River Cruising Water Cooler

Host Jazzbeau

I just wanted to give you all an update - I am still symptom free and will be doing a rapid test tomorrow at Walgreens.

My friend is finally doing better. Her sister (where my friend thinks she got it from, who works at a hospital) is having her COVID test re-done as her county wants to know what variant she had. As in most areas, the Delta variant is pretty dominant here.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Coral said:

I think the miniseries was maybe filmed there but I never knew there was a miniseries when I went there. I remember the movie.

Well - surprise, surprise. I was not even aware that there was a miniseries (I was familiar only with the movie version with good old Jack Nicholson as creepy Jack Torrance). The only horror lead that I found even more creepy than Nicholson's portrayal of Torrance was Anthony Hopkins as Hannibal Lecter in Silence of the Lambs. I just read about the series online and, you are spot on, it was filmed at the Stanley.  Learned something new.

Happy to hear that your friend is on the mend and that you are still symptom free. How many days has it been since you were exposed?

Edited by dogs4fun

34 minutes ago, dogs4fun said:

Well - surprise, surprise. I was not even aware that there was a miniseries (I was familiar only with the movie version with good old Jack Nicholson as creepy Jack Torrance). The only horror lead that I found even more creepy than Nicholson's portrayal of Torrance was Anthony Hopkins as Hannibal Lecter in Silence of the Lambs. I just read about the series online and, you are spot on, it was filmed at the Stanley.  Learned something new.

Happy to hear that your friend is on the mend and that you are still symptom free. How many days has it been since you were exposed?

7 days from exposure.

I walked out of the movie theatre on Silence of the Lambs. I couldn't handle it. My Mom liked horror films so I grew up watching the Stephen King movies, etc... By the time Silence of the Lambs came out - I just couldn't do it anymore.

4 hours ago, Coral said:

7 days from exposure.

I walked out of the movie theatre on Silence of the Lambs. I couldn't handle it. My Mom liked horror films so I grew up watching the Stephen King movies, etc... By the time Silence of the Lambs came out - I just couldn't do it anymore.

My mom liked horror books and was always making recommendations which I ignored.  One day when my DH was away on a week long trip with the kids visiting his parents my mom dropped off her latest recommendation, Silence of the Lambs, while I was at work.  I knew better but I was lonely and not sleeping well and figured I would just read until I went to sleep.  Not my brightest idea!  I got to page 20, got up, turned on all the lights in our townhouse, made my way down 2 flights of stairs to the storage room, and hid the book!  Leaving all the lights on I went back upstairs and eventually got some sleep.  The next morning I returned the book without any thanks.  

• Like 1

This is Stephen King's home in  Bangor Maine.  Beautiful home.  I read some of his books, but my DH & S-i-L are very into them. We took this one year on our way to PEI.

@ural guy, we've hit some of those towns, and there are others in the North East (can't think of them now) we've been to.  When travelling, we like to hit curvy roads, water & towns with odd names!

StevenKing.jpg

5 hours ago, capriccio said:

My mom liked horror books and was always making recommendations which I ignored.  One day when my DH was away on a week long trip with the kids visiting his parents my mom dropped off her latest recommendation, Silence of the Lambs, while I was at work.  I knew better but I was lonely and not sleeping well and figured I would just read until I went to sleep.  Not my brightest idea!  I got to page 20, got up, turned on all the lights in our townhouse, made my way down 2 flights of stairs to the storage room, and hid the book!  Leaving all the lights on I went back upstairs and eventually got some sleep.  The next morning I returned the book without any thanks.  

I am glad I am not the only one who could not deal with that book/movie......! I am glad I have never re-visited those type of books/movies in my adult life.

3 hours ago, Daisi said:

This is Stephen King's home in  Bangor Maine.  Beautiful home.

Yes, it is a very beautiful home but get a load of that fence! 😵 

7 hours ago, capriccio said:

I knew better but I was lonely and not sleeping well and figured I would just read until I went to sleep.  Not my brightest idea!

Had an experience similar to yours when reading The Exorcist. At the time, it scared the living daylights out of me. Unfortunately, I now find the lack of humanity sometimes displayed by our species more alarming and frightening than any horror story I have read in the past.

34 minutes ago, dogs4fun said:

Had an experience similar to yours when reading The Exorcist. At the time, it scared the living daylights out of me. Unfortunately, I now find the lack of humanity sometimes displayed by our species more alarming and frightening than any horror story I have read in the past.

DH and I were students at Georgetown when the book came out and the movie was being filmed.  William Peter Blatty, the author, was an alumnus and his son was a student who married a friend of mine. 

