Melbourne Cup Today

Melbourne Cup - a race that stops a Nation.  Flemington roses look as beautiful as ever, but no public will be at the Melbourne Cup to admire them this year. 

30c today in Melbourne, hotter than Qld.  Guess lots of Melbourne people will be heading to the beach on the public holiday.  

First year I haven't run a Melbourne Cup Sweep.  Do you pick a horse? Do you partake in Sweeps or place a bet on the race?  Have you been to the Melbourne Cup?

I attended once.  I loved the atmosphere.  However, I couldn't believe the rubbish left behind after the race.  Did the beautifully dressed people really leave it there?

I will watch the race on TV.  Pity I already ate the bag of chips I bought yesterday.

Have a great day everyone. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, getting older slowly said:

I think it was 2015... that we had 4 cruise ships in Melbourne for the Cup...

and Pacific Dawn went up the yarra and dock at Victoria Dock and got under the westgate about about 2m.

A bit different this year.......

Don

You off to Flemington today don, top hat, tails and a magnum of Bollinger Champers? 😁 Enjoy the day mate, even though they won't let you in the gate.

Edited by NSWP

4 minutes ago, getting older slowly said:

and Pacific Dawn went up the yarra and dock at Victoria Dock and got under the westgate about about 2m.

Don

I remember being in Melbourne when a number of cruise ships were in town.  I recall the passengers from the ship had a transfer back to the ship included in their package.  Were there other trips to Melbourne by a number of ships?  Maybe for the theatre?

The reporter on ABC Breakfast news is standing on the beach in high heels.  Seems she came dressed for Melbourne Cup, just in case. Lots of people enjoying the beach in the background.

12 minutes ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

It will most unusual to watch.

Will the horses have to practice social distancing .?😆🐎🐎🐎

The one at the Winner's Post will certainly hope so!

Yes, it will be unusual with no roar of the crowd.  

Despite growing up in a suburb full of stables and racehorses, I've never followed any races, except for the Melbourne Cup. 

3 hours ago, getting older slowly said:

Don

Just so

http://50561653647_cf41fcff41_b.jpgPacific Dawn Melbourne 2015 on Flickr

6 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

Melbourne Cup - a race that stops a Nation.  Flemington roses look as beautiful as ever, but no public will be at the Melbourne Cup to admire them this year. 

30c today in Melbourne, hotter than Qld.  Guess lots of Melbourne people will be heading to the beach on the public holiday.  

First year I haven't run a Melbourne Cup Sweep.  Do you pick a horse? Do you partake in Sweeps or place a bet on the race?  Have you been to the Melbourne Cup?

I attended once.  I loved the atmosphere.  However, I couldn't believe the rubbish left behind after the race.  Did the beautifully dressed people really leave it there?

I will watch the race on TV.  Pity I already ate the bag of chips I bought yesterday.

Have a great day everyone. 

Yawn.

5 hours ago, getting older slowly said:

Don

I think we have had 4 ships every year since (apart from this year).  Passengers get a package which includes entrance to Flemington.  The last 2 years I have been heading out on the Golden Princess early November passing the other ships at sea as they arrived.  It is not that I don't like the Cup but I like to get away as soon as the Melbourne sailing season kicks off.

10 minutes ago, Ondine said:

I think we have had 4 ships every year since (apart from this year).  Passengers get a package which includes entrance to Flemington.  The last 2 years I have been heading out on the Golden Princess early November passing the other ships at sea as they arrived.  It is not that I don't like the Cup but I like to get away as soon as the Melbourne sailing season kicks off.

When the ships were there when I was I don't think it was Melbourne Cup time.

53 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Racing Guress, Gai Waterhouse was ranting and raving to the media as to why the Vic Govt did not permit spectators into the Cup Day at Flemington.

Another highly qualified epidemiologist.

Oh well, she doesn’t have to come here.

