Where in the world is HAL?

bennybear

2 hours ago, J_M_F said:

Not St Martin. This is a tender port but the weather and wave action are such that even when a ship calls there, there is a good chance they won't be able to land. The runway was built by the US as an emergency landing field for the space shuttle.

Easter Island!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Alberta Quilter said:

I think it's Finland; the Suomenlinna fort.  Check this Wikipedia post:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suomenlinna

Thank you!  The wikipedia info was just what I needed!  It’s still a bit confusing but these countries have a long intertwined history.  I’ll add it to the end of the Finland slideshow.

I’m going through all of those pictures we have taken on our cruises and stored on the computer for the future (?) and putting each location into a reasonably short slideshow.  When I came across Finland, Day at Sea, Sweden....I couldn’t figure out where the Day at Sea should be divided between sail out of Finland and sail in to Sweden.  This project has been a wonderful way to fill my time during our shut down. 

Just now, Copper10-8 said:

Barbados Mahn! 😉 

Yes!  I walked through the cruise terminal (past all the crew clustered around the electrical outlets, using the free wi-fi) and out the back to the bar called Coconuts.  The two clues are the flying fish sandwich (called a fish cutter) and a Banks beer, the Bajan specialty and one of the finest in the Caribbean.

Dave

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

Where is Statendam departing from? A hint are the structures at her stern

HAL SADM at.jpg

I'm watching the Tampa Bay Rays vs the New York Yankees in the ALDS now, but strangely, they are playing in the city where I think this view of the Statendam was leaving from.

Just now, St Pete Cruiser said:

I'm watching the Tampa Bay Rays vs the New York Yankees in the ALDS now, but strangely, they are playing in the city where I think this view of the Statendam was leaving from.

Good luck to the Rays (not a Yankee fan) and, like I said, you're ona roll😉 

Yes, that's Statendam passing Naval Air Station North Island, San Diego with just some of the helicopter hangars (NAS North Island hosts seventeen helo squadrons, two fixed wing squadrons and one tilt-rotor sqn) on the left and the Coronado Bay Bridge just visible at her bow

NAS North Island

2 minutes ago, cruzingnut said:

Hoonah, AK?

Yes, Hoonah/Icy Strait Point.  The tricky bit is that the photo was taken in 2014, when it was a tender port.  Now, they have a pier that cruise ships can tie up to, I understand.  Here is what the port looked like in 2014.

1851208292_dockarea.jpg.c3fa2022bb8b8410c02362cfb078b243.jpg

Dave

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, RetiredMustang said:

Yes, Hoonah/Icy Strait Point.  The tricky bit is that the photo was taken in 2014, when it was a tender port.  Now, they have a pier that cruise ships can tie up to, I understand.  Here is what the port looked like in 2014.

1851208292_dockarea.jpg.c3fa2022bb8b8410c02362cfb078b243.jpg

Dave

Not tricky for me though as it was way back in 2011 that we went there!  We really need to go back to AK; only been the one time on the 2 week Amsterdam cruise.