River Cruising Water Cooler

Host Jazzbeau

A true labyrinth is not challenging at all, there is one continuous path leading from start to end-point.  They're all about contemplation and self-reflection as one walks the path.  

Now a  maze is a totally different story!!! 

18 minutes ago, sharkster77 said:

true labyrinth

18 minutes ago, sharkster77 said:

maze is a totally different story

Indeed. I noticed the flaw when posting this article... and meant mazes of course, but labyrinths are equally intriguing in a different way. The one in Chartres Cathedral I would love to see.

notamermaid

• 2 weeks later...

As most of you live quite literally overseas and need to cross a large body of water* to get to a river cruise - unless you happen to be close to the Mississippi River or the like - it comes natural to you to immediately look at the closest airport. With rail travel not being the obvious solution to cross a huge country perhaps some of you are not so familiar with trains in Europe, either. Me, if I want to get somewhere I first see how far it might be by car or train. Right now, you would have to pay me to get on a plane... It means I have never left Europe but there is so much to explore on my continent and I love to do it by train. Of course I went to my river cruise embarkation port Passau by train. You could book a parking space in a dedicated car park through a company but I found that the less desirable option.

You may say that flying into London when you can get to Amsterdam on a direct flight is silly, but consider this one and other options. They are there in abundance. And are increasing again! With especially young people getting more inclined to choose trains over planes, demand has increased and the supply is back in modern style: night trains!

When I was young, the idea of travelling the continent sleeping on a train was still a big thing and the first time I boarded the Vienna to Ostend Express felt like a grand experience of adventure and holiday at the same time. I did the day section to Ostend, but it was exciting nevertheless.

So here they are, the new night trains of Europe: https://www.dw.com/en/night-trains-make-a-comeback-across-europe/a-57878517

*on a windy day I regard the English Channel as a huge unappealing body of water that needs to be crossed in a tunnel.

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid
Wrong word
  • Like 1

After our cruises that we have "marked", and another tour we would love to take, we are planning a train trip through Germany/Austria area.  Still undecided about France, as they like to go on strike, and I don't want the hassle of trying to find other meins of travel.  We loved the way the train stations were in the old towns the day we took the train back from Basel to Amsterdam.  We figure we can get places to stay near the train stations, wander at our leisure around the towns, and take day trips out. 

We’ve traveled by train all over the world it’s my second most favourite form of travel you can guess my favourite. So our South of France and Seine cruises Eurostar to all the way. In the summer it would have actually have been possible to, in one day travel U.K. to Marseille have lunch and return. What a day, then came COVID what a shame. CA

Edited by Canal archive

@Canal archive, I've been researching the train travel in the UK as well.  We have a tour in mind that covers a good deal except for the eastern counties (Norfolk, Suffolk, Essex & Kent areas), so have been doing some research on that.  DH doesn't want to have to concentrate on driving in the UK, so that's fine as long as we can get around.  

Just realising how much Covid has put us back in our plans...and how much more plans we are making while we wait to travel... 🙂

4 minutes ago, Daisi said:

I've been researching the train travel in the UK as well.

There are some amazing lines with stunning scenery in the UK. I recommend the Settle to Carlisle Railway with a stop at Ribblehead to see the viaduct. It is in the middle of nowhere and one of my favourite places associated with railways in the UK - topped by the National Railway Museum in York, of course.

How did you get from Basel to Amsterdam? Connect via Cologne?

notamermaid

• Like 1

@notamermaid we took the "milk run", Basel to Manheim, then to Frankfurt, Cologne, Utrecht and ended up at Schiphol.  It was nice to  see areas along the river that we missed while cruising at night.

I've got a couple sights bookmarked for scenic trips.... thanks for the suggestion.

Edited by Daisi

@Daisi Then you have seen a nice mix of railway stations already. :classic_biggrin: European ones are really anything from run-down to boring to modern to old to grand...

1 hour ago, Canal archive said:

In the summer it would have actually have been possible to, in one day travel U.K. to Marseille have lunch and return.

