Sailing Feb. 7???

We are booked on Allure Feb. 7 and would like to know if anyone things that will be a go.  How long do you think the trial sailings will last?  Will they go from the trial sailings to short paying customer sailings before getting to the 7 day ones.  Now sure about all the testing either.  We have to go from west coast to east to hop a ship and who know what could happen in a day.  Final payment is due in a few days so do we take a chance.  We could make payment and hope for RCI to cancel then get the FCC to pay for our Alaska cruise in Sept.  Would love to hear opinions.

Thanks

7 minutes ago, lovescats5 said:

We are booked on Allure Feb. 7 and would like to know if anyone things that will be a go.  How long do you think the trial sailings will last?  Will they go from the trial sailings to short paying customer sailings before getting to the 7 day ones.  Now sure about all the testing either.  We have to go from west coast to east to hop a ship and who know what could happen in a day.  Final payment is due in a few days so do we take a chance.  We could make payment and hope for RCI to cancel then get the FCC to pay for our Alaska cruise in Sept.  Would love to hear opinions.

Thanks

I do not have a crystal ball, but the way I have read the CDC order, and what I believe I understand of the timing, I cancelled a February sailing yesterday before final payment, just didn't feel good about investing more money on February 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, lovelife said:

I just received an email from Royal saying brighter days are ahead referencing my Navigator 4-night 2/15/21 sailing and they can't wait to welcome me on board.. ...I'm also on Allure 2/7/21 but got nothing on that one.

I got one yesterday for my Dec 20th cruise....automated e mails...don’t read anything into them. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, lovelife said:

Wonder why they skipped over my first four prior to 2/15?

No idea other than Royal IT strikes again.  It could also have been one of those e mail that only goes out once per e mail address.

There’s no way that they adjusted their e mail strategy in less than a day since the CDC announced their plan.  Royal doesn’t even know for sure what is going to sail or not sail at this point. 

Edited by Ourusualbeach
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, lovescats5 said:

Thanks

We are also on this sailing and having had multiple cancellations in 2020, I am beyond ready to do what it takes to be on the high seas again. We also have my bucket list cruise, a Transatlantic in April. This is  the one I am really worried about since it involves a European country. Keeping my fingers crossed.   

3 hours ago, lovelife said:

I just received an email from Royal saying brighter days are ahead referencing my Navigator 4-night 2/15/21 sailing and they can't wait to welcome me on board.. ...I'm also on Allure 2/7/21 but got nothing on that one.

I also got one for my Oct 2021 booked cruise...seems like they wanted me to purchase something through the cruise planner. I think that was the reason for the welcome.:classic_wink:

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ashland said:

I also got one for my Oct 2021 booked cruise...seems like they wanted me to purchase something through the cruise planner. I think that was the reason for the welcome.:classic_wink:

This e-mail was different from the cruise planner-pushing ones I frequently get for the many bookings I have. I definitely won't read anything into it. 🤨

2 hours ago, The sea calls my name said:

We are also on this sailing and having had multiple cancellations in 2020, I am beyond ready to do what it takes to be on the high seas again. We also have my bucket list cruise, a Transatlantic in April. This is  the one I am really worried about since it involves a European country. Keeping my fingers crossed.   

Based on the requirements of cruises being 7 days or less, I don’t see any TA cruises for a while. But since it ends in Europe, the CDC may not have jurisdiction over it.

8 hours ago, JT1962 said:

Based on the requirements of cruises being 7 days or less, I don’t see any TA cruises for a while. But since it ends in Europe, the CDC may not have jurisdiction over it.

If it starts or ends in the US the CDC has jurisdiction.  I doubt there will be open travel to Europe by April.  You may need to quarantine in Europe for a few weeks.

12 hours ago, lovescats5 said:

Thanks

No you will not be sailing on February 7.  If you have a refundable deposit cancel now.  If you have a non-refundable deposit, then I would make final payment and request a complete refund when Royal cancels.  In either case, I would get my money back now if I could.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, JT1962 said:

I don't think they do either, but my concern would be if the European ports will be open or not. 

35 minutes ago, ReneeFLL said:

I don't think they do either, but my concern would be if the European ports will be open or not. 

Not sure CDC would be the bigger issue compared to general travel restrictions between continents. Sydney could be open to cruise ships and CDC won't care but Australia may not allow folks from the US to travel there - can't have a TP.

Edited by Biker19

16 hours ago, The sea calls my name said:

We’re on the Reflection for a 16 Nt 19 April 21 FLL -> AMS TA B2B with a 12 Nt British Isles 5 May 21 AMS -> AMS. This is a re-book of the ‘20 cruise pair, we got a great price, and even though it’s anoth three months to final payment, I’m very pessimistic that it will sail with passengers. We haven’t booked air or ground, and I’m inclined to just pick up our deposit as FCC to try a shift to ‘22. Is it really worth it to make final for the 33% or to get the NRD back, and have RCL hold the money for another year?

Edited by docruth

The biggest question for when cruises start is whether you can afford a 2-week mandatory quarantine in a make shift prison? If the cruise line is required to quarantine the entire ship, it is not going to be cheap, it is not going to be luxury accommodations. A cruise from Port Everglades and Miami would probably have a tent city on the tarmac of the old Homestead AFB or something similar. With required security, medical, and food staff, they will bill a per person rate of about $1,000 or more. Imagine a family of 4, 14 days, at $1,000 per day.

The CDC has been clear about this point ever since they put that stupid public questionnaire out. Mandatory quarantine of an infected ship at the expense of the cruise line. The cruise lines are OK because that is a fee that will be passed to the passengers. The passengers will be the ones that have to sign the document accepting the terms and fees in order to board. Medical, travel, and almost all other insurances will not cover the cost, so it will be out of pocket expenses. Even if it was only $10 per day per person, most people cannot afford 14-day quarantine after taking a 7-10 vacation. I think there are far more questions now than answers. 

2 hours ago, bigrednole said:

The biggest question for when cruises start is whether you can afford a 2-week mandatory quarantine in a make shift prison? If the cruise line is required to quarantine the entire ship, it is not going to be cheap, it is not going to be luxury accommodations. A cruise from Port Everglades and Miami would probably have a tent city on the tarmac of the old Homestead AFB or something similar. With required security, medical, and food staff, they will bill a per person rate of about $1,000 or more. Imagine a family of 4, 14 days, at $1,000 per day.

The CDC has been clear about this point ever since they put that stupid public questionnaire out. Mandatory quarantine of an infected ship at the expense of the cruise line. The cruise lines are OK because that is a fee that will be passed to the passengers. The passengers will be the ones that have to sign the document accepting the terms and fees in order to board. Medical, travel, and almost all other insurances will not cover the cost, so it will be out of pocket expenses. Even if it was only $10 per day per person, most people cannot afford 14-day quarantine after taking a 7-10 vacation. I think there are far more questions now than answers. 

Perhaps this is where mandatory contact tracing becomes a benefit.  Only those people that have have a significant exposure to an infected person will be quarantined.  Even on the Diamond Princess which had absolutely no controls only about 20 percent of the passengers were infected.  So when there is a Covid exposure (yes its when not if) only a few people may have had contact and would require isolation.  Again, this is where I think they could utilize some of there used ships to serve as isolation facilities.