Celebrity is fleecing solo cruisers again!

goofysmom99

55 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

I am still not sure what you mean when you say half the price?  So a room is double occupancy, the couple in that room receives x points.  A solo cruiser like us, occupies equivalent room, but receives half the points that the double occupied room receives?

Under the current promo, that is exactly what happens. The solo passenger and the couple pay the same  booking fee, but the couple get double the points given the solo passenger. See post #6.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Here's what I understand the OP to be saying, and I agree with her:

1. It is Celebrity's normal policy to charge a solo cruiser a 100% up-charge when cruising alone in a regular cabin. Most solos accept this as the cost of cruising as a solo.
  2. Celebrity, and some other lines, do offer a solo who pays full freight the full complement of points, which is fair, as the solo is paying full price. To put it another way, the cost paid for the cabin is the same, and the number of points awarded is the same -- it's just that in the case of the solo, one person is paying for two, and one person receives the points of two. 
  3. What the OP is referring to is a special deal on certain cruises in which they are offering double the NORMAL number of points if the passenger books before a certain date.
  4. Celebrity adds fine print that says "Single-occupancy staterooms are not eligible for this Offer." 
  5. This could be interpreted in two different ways, but the Celebrity rep is choosing to interpret it as: the offer does not apply to a solo cruiser, no matter what accommodation is booked (rather than the correct -- IMO -- intepretation that it applies only when the cruiser is specifically booking a single-occupancy cabin).

6. So the end result of this interpretation is that the solo and the couple are paying the same price for the cabin, but because Celebrity is not applying the special, the couple is getting double the number of points that the solo can earn.

7. The OP contends -- and again I agree -- that this is a kind of double penalty. Celebrity is asking the solo to pay the full fare for two, but then is further penalizing her by not awarding the same perks for the same price. So, the solo pays $4,000 for the cabin and gets X points, and the couple pay $4,000 for the cabin and get 2X points.

Ahhh, ok, dawn lights on Marblehead.  I understnad now, thanks for the further detail, and now I agree Celebrity is getting the same $$ for the room, but only ponying up half the points, pretty unfair.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

Ahhh, ok, dawn lights on Marblehead.  I understnad now, thanks for the further detail, and now I agree Celebrity is getting the same $$ for the room, but only ponying up half the points, pretty unfair.

Same can be said for me sailing double occupancy but booked early way before the promo started.  They have been holding my deposit for a long time and I only get 1/2 the points. 

This whole idea of getting extra points by means other than the prescribed # points per night on the ship is just devalueing the loyalty program.   I think the normal 2x points for solo traveler in a double occupancy room is fair.    PUP,  25 extra points for booking air or Aqua etc just makes the points I earned sailing worth less.

Edited by wrk2cruise
  • Like 1

This is really easy.  IF you think that Celebrity, or any other cruise line is fleecing singles then why cry about it.   Simply vote with your feet and your wallet and select another cruise line vendor that you feel gives single a better offer.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, iancal said:

This is really easy.  IF you think that Celebrity, or any other cruise line is fleecing singles then why cry about it.   Simply vote with your feet and your wallet and select another cruise line vendor that you feel gives single a better offer.

I see nothing wrong with making others aware of shoddy business practices. Its called consumer advocacy.

Others are free to decide whether it matters or not, but at least they understand what's going on.

• Like 5

On 11/8/2020 at 12:49 PM, cruisemom42 said:

I see nothing wrong with making others aware of shoddy business practices. Its called consumer advocacy.

Others are free to decide whether it matters or not, but at least they understand what's going on.

If this upset you how about the new inclusive way of pricing a cruise.  While I don't object to paying for the all inclusive per se as I usually buy the packages, there is no way I would pay for an extra one that I could not use.  I currently have 2 voyages booked for next year with Celebrity but am afraid that will be my last with this cruise line, although I am currently an elite passenger, unless they refine their pricing. 

Ok now I'll say they are fleecing solo passengers.   Not so much for the  All Included price as that is now the base double occupancy rate for the stateroom.   But forcing you to buy 2 if you want to do the bundle upgrade to Indulge and Exhilarate  or whatever they are calling it.  There is no reason for that.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, wrk2cruise said:

Ok now I'll say they are fleecing solo passengers.   Not so much for the  All Included price as that is now the base double occupancy rate for the stateroom.   But forcing you to buy 2 if you want to do the bundle upgrade to Indulge and Exhilarate  or whatever they are calling it.  There is no reason for that.

I agree and it would be an easy fix.  Apparently Celebrity doesn't care.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

Honestly it legit has me considering just eating the deposit on my 2022 cruise and sailing with someone else for that Feb break.

Well at least you have a year plus to see how it all shakes out.  Celebrity cruises will let us know.  If you do though cancel, may you please ask them to apply what you are willing to eat to my OBC account?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I guess the OP has a NRD.  If not, why not cancel the booking.   If they start allowing double points it would be a good way for anyone, including couples, to get double points.    Couples could enjoy this by getting connecting staterooms so they have two bathroom.    It would be the same as paying for points and that is permitted by airlines but not so far by cruise lines.

1 hour ago, Covepointcruiser said:

I guess the OP has a NRD.  If not, why not cancel the booking.   If they start allowing double points it would be a good way for anyone, including couples, to get double points.    Couples could enjoy this by getting connecting staterooms so they have two bathroom.    It would be the same as paying for points and that is permitted by airlines but not so far by cruise lines.

Yes, couples could do this .... but then they would have to pay what solos pay:  twice as much!

18 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Yes, couples could do this .... but then they would have to pay what solos pay:  twice as much!

when I travel solo, I know I am paying double, my choice.  Curious as to why you think a couple would book an adjoining room for an additional bath?  $$$$$$$$$ 🍹