First cruise commercial in months!!!!

Dixe Lee

10 hours ago, Dixe Lee said:

NCL has a new TV commercial, first commercial for cruising we have seen in months!  It is beautiful but why do you think they are putting this out there now when we have no idea when we will get to cruise again?

They advertise hoping people will book.  Many people think that since a vaccine is immanent, cruising is immanent also.  And these people, may not be aware that even if it resumes, it won't be "normal".

8 minutes ago, MsTabbyKats said:

Many people think that since a vaccine is immanent, cruising is immanent also.  And these people, may not be aware that even if it resumes, it won't be "normal".

Kind of curious why you think cruising won't be "normal" when it resumes, if the vast majority of cruisers will be immunized against covid in the not too distant future.

I saw a report that an expert is predicting that we'll achieve herd immunity via the vaccine(s) by May 2021. That's why I believe cruising will be back up and running in the 2nd half of 2021 (July).

Hopefully, with the vast majority of cruisers vaccinated, the situation will be similar to the flu vaccine, where some people refuse to get the flu vaccine and therefore accept the risk of catching it (which is beyond me why they would do that).

Additionally, with the ongoing & continued improvement in therapeutics (as well as vaccines), it will hopefully get to the point that even if you were to catch the "wu-flu" (covid), you would be effectively treated and recover and not be required to be hospitalized.

• Like 1

I saw the new commercial and just found that although visually appealing, it just drove the spike in to me further that we were supposed to be cruising for 2 weeks in the Caribbean starting this Sunday.  Our next cruise isn't for another year, but my optimism is waning that it will happen....so we leave tomorrow for a few days on a FL island we have not been to and will be scoping out the vicinity for alternative vacation spots on land, rather than on a ship.  We'll be wearing our masks and socially distancing!  We're spoiled having our Thanksgiving dinner while cruising!

23 minutes ago, farmersfight said:

Kind of curious why you think cruising won't be "normal" when it resumes, if the vast majority of cruisers will be immunized against covid in the not too distant future.

I saw a report that an expert is predicting that we'll achieve herd immunity via the vaccine(s) by May 2021. That's why I believe cruising will be back up and running in the 2nd half of 2021 (July).

Hopefully, with the vast majority of cruisers vaccinated, the situation will be similar to the flu vaccine, where some people refuse to get the flu vaccine and therefore accept the risk of catching it (which is beyond me why they would do that).

Additionally, with the ongoing & continued improvement in therapeutics (as well as vaccines), it will hopefully get to the point that even if you were to catch the "wu-flu" (covid), you would be effectively treated and recover and not be required to be hospitalized.

Not to downgrade your expert....but my expert says things will take longer. (I'm joking...experts don't agree.)  And...the cruiseline may still have restrictions (no free roaming in ports, masks outside of cabin).  Keep in mind, you sailing outside the US....those other countries will have their own rules.

I doubt they warn people who book "things may be different".

I agree with you...good chance ships will be running 3Q 2021....just not in a way I would enjoy.  Hope you're right and I'm wrong.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MsTabbyKats said:

Not to downgrade your expert....but my expert says things will take longer. (I'm joking...experts don't agree.)  And...the cruiseline may still have restrictions (no free roaming in ports, masks outside of cabin).  Keep in mind, you sailing outside the US....those other countries will have their own rules.

I agree with you...good chance ships will be running 3Q 2021....just not in a way I would enjoy.  Hope you're right and I'm wrong.

I hope so too...I would like to see cruising return to it's old self sooner rather than later, but like you, I think 2021 cruising will be restricted in some manner.  We can deal with a lot of the restrictions, but our travel partners are way less flexible.....like so many on Cruise Critic, we are split as to what 2021 cruising/vacationing will be like.  We're seniors and time together is precious....COVID is really making a mess out of this all!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, farmersfight said:

That prediction is based on the assumption that a large number of people will get vaccinated and  it appears there is currently a large % who won't. Just my opinion, but I don't think herd immunity will happen  in the US during 2021.  Europe and Asia may get there faster, but there are places in the world that won't get to that point until 2022 or even 2023.