It is amazing how far you can go in a day on a train these days. I have looked for fun at the options of getting from home to friends in the North of England. It is a long way. I literally mean travelling door-to-door. Car it is nearly 12 hours nonstop driving, so one would take a plane instead. Interestingly that is a seven to eight hour journey as I cannot get a good connection right now and neither of us lives within spitting distance of an airport. So, train? Yes, doable in a day, twelve hours door-to-door as we both live within a nice distance to a train station, theirs is basically just down the road and turn left. Leave after an early breakfast and be at their place for a late dinner. :classic_smile:

notamermaid

• Like 1

Daisi have you checked out the Cornish Riviera and the Scottish Jacobite train journeys.

This is the Flying Scotsman returning from a day excursion to Bath it’s passing a 200 year old water pumping station that used to supply water to the canal. There are wonderful train journeys around the world the Rocky Mountaineer not being the least of them, I’d go again tomorrow. CA 

image.thumb.jpeg.baca48d413767af5bf3f7e2e4dfc4457.jpeg

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Canal archive said:

Daisi have you checked out the Cornish Riviera and the Scottish Jacobite train journeys.

This is the Flying Scotsman returning from a day excursion to Bath it’s passing a 200 year old water pumping station that used to supply water to the canal. There are wonderful train journeys around the world the Rocky Mountaineer not being the least of them, I’d go again tomorrow. CA 

image.thumb.jpeg.baca48d413767af5bf3f7e2e4dfc4457.jpeg

I did the Scottish Jacobite train in 2019, as part of my 8 day tour of the Scottish Highlands, Isle of Skye and the Orkneys. And then, I took the train from Edinburgh to London before heading home.

The Rocky Mountaineer has been on my radar for years, but the combination of other things to do and the high cost has kept it on the bucket list. I'll get there, but probably not before 2023 at the earliest.

it was interesting to read about the overnight trains European return. My first experience with overnight trains was the Berlin US Army Duty Train. It was a great deal, free. It had the added benefit of reducing leave time as you weren’t signed out of the Berlin Unit until arrival in Frankfurt and were considered signed back in when the train departed Frankfurt.
The train departed  Berlin at 1930 and arrived Frankfurt 0645. The first 7 hours were a rough stop and go trip, with two engine changes, to cover the 110 miles through the DDR from Berlin to Marienborn. The remainder of the trip, from Helmstedt to Frankfurt, was much smoother.

The return trip departed Frankfurt 2015 and arrived Berlin 0730. As the rails were better between Frankfurt and Helmstedt I was able to fall asleep easier and usually stay asleep on the torturous route through the DDR. 
It wasn’t luxurious, but Frankfurt was a great hub to travel throughout Europe.

Gnome12 if and when you do the Rocky mountaineer splash out for what was called in my time Gold Leaf it is so worth it. I changed our booking as a surprise for my husband and dined out on his thanks for some time after. Back to the train the staff are really good - so are the beverages when we traveled under the mountain over lunch and I had my Girl Guide Compass (always carry a compass with you or now it’s a smart phone) with me everyone watched the direction change more noticeable on the compass than the movement of the train. We’ve done the Orient Express and now need to add the Eastern Orient Express, if it’s still running. CA

4 hours ago, Canal archive said:

Gnome12 if and when you do the Rocky mountaineer splash out for what was called in my time Gold Leaf it is so worth it. I changed our booking as a surprise for my husband and dined out on his thanks for some time after. Back to the train the staff are really good - so are the beverages when we traveled under the mountain over lunch and I had my Girl Guide Compass (always carry a compass with you or now it’s a smart phone) with me everyone watched the direction change more noticeable on the compass than the movement of the train. We’ve done the Orient Express and now need to add the Eastern Orient Express, if it’s still running. CA

Absolutely agree with the Gold Leaf service! 

The Rocky Mountaineer has planned to start 'Rockies to the Red Rocks' service in the US: https://www.rockymountaineer.com/train-routes/rockies-red-rocks.  'Only' silver leaf service though 🙁 The start date keeps getting pushed back due to Covid.  The last I heard was early next month.  Once the pandemic is over this is on our bucket list.

