River Cruising Water Cooler

Host Jazzbeau

One of my brothers and his wife were in Chicago last week and my other brother recommended they visit the Virtual TILT - 360 Chicago Observation Deck located in the John Hancock building.  After seeing pictures and a video they demurred.  I don't even want to watch the video; the pictures were stomach churning enough for me.

https://360chicago.com/

https://360chicago.com/virtual-tilt#WATCH

Edited by capriccio
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, capriccio said:

One of my brothers and his wife were in Chicago last week and my other brother recommended they visit the Virtual TILT - 360 Chicago Observation Deck located in the John Hancock building.  After seeing pictures and a video they demurred.  I don't even want to watch the video; the pictures were stomach churning enough for me.

https://360chicago.com/

https://360chicago.com/virtual-tilt#WATCH

I am going to Chicago this Friday for 4 days with 3 friends🙂....not sure I would do that.......but we are planning to have a fun long weekend together😃....we have multiple private tours booked and I know Chi Town has some fabulous restaurants!!!!!

On 6/19/2021 at 5:52 PM, notamermaid said:

I am trying to find the photos of the heritage train I took (the photos, not the train) in Carlisle in the North of England.

During a Summer holiday I happened to be in Carlisle when a heritage train was due to arrive. I had planned on having a day trip on a steam train for the second year running, but either I was at the wrong end of the journey (like the day in Carlisle) or it had been cancelled and I could not have a trip - for the second year running. So I at least wanted to see it arrive. A steam engine made in the famous works at Crewe:

DSCN1313.thumb.JPG.9f43dd570b319caf7c9071465c0cab19.JPG

And here she is, 48151 pulling "The Fellsman". This is a journey taking you through the landscape of the Fells (mountains) in the Northwest of England including on the Settle to Carlisle Railway:

DSCN1315.thumb.JPG.3effc852333d104bc02a1e2d8441eb89.JPG

A video of a journey of the Fellsman is also available on YouTube, if you are interested. The Settle to Carlisle Railway is an iconic line, with the Ribblehead Viaduct dear to me as a holiday memory: https://www.visitcumbria.com/carlset/ribblehead-viaduct/

The website features videos of two other heritage train journeys, called "The Dalesman" and "The Waverley".

During the last two days the pangs of longing to cross the English channel have been back. It will be months before I can go and see dear people in Kent and travel "up North". We say in German that "geteiltes Leid ist halbes Leid, geteilte Freude ist doppelte Freude". So I have decided to share with you the sorrow of not being on English soil by sharing some photos of places I have enjoyed over the years travelling up and down the island, which should double my joy of having been able to see those places and maybe give you a bit of my enthusiasm. Travels over the years (panic, she is going to post tons of stuff)? Not to worry, they will be selected places with just a bit of info on each of them. :classic_smile: Be prepared for slightly unusual places - completely avoiding the Moloch London that gets in the way when you want to dash from Folkestone to Scotch Corner.

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid
  • Like 2

Travels through Britain part 2

A bit of nature this time. Quite a few years ago now I found this beautiful butterfly:

2031451781_AysgarthFalls002.thumb.jpg.cfb35435a0d541cda3b7463955414f1a.jpg

It was in Yorkshire, in Wensleydayle, at Aysgarth Waterfalls. This is what they look like, well, part of them:

637664551_AysgarthFalls004.thumb.jpg.f546bca6a10cd76806a1a10ac6291123.jpg

It is a triple waterfall of the river Ure and while not spectacular in height, it has something of a captivating beauty.

Here are some more photos on this website: https://www.yorkshire.com/view/attractions/leyburn/aysgarth-falls-tourist-information-centre-1164903

Wensleydale is the home of one of my favourite cheeses, I have been to the town where it is produced but not in the creamery.

Here is a little puzzle question for you. What connects the falls to Hollywood? You can tell me if you like, or the answer will be revealed in the next part of travels through Britain.

notamermaid

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

They look like they were in the Robin Hood movie.