4 hours ago, MsTabbyKats said:

Yeah, I agree, there are a lot of "experts' out there, especially here on CC, lol. From all that I am hearing, it does seem likely that one or two of the early vaccines (Pfizer or Moderna) will start to be administered to first responders, health care workers & the elderly w/underlying health conditions by the end of next month (Dec 2020).

Then hopefully, the vaccine(s) will roll out to the U.S. population during the spring (2nd qtr) of 2021.

You're right, even though a vast majority of U.S. citizens may be vaccinated by 2nd half of 2021 and cruising may have started back up, the cruise ships will have to visit other countries that may be well behind the U.S. in getting/administering the vaccine and as you said, will have there own rules. Now that I think about it, those countries that have not yet gotten the vaccine(s) administered may keep their countries shut down to cruise ships. We'll have to see how this plays out in 2021.

Maybe in the meantime, the cruise lines can just cruise to their private islands where there can be a controlled environment. I think that may be what Carnival tries to do...

3 hours ago, mek said:

That prediction is based on the assumption that a large number of people will get vaccinated and  it appears there is currently a large % who won't. Just my opinion, but I don't think herd immunity will happen  in the US during 2021.  Europe and Asia may get there faster, but there are places in the world that won't get to that point until 2022 or even 2023.

I still don't understand those who won't get the vaccination. For me, give me the shot(s) as soon as it is available. I agree, there will be many places in the world where it will take time to get their populations vaccinated; 2022 or 2023 seems like a good estimate.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, farmersfight said:

I still don't understand those who won't get the vaccination. For me, give me the shot(s) as soon as it is available. I agree, there will be many places in the world where it will take time to get their populations vaccinated; 2022 or 2023 seems like a good estimate.

I'm with you, except I'll wait for a little bit to get the vaccine....just being cautious.  Before my husband & I restarted cruising a few years back, we made sure that we had all of the proper vaccinations & boosters.  We get our yearly flu shot (had the flu once and NEVER want to get it again...3 weeks out of work & I should have never gone back the fourth)...but, our travel partners who are close relatives will not get any kind of vaccines, nor will they wear masks.  They strictly adhere to an online " health guru" who has them being anti-vaxxers..We haven't seen them since our last cruise in December....and may not for a while unfortunately.

For those unsure as to what commercial is being referred to, check these out:

4 hours ago, farmersfight said:

9 hours ago, farmersfight said:

Because Americans are not the only passengers on a ship. Because the United States is not the only country visited by cruise ships. A non-trivial % of passengers on a cruise ship are *not* from the Untied States. And, more importantly, the non-Americans are the passengers coveted by the cruise lines because they spend a lot more per person that the [cheap] Americans. 

People throw around big numbers like 100,000,000 doses of the vaccine. That's 15% of the population of the United States (mostly front line workers and critically ill people) and less than 0.6% of the world. And those same two manufacturers who talk about supplying vaccines to the US, also have already accepted orders from other countries (i.e., once they have fulfilled their initial obligation to the US Government, the vaccines are for sale). And I don't see the new administration, who proclaimed that the US will be the leader of the world going forward and take care of the world (statements today) are immediately going to do a 180 and say "mine mine mine, you don't get any".  

When you get to 650M doses specifically allocated to the United States, you have more than hopes for herd immunity. Herd immunity hoping that no one with the virus slips onboard is like hoping that your kid drives in the speed limit. Ain't going to happen. 

1 hour ago, snoozecrooze said:

Thanks for posting that! Now I can look at it and dream of future possibilities but we are already booked on NCL October 2021, a re-book after cancellation this past May and we have been worrying that we might lose that money altogether if NCL goes bankrupt and then lo and behold, we see the commercial. Was a little shocked and puzzled to see that. It isn’t going to make us book another cruise right now but brought back a wistful memory 😪of all the old commercials we were so used to seeing. Was a shocker to say the least.