Thanks to all about the info on Scottish trains.  We've done the British Isles cruise and want to revisit Scotland with some of my siblings but driving is just not appealing.  I hadn't even considered trains which we all like - we did the Rocky Mountaineer together.  Something else to start tossing around!

We've watched a few shows about the UK trains.. .Flying Scotsman, and a few others.  We've done a lot of steam trains in Pennsylvania as well, but they were our only experience on trains before we got on the ones in Germany.

@gnome12we had looked at the Rocky Mountaineer, but I've driven through the Rockies before, and I think we would rather do that again... so much easier to go where you wish, and stop when you want.  I have lots of family out that way, so one of these days, we will probably do the drive. There are areas in the prairie provinces I'd like to see.

8 minutes ago, dogs4fun said:

Embarrassed 😞 to admit that I had never heard of the Rocky Mountaineer prior to the posts on this thread. Particularly chagrined because I live in Denver - what a moron!

Added to the bucket list.

Don't feel bad. We all tend not to know our own back yard. We are terrible in that regard. We had friends from Australia visit maybe 10 years ago and we had to buy a guidebook to figure out where to hike in the Adirondacks. Very embarrassing to not know that!

We live less than 2h drive from the park. At the time I could have told you at least 10 trails to hike in Hawaii, but not in my home state.

There are plenty of places in NY that we have yet to discover. COVID-19 forced us to stay local last year and we got to visit many new places. But I miss overseas trips!

Edited by jpalbny
  • Like 1

All the places that have been discovered in "back yards" last year and this year must be in the millions. I still remember someone telling me last Spring about this couple they met who said they had discovered this fabulous hiking trail just down the road from their house. Lots of embarrassing and lovely discoveries. :classic_biggrin: I include myself in that bunch of people, as I "declared" Kent my second home turf many years ago. Stuck in my country, in January I found this amazing round trip drive in the car which only takes about 40 minutes from my house here and includes villages that I have never been to in my life before.

Most embarrassing about all this is that I work in tourism and am supposed to know and promote my area. Well, now I can pass on some hidden gem tips, but a few I will keep to myself. Some paths should not be disclosed so that I can stay off the beaten path still.

You would not believe how many people have discovered that you can buy shoes with thick soles and you can even go into nature with them or have figured out that the bicycle in the cellar could be used. :classic_wink: Tons of people about these days. It can be hazardous though, as a doctor of mine has discovered. He fell of his bike and the assistant phoned me up yesterday to cancel my appointment.

notamermaid

40 minutes ago, dogs4fun said:

Embarrassed 😞 to admit that I had never heard of the Rocky Mountaineer prior to the posts on this thread. Particularly chagrined because I live in Denver - what a moron!

Added to the bucket list.

When I think of Rocky Mountaineer - I think of the Canadian Rockies and really want to do that train trip. It is $$$ though.

Because I travel alone most of the time, scenic driving is not particularly pleasant. I’d rather be able to relax and enjoy the scenery, and I’d prefer to do that from a Gold Leaf dome car than from a bus. 

• Like 1

We are so used to the 15 hr drive down east every year (and that's highway driving, not the 10 hr drive by backroads to Toronto) that we tend to do a lot of "backyard" tourism.  We have our regular spots to pick out, but lately, since my parents have gotten older and we take them out for drives, we are getting them lost.  DH has only been as far as Thunder Bay in Ont, but head east and he's getting good at remembering spots we've been to, as well as the Eastern Seaboard of the USA.  

I think that's why I love Europe so much, it's somewhere different, as my parents took us from the furthest east you can go in NFLD to the furthest west in BC...and some northern parts as well.  Grew up travelling, and loved it.

6 hours ago, capriccio said:

The Rocky Mountaineer has planned to start 'Rockies to the Red Rocks' service in the US: https://www.rockymountaineer.com/train-routes/rockies-red-rocks.  'Only' silver leaf service though 🙁 The start date keeps getting pushed back due to Covid.  The last I heard was early next month.  Once the pandemic is over this is on our bucket list.

This is what interests me - like the 6 night itinerary starting in Vegas and ending in Denver.