Contributor             Posts

bluemarble              1076

sfred                           501

Host Hattie                344

exlondoner                297

Colin_Cameron         275

carlmm                       264

Solent Richard           219

Palmeat                      175

Essiesmom                106

Lanky Lad                   103

sogne                            98

Ray66                            87

ExArkie                         60

North West Newbie    58

Yaldi                              53

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, techteach said:

Does the picture have to include a Cunard ship or be taken from a Cunard ship?

No, your picture does not have to include a Cunard ship or be taken from a Cunard ship. We've relaxed the original premise quite a bit over time to keep this thread going. If you have a photo of a port (or even just the vicinity of a port) on our "unseen" ports list that would be fantastic. Or if you have a photo showing an interesting perspective on a port we've already seen, that's all good too. We have had quite a few repeats (such as Rotterdam).

Edited by bluemarble

1 hour ago, exlondoner said:

I have no idea whether the cranes make the port easily identifiable, but I thought the tenders chasing each other were cute.

B100DFE2-40B3-4E6A-BD24-397376D369B1.thumb.jpeg.faaa4397f1956dc315416113aeac60ea.jpeg

I think this is Las Palmas de Gran Canaria. What did the trick for me was seeing the lettering "CEISA" on the building in front of the dome. That's "Cementos Especiales De Las Islas", with the islands being the Canary Islands. From there I was able to match this photo to Las Palmas. Being able to match the large crane in the center background to the port of Las Palmas cemented the identification (pun intended).

About half an hour behind @bluemarble

Spotted CEISA but kept finding smaller ports. Google 3D view suggests they've painted over the name recently.

That must have been exciting to watch though. A new activity in suitable ports; Tender Racing! 😂

2 hours ago, techteach said:

This is on the cruise by list.

ABC4BA27-86D0-4A3F-9407-F8942C960092.jpeg

Has to be Dawes Glacier.

Several photos have the same rock formation detail. The cross near foot of foreground mountain/hill in centre of pic, the tree branch effect further left on same mountain.

Some photos credited as having been taken from Celebrity Solstice.

5 minutes ago, D&N said:

Has to be Dawes Glacier.

Several photos have the same rock formation detail. The cross near foot of foreground mountain/hill in centre of pic, the tree branch effect further left on same mountain.

Some photos credited as having been taken from Celebrity Solstice.

Just for the sake of completeness, which cruise-by call listed on our unseen ports list would that be (based on the fjord rather than the glacier itself)?

3 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

Just for the sake of completeness, which cruise-by call listed on our unseen ports list would that be (based on the fjord rather than the glacier itself)?

Endicott Arm Fjord. I hadn't actually looked for that one on list. Sorry.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, bluemarble said:

I think this is Las Palmas de Gran Canaria. What did the trick for me was seeing the lettering "CEISA" on the building in front of the dome. That's "Cementos Especiales De Las Islas", with the islands being the Canary Islands. From there I was able to match this photo to Las Palmas. Being able to match the large crane in the center background to the port of Las Palmas cemented the identification (pun intended).

Brilliant.

I reviewed the unseen port list and, out of the couple of hundred locations, I have actually been to one. This was not on a Cunard ship, but the picture below was taken as we were pulling into the port, just before docking. Unfortunately, my wife was ill for a couple of days and indisposed during our time in port, so I wandered about the ship taking pictures while she rested and recovered. She was okay for the rest of the trip. Not a lot to go on in this picture, so if no one gets it, I'll post a second picture from the location that is more easily identified.

image.thumb.png.e9fc8edea37eef00addb47e62c8902a8.png