Indeed they were! Well done. 🙂  The fight with Little John. A video search for Robin Hood Aysgarth Falls will suggest you the famous scene, if anyone would like to watch it.

notamermaid

Thanks. To be precise, I need to say that you got the right genus, called Vanessa, but you mean Vanessa cardui, whereas I photographed a Vanessa atalanta, a red admiral. Don't worry, I looked this up, I am useless at fauna beyond cats and dogs. It was a fantastic few hours at Aysgarth, Wensleydale is a beautiful area.

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid

Ah, the peacock, or as we call it "Tagpfauenauge". It scared me as a small child, because it "looked at me" with its eyes. My imagination was very good. I am alright with them now, but I still find it difficult to eat what is staring at me, like scampi.

@Canal archive The engine looks standard gauge. Is this in France? I love turntables, especially the big ones in front of roundhouses.

notamermaid

42 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

I still find it difficult to eat what is staring at me, like scampi.

Many years ago I was on a cycling trip in Brittany. They served us (each) a plate of 12 scampi, with heads on, staring at me. I had a panic attack and ran from the restaurant. I couldn't deal with it.

It is a little creepy, no doubt. Our local Chinese place does some dishes with whole prawns.

I can certainly eat them. I just get annoyed that the whole shrimp look so large, but once you remove the tail, there isn't all that much meat. So the deception gets me, not the eyes.

1 hour ago, Canal archive said:

Ooh what’s this one then.

image.thumb.jpeg.abb31b481801c953633251c947c157c8.jpeg

Wow! What a beautiful photo, CA.

38 minutes ago, gnome12 said:

They served us (each) a plate of 12 scampi, with heads on, staring at me.

ewww - that would be a definite turn-off. I like scampi but it has never been served with the heads. 

@notamermaid... you want a butterfly with eyes, how about this one?  We go to butterfly conservatories whenever we get the chance, and took this one a couple of years ago.   2nd pic is one open. 

IM000061.JPG

Butterfly.JPG

• Like 2

Thank you all. The train is in France and has anyone been to the Butterfly place in Singapore some of them are the size of dinner plates. Many years ago en famalie in Spain husband taking off with the girls said oh order some prawns we will be back soon. So I did well I pointed to a lady just along from where I sat and asked for similar. Well we did managed the kilo of prawns and my Spanish is now very much better.

26 minutes ago, Daisi said:

@notamermaid... you want a butterfly with eyes, how about this one?  We go to butterfly conservatories whenever we get the chance, and took this one a couple of years ago.   2nd pic is one open. 

IM000061.JPG

Butterfly.JPG

Oh that is the Blue Morpho, at least that is what they call it at Sayn Butterfly Park, is a big species. Did you go there on your Rhine river cruise?

notamermaid

58 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

Oh that is the Blue Morpho, at least that is what they call it at Sayn Butterfly Park, is a big species. Did you go there on your Rhine river cruise?

notamermaid

No, not sure where this one was, but probably somewhere in Ontario.  We have been to several, one at a school in Ottawa, one in Niagara Falls, and also one in Waterloo.  Believe it or not, it's best to go on rainy / cloudy days...they aren't as active, and you can see them at rest.

12 hours ago, notamermaid said:

I am useless at fauna beyond cats and dogs.

This may help with identifying birds at least (I'll look for a similar one on butterflys 😉)

Bird-infidel753.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

This may help with identifying birds at least (I'll look for a similar one on butterflys 😉)

Bird-infidel753.jpeg

That’s almost the way I identify flowers. It’s a tulip or it is not. 

• Haha 2

24 minutes ago, gnome12 said:

That’s almost the way I identify flowers. It’s a tulip or it is not. 

I can't find the citation any more, but I distinctly remember the following poem:

A Townsman's Country Poem – by Dylan Thomas

All trees are firs, except oaks

All birds are robins, except owls

• Like 2