Where in the world is HAL?

bennybear

1 hour ago, ScottishMaid said:

Bali

Yes!  The port of Benoa, Bali, is actually around the peninsula and then to the left.  Here is the port, and the welcome we received.

646070847_Benoaport.jpg.3468d9274f2f01b55233639654609243.jpg

1604796739_welcoming1.jpg.0123ecabbab802159b3c75836d20b1cf.jpg

1409376018_welcoming2.jpg.488c024062ca21c0362199426ba1c6b1.jpg

The day before we arrived, we learned that the captain was going to allow the crew to bring aboard family members and friends, to show them the ship, where they worked, lived, etc.  The dining room was closed for lunch that day, and as many of the crew as could do so could also go ashore if they wanted. 

Someone had a great idea that a lot of us adopted -- we left notes to our cabin stewards that we could make our own beds and clean our cabins for the day, and they should skip us to have more free time to spend.  We also included an extra tip for them.  My guess is more than half of at least the cabins on our deck posted notes, and I expect some also tipped as well.   We heard from our cabin stewards that one had brought family on board, and the other who had no family to meet him, had enjoyed the day ashore, eating good food, shopping, etc.  Our DR stewards also enjoyed the visit to their home country.

Dave

Edited by RetiredMustang
  • Like 1

On 10/5/2020 at 10:02 AM, RetiredMustang said:

Where is this tender pier?

tender pier 2.jpg

Looks like you've got a pic of a HAL security guard (or supervisor) on the little dock at Fanning Island waiting for the arrival of the next tender. The time I was there with Statendam, the dock was in sad shape with several of the wooden planks missing/rotted away. Two of Statendam carpenters came out and replaced (planks)/repaired the dock that day. It was Captain Eric van der Wal's first contract after being promoted, and an interesting one, it turned out to be incl. a medevac by the a French Navy Dauphin helo from Flotille 35 of a sick crew member off Tahiti   

HAL Medevac SADM Oct 2013 by French Navy SA365N Dauphin from Flottile 35 Detach. Base Aerienne Faa'a (Papeete, Tahiti) off Tahiti #8.jpg

HAL Medevac SADM Oct 2013 by French Navy SA365N Dauphin from Flottile 35 Detach. Base Aerienne Faa'a (Papeete, Tahiti) off Tahiti #9.jpg

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

Looks like you've got a pic of a HAL security guard (or supervisor) on the little dock at Fanning Island waiting for the arrival of the next tender. The time I was there with Statendam, the dock was in sad shape with several of the wooden planks missing/rotted away. Two of Statendam carpenters came out and replaced (planks)/repaired the dock that day. It was Captain Eric van der Wal's first contract after being promoted, and an interesting one, it turned out to be incl. a medevac by the a French Navy Dauphin helo from Flotille 35 of a sick crew member off Tahiti   

HAL Medevac SADM Oct 2013 by French Navy SA365N Dauphin from Flottile 35 Detach. Base Aerienne Faa'a (Papeete, Tahiti) off Tahiti #8.jpg

HAL Medevac SADM Oct 2013 by French Navy SA365N Dauphin from Flottile 35 Detach. Base Aerienne Faa'a (Papeete, Tahiti) off Tahiti #9.jpg

Well, the Statendam carpenters did a great job, as the pier was in excellent repair when we visited in 2018.

I saw the security person looking like he was in an Otis Redding song (Sittin' on the Dock of the Bay) and had to take the shot.

Dave

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, RetiredMustang said:

Where is this port?

DSCN3515.thumb.jpg.28531fe73b7e8a61da589d1e82916b07.jpg

Dave

I know that pier; there's a pontoon portion attached to it where the ship docks and it used to be covered by astroturf, a real tripping hazard. Inside that big palapa, you can get your passport stamped; Puerto Quetzal, Guatemala

34 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

I know that pier; there's a pontoon portion attached to it where the ship docks and it used to be covered by astroturf, a real tripping hazard. Inside that big palapa, you can get your passport stamped; Puerto Quetzal, Guatemala

Winner!  The first time we visited, there was not much at all, just a staging area for tour buses, and a smaller shuttle to the seaman's across the port.  When we came back a few years later, there was the developed port area with, as you say, the astroturf pontoon tripping hazard.

I didn't get my passport stamped, but I did get my whistle wetted at the bar to the right of the palapa.😁

Dave

• Like 1