Wow congratulations to the Melbourne Cup winners.  Every Melbourne Cup has wonderful stories and this one is no exception.  Young jockey (young father) on his first ride in the Melbourne Cup wins!  Young Trainer 27 years old, who used to be a champion jockey, won his second Melbourne Cup.

I love how respectful jockeys are -owner "Mr Williams" no less.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Docker123 said:

Another highly qualified epidemiologist.

Oh well, she doesn’t have to come here.

Thanks for the laugh. 

Kangaroo Island just won $50,000 because it had the winning barrier.  That sweep was a wonderful idea and a great cause.  

This is the plan for next year assuming we will be sailing.  As usual Princess has Sapphire leaving the day before and returning home afterwards.  Now that P&O have sold the smaller ships I guess the larger ones wont fit under the West Gate bridge so can't come up river.  Unless a boutique line want to come.

Pacific Adventure Mon 01 Nov 2021 0800 Wed 03 Nov 2021 1600 OWSP ISS
Pacific Encounter Mon 01 Nov 2021 0900 Wed 03 Nov 2021 1600 WDW ISS
Carnival Splendor Tue 02 Nov 2021 0800 Thu 04 Nov 2021 1800 OESP ISS

1 hour ago, Ondine said:

This is the plan for next year assuming we will be sailing.  As usual Princess has Sapphire leaving the day before and returning home afterwards.  Now that P&O have sold the smaller ships I guess the larger ones wont fit under the West Gate bridge so can't come up river.  Unless a boutique line want to come.

Pacific Adventure Mon 01 Nov 2021 0800 Wed 03 Nov 2021 1600 OWSP ISS
Pacific Encounter Mon 01 Nov 2021 0900 Wed 03 Nov 2021 1600 WDW ISS
Carnival Splendor Tue 02 Nov 2021 0800 Thu 04 Nov 2021 1800 OESP ISS

I am not sure that they could accommodate 3 large ships at Station Pier.  Previously, two of the smaller ones have been on OWSP and a larger one at east. 

Web Dock West is an extension into the bay, before the bridge. QM2 parked there once.  WDW blocks a lot of the views of the city from Williamstown.

Edited by Docker123
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Docker123 said:

I am not sure that they could accommodate 3 large ships at Station Pier.  Previously, two of the smaller ones have been on OWSP and a larger one at east. 

Web Dock West is an extension into the bay, before the bridge. QM2 parked there once.  WDW blocks a lot of the views of the city from Williamstown.

The container ship is at Web Dock West. Station Pier is in the background to the right.

C4FE74CE-85C3-4C16-ABB6-26DE2CDA796C.thumb.jpeg.7ade1c6d0c7dfc9b516240684aaa7c38.jpeg

• Like 1

WOW.......

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/racing/123296634/melbourne-cup-2020-christchurch-punter-now-a-millionaire-thanks-to-record-30-bet

A lucky Melbourne Cup punter has more than a million reasons to never forget the 2020 edition of the race after winning the biggest prize ever paid out by the New Zealand TAB on the race.

The bet, placed at the Bishopdale TAB outlet in Christchurch, returned $1.16 million for a $120 outlay.

2 minutes ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

WOW.......

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/racing/123296634/melbourne-cup-2020-christchurch-punter-now-a-millionaire-thanks-to-record-30-bet

A lucky Melbourne Cup punter has more than a million reasons to never forget the 2020 edition of the race after winning the biggest prize ever paid out by the New Zealand TAB on the race.

The bet, placed at the Bishopdale TAB outlet in Christchurch, returned $1.16 million for a $120 outlay.

WOW Did he pick 4 first 4 horses for $30 each and one won $1.16 million.  My MIL used to make bets like that.  When she won, she won big, but nothing of that size.  

On 11/4/2020 at 4:56 PM, Kiwi Kruzer said:

WOW.......

As they say, I will have half, lucky punter. Bollinger all round.

Edited by NSWP