Britannia " Promenade Deck " question

janny444

Hi...I know that Britannia hasn't a " proper" promenade deck just small ones from the Java & Glass House but just wondering if you can just sit there without having a drink etc....are there any relaxing seats to sit on other than chairs for sitting at the tables ?

4 minutes ago, janny444 said:

Hi...I know that Britannia hasn't a " proper" promenade deck just small ones from the Java & Glass House but just wondering if you can just sit there without having a drink etc....are there any relaxing seats to sit on other than chairs for sitting at the tables ?

There is a small area for sun beds aft on the starboard side.

TerrierJohn;

I think the area you are referring to is on both Port and Starboard on deck 7.

this area was relatively unused and known to us as “sunny 7” or “shady 7”.

we found it a great place to watch the lines released at sail away.

feeling quite nostalgic now!

11 minutes ago, Kittyonions said:

TerrierJohn;

I think the area you are referring to is on both Port and Starboard on deck 7.

this area was relatively unused and known to us as “sunny 7” or “shady 7”.

we found it a great place to watch the lines released at sail away.

feeling quite nostalgic now!

You're probably right, I think now that the port side was the smoking area, which was probably why I had erased it from my memory.

Why did Britannia not have a proper promenade deck? I remember reading on here some years ago that the P&O reason was that new safety regulations did not allow for it. Rubbish, now we have all these new designs in which promenade decks are major features. I think it took them some time to realise you can generate revenue from such a deck. Consider the design as an aircraft carrier style hull with a hotel built on top leaving a clear area all round. 🙂

46 minutes ago, davecttr said:

Why did Britannia not have a proper promenade deck? I remember reading on here some years ago that the P&O reason was that new safety regulations did not allow for it. Rubbish, now we have all these new designs in which promenade decks are major features. I think it took them some time to realise you can generate revenue from such a deck. Consider the design as an aircraft carrier style hull with a hotel built on top leaving a clear area all round. 🙂

I don’t remember whether or not they actually gave a reason, but P&O’s usual approach when doing something that is deeply unpopular is to say that it is “in response to customer feedback” 😉 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Roger88 said:

This is the first time I hear about the lack of promenade deck on Britannia, I think it depends on what do you think of when you speak of promenade deck.. Sometimes it does not get even with your expectations 

A promenade deck is a deck you can walk around!! Obviously.😁

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Roger88 said:

This is the first time I hear about the lack of promenade deck on Britannia, I think it depends on what do you think of when you speak of promenade deck.. Sometimes it does not get even with your expectations 

Regardless of your expectations, there is either a promenade deck or there isn’t. On Britannia there isn’t one!

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Selbourne said:

I don’t remember whether or not they actually gave a reason, but P&O’s usual approach when doing something that is deeply unpopular is to say that it is “in response to customer feedback” 😉 

I think for once we can't really blame P&O. I suspect as usual, Carnival Corp dictated that P&O would have a Royal Class ship, the class of which was initially designed for Princess. Iirc, Royal Princess was designed in the immediate aftermath of the Costa Concordia sinking when there was significant criticism about the way that lifeboats were stored and launched. This I believe is what led to the Promenade Deck being unusable. I may be wrong but that's what I have in my head...

Of course, that doesn't explain why they haven't subsequently altered the design.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Selbourne said:

Regardless of your expectations, there is either a promenade deck or there isn’t. On Britannia there isn’t one!

The problem with Britannia, as with a number of other recent designs is the storage location of the lifeboats, because in most modern cruise ships the promenade deck is also the boat deck, or lifeboat launching deck. In order to minimise the space the boat deck on these newer ships requires, the lifeboats are set lower and the deck itself is quite narrow, and where the lifeboats are located this narrow deck is not available for passengers, except when abandoning ship.

Iona uses a different design and the lifeboats are hung underneath the promenade deck, maybe moley can tell us if Iona will  still use the promenade deck to launch the lifeboats, or if not what procedure they will use.

If you need to blame someone for Britannia not having a Prom. it's either Carnival or Fincantieri, or a combination of both, however Celebrity on it's Solstice class did manage to let the passengers use the Prom. deck along each side, but only for about two thirds the length, and it was very narrow where the lifeboats were suspended.