2 hours ago, snoozecrooze said:

I hadn't actually seen this commercial before.  "That" cruise ain't happening for a long long time.

8 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Because Americans are not the only passengers on a ship. Because the United States is not the only country visited by cruise ships. A non-trivial % of passengers on a cruise ship are *not* from the Untied States. And, more importantly, the non-Americans are the passengers coveted by the cruise lines because they spend a lot more per person that the [cheap] Americans. 

People throw around big numbers like 100,000,000 doses of the vaccine. That's 15% of the population of the United States (mostly front line workers and critically ill people) and less than 0.6% of the world. And those same two manufacturers who talk about supplying vaccines to the US, also have already accepted orders from other countries (i.e., once they have fulfilled their initial obligation to the US Government, the vaccines are for sale). And I don't see the new administration, who proclaimed that the US will be the leader of the world going forward and take care of the world (statements today) are immediately going to do a 180 and say "mine mine mine, you don't get any".  

When you get to 650M doses specifically allocated to the United States, you have more than hopes for herd immunity. Herd immunity hoping that no one with the virus slips onboard is like hoping that your kid drives in the speed limit. Ain't going to happen. 

100,000,000 is 15% of the US population?  Guess I have been in quarantine longer than I thought.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, All-ready2cruise said:

I think it's based on 2 doses PP of the vaccine, which some of the vaccines require.  I could be wrong, JMO. 

One hundred million.... the population of the US is approximately 320 million. 15 % of 320 million  is 4,800,000.

Its just bad math and facts.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, NJGeorge said:

One hundred million.... the population of the US is approximately 320 million. 15 % of 320 million  is 4,800,000.

Its just bad math and facts.

Actually, 15% of 320 million is 48 million.  Which if each of those people needs 2 doses, is 96 million, which is pretty close to 100 million.  I think that's what the other poster was trying to say.

15 hours ago, NJGeorge said:

100,000,000 is 15% of the US population?  Guess I have been in quarantine longer than I thought.

9 hours ago, All-ready2cruise said:

I think it's based on 2 doses PP of the vaccine, which some of the vaccines require.  I could be wrong, JMO. 

Yeah, if it was 1 dose, 100,000,000 doses would be 30% of the U.S. population. For 2 doses, 100,000,000 doses would be 15% of the U.S. population. BirdTravels doesn't indicate if he/she was referring to 1 dose or 2 doses.

Either way, I think BirdTravels was trying to

Flame - Wikipedia

me. I need to find some salve to heal my burns while I think of my rebuttal.

37 minutes ago, NJGeorge said:

the population of the US is approximately 320 million. 15 % of 320 million  is 4,800,000.

The population of the U.S. is closer to 328 million. I may need to go back to school and take math again but my math tells me that 15% of 328 million is actually 50 million (50,000,000 / 328,000,000 = 0.15 or 15%).

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, kaprin02 said:

Actually, 15% of 320 million is 48 million.  Which if each of those people needs 2 doses, is 96 million, which is pretty close to 100 million.  I think that's what the other poster was trying to say.

You "beat me to the punch", lol. I was literally typing my reply when you posted yours. I think @NJGeorgejust left off a "0".

• Like 1

9 hours ago, All-ready2cruise said:

I think the first 2 vaccines coming out; Pfizer's and Moderna's both require 2 shots. Another vaccine about to come out of the pipeline; Johnson & Johnson's will only require 1 shot.

AstraZenica's vaccine requires 2 shots with the 1st shot being a 1/2 dose (which they discovered by accident). But, there is some skepticism wrt AstraZenica's vaccine because they only had given it (the 1/2 dose primer) to 2,741people in contrast to Pfizer & Moderna who gave it to more than 30,000 people in their phase 3 trials.

https://www.fiercebiotech.com/biotech/astrazeneca-probes-mistake-behind-90-covid-vaccine-efficacy

• Like 1