Of course there was lots of talk on campus about both the book and the movie.  One of DH's roommates invited the official exorcist of the Washington Diocese whom he'd met at some function to dinner at their group house.  All 5 students said the priest was charming but the stories were very disturbing to say the least.

Watching the filming of the movie going to and from class was interesting but I still have trouble seeing the 'exorcist' steps when driving by en route to a friend's house.  Of course those steps had been there for decades before the movie and didn't seem particularly frightening (other than the thought of having to walk up them) but they still give me the shivers.

1 hour ago, sharkster77 said:

Jazz, I hope you paid your respects to Inspector Armand Gamache while you where there!!

Bien sûr!  We were following the complete Three Pines Inspiration Loop:

https://www.easterntownships.org/tourist-routes/12/three-pines-inspirations-map-louise-penny

On 7/15/2021 at 9:40 AM, Canal archive said:

Try Piddlehinton, Piddletrenthide and Puddletown in the Piddle valley in Dorset that’s a smutty giggle for little people. Or Donkey Town, Loose Bottom and Nether Wallop.

:classic_biggrin: I much enjoy Giggleswick and Blubberhouses in Yorkshire. And one of my favourites is also Pett Bottom near Canterbury. There is a chicken farm there that calls the hens girls. Yes, they have put that word together with Pett Bottom into the farm's name.

notamermaid

8 minutes ago, Canal archive said:

We have a large free range chicken farm near us and the chickens are always called girls.

I had heard it before about girls but it seems even more common than I thought. But pairing it with bottom...

Talking of words and English. You probably know that the "th", or phonetically speaking it is actually two sounds, does not exist in German. We notoriously struggle with it. When I was a teenager there was a comedy classic of a lady comedian playing presenter trying to sum up what had happened so far in a TV series that was supposed to be set in  England, struggling with pronouncing Middle Fritham and Nether Addlethorpe, etc. Completely made-up names riddled with th's. Hilarious for us who so much feel with the poor woman.

notamermaid

• Haha 1

Bunting, flags, game of boule?

French geography contest, like put a pin in the (blank) map where Paris is, closest one wins an eclair? Or draw the Canal du Nivernais perhaps, best drawing gets a rubber duck in French apparel?

Put up a large poster of a typical French town?

Get some wooden building blocks and build an imaginary French castle, most important here is a real small French flag fluttering on the tower.

notamermaid

• Like 3

Update on Würzburg: I have finalized the plans, trip going ahead, details to follow. Now I need to figure out which test prior to the trip I need to take where. I am only leaving my state Rhineland-Palatinate but it already seems an effort to me, I am glad I am not planning a trip overseas!

notamermaid

• Like 2

@sharkster77... the news you have been waiting for!  As of Aug 9...you can come visit.  Keep an eye open on this though, as quarantine plans are still required, but plan only unless the CBA decides you need to quarantine.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/ottawa-border-measures-reopening-1.6107988

Edited by Daisi

2 hours ago, notamermaid said:

Update on Würzburg: I have finalized the plans, trip going ahead, details to follow. Now I need to figure out which test prior to the trip I need to take where. I am only leaving my state Rhineland-Palatinate but it already seems an effort to me, I am glad I am not planning a trip overseas!

notamermaid

Is the testing a government requirement for interstate travel or are you doing it for your peace of mind?

23 minutes ago, Daisi said:

@sharkster77... the news you have been waiting for!  As of Aug 9...you can come visit.  Keep an eye open on this though, as quarantine plans are still required, but plan only unless the CBA decides you need to quarantine.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/ottawa-border-measures-reopening-1.6107988

Thanks for the link @Daisi  !  Though unless I missed something, fully vaxxed visitors will not have to quarantine--it's in the first full paragraph.

Now I need to find out if the ArriveCAN portal is a phone app or a website---I 'll need t pester my travel agent if this is not easy to find.

But looking forward to September!!!!!

2 minutes ago, sharkster77 said:

Thanks for the link @Daisi  !  Though unless I missed something, fully vaxxed visitors will not have to quarantine--it's in the first full paragraph.

Now I need to find out if the ArriveCAN portal is a phone app or a website---I 'll need t pester my travel agent if this is not easy to find.

But looking forward to September!!!!!

You don't need to quarantine however if the CBA decides that something doesn't look right, you may have to.  Just like Canadians crossing to the US, border guards are a law upon themselves.  You do need the quarantine plan and hopefully wouldn't need it, but it is a requirement to get in. 

ArriveCAN should be easily found in Play or Apple stores, which ever device you use.  If you don't have one, you can pre-file, but would need to do so on the Government website.

Hopefully by the time Sept rolls around, quarantine plans won't be required...hard for visitors from Europe etc to file one when they don't have people here to help.