River Cruising Water Cooler

Host Jazzbeau

Love your Audi pick up stories, some years ago it was all the rage in the U.K. to do the same- all be it a much shorter journey, something about VAT (tax) and we were in the EU at the time, that’s another story. Nice car. My husbands cousin (made his money with a friend by designing a piece of kit that is in all commercial aeroplanes) had a contract with Rolls of Royce for a new car to be delivered every year, no colour designated. One year his wife disliked the colour he mentioned it to his car dealer it was magically changed overnight. That’s one of the reasons that at one time you would never see an RR broken down or being low loaded anywhere in the world.

We happened to be visiting once when the delivery was made, my husbands claim to fame driving an RR with less than 20 miles on the clock. As an aside they are the most beautiful cars the air con is second to none and the leather is like silk, oh and you just have to wave like the Queen.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, jpalbny said:

So we got a twin sister for Chris's RS5 today!

20210722_135738.thumb.jpg.0288cf1634fd8b9953a6120dc10c1015.jpg

It was sad to let my S6 go but this car was too good to pass up. 

Love it! I couldn't justify it with my 5 mile commute to work, I wouldn't have time to "appreciate" it.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Certified Pre-Owned are the best deals!  My family has had three, and all turned out very well.  My son's Subaru WRX came with a typical unbelievable used-car salesman story:  previous owner had it for 6 months, but his dog didn't like the back seat so he traded it in on an SUV.  [Yeah, right.  OK, car looked good so we bought anyway.]  A few years later my son was hired by our local police force and one of his new workmates said 'That car looks familar.  I had to trade it after 6 months because my dog didn't like the back seat.'  You can't make this up!!!

My dog was very opinionated. And if you know German Shepherds - they can be quite vocal about their opinions. She really liked Lexus SUVs.

• Haha 1

Well done to those getting the application papers together, the mayors of the respective towns and cities and everyone involved.

Congratulations 🎉! The eleven great spas of Europe are now a UNESCO world heritage site.

Liverpool has sadly been stripped of its title as a UNESCO world heritage site. The reason appears to be that recent building projects have destroyed much of the maritime heritage character it is known for.

notamermaid

Non of the work has been done although the work has been agreed by the city council it’s the building of a new football stadium not the removal of existing buildings. Also looks like Stonehenge will loose it’s designation  as well. I’m not surprised at any of it I’m expecting more to loose their designations.

@Canal archive I meant to say that the buildings are still there but the new projects - also the football stadium, it was mentioned - destroy the atmosphere/overshadow the buildings that create the maritime heritage.

16 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

What do you get with a UNESCO designation?  Financial aid, or just bragging rights (and overcrowding)?

Not sure actually. The emphasis is definitely in recognition and tourism, the overcrowding can happen as a result, we have seen it more than once. But that also happens elsewhere. Hallstatt for example. And Neuschwanstein castle. That is not on the list either, just a mad project for solitude, now filled with tourists.

notamermaid

Jazzbeau your right but no financial aid. Certainly overcrowding. I would say that not one member of the committee has been to Liverpool it has so much going for it not least of all the Liverpudlians and there Cathedral is outstanding.

Edited by Canal archive

27 minutes ago, Canal archive said:

Jazzbeau your right but no financial aid. Certainly overcrowding. I would say that not one member of the committee has been to Liverpool it has so much going for it not least of all the Liverpudlians and there Cathedral is outstanding.

Two Cathedrals – and we very much enjoyed the Williamson Tunnels (which were 'new' to our local friends!)

One well more than once we’ve been to the Grand National (a few years ago now) the Liverpudlian ladies go all out and the rapport between the police and the locals is amazing. They have a song with a line  ‘if you want a cathedral we’ve got one to spare’. One of there Bishop's was an ex England Cricketer.

The UNESCO people can be quite strict, they have threatened Cologne in the past and they are threatening Vienna. Cannot say anything about Liverpool. I remember talking to a woman from Dresden when the UNESCO was debating about the city. She said they need the bridge for daily commute. The bridge was built, the title is gone and I am convinced some locals have not cried about losing it.

Still, I like the idea of the spa towns. It is a European cultural phenomenon that deserves recognition in my opinion.

@Canal archive I hope it gives a boost to Bath - in the right quantities and with quality.

Liverpool - anyone been to the Lady Lever art galleries? Would like to see it, worth a detour? The Pre-Raphaelites, you know...

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid
Added questions

Why Liverpool lost UNESCO status . . . https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/liverpool-loses-unesco-world-heritage-status-180978252/

The new construction on the waterfront that “destroyed” the city’s maritime character. Everton’s new football stadium, I believe it’s a rendition. No longer a stroll  across the park for the Merseyside Derby. Perhaps another reason to lose the UNESCO status.
6AD261ED-9D50-4222-B085-DE266E663955.jpeg.fbe237a403a2cac136d6b46af2e53ce6.jpeg

The Benefits of Being a UNESCO World Heritage Site

There are a few benefits to being declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site:

• Press and Popularity. The first benefit, however, is all about tourism. Once a site has been recognized, it becomes more attractive to travelers and therefore travel writers and other news organizations will help spread the word. The site suddenly has a certain status that it didn’t have before, and for many countries, this could help bring new economic benefits.
  • Funding. The site is eligible to receive funds for its protection and conservation. Since it is declared something of historical significance, it is understood worldwide that it needs to be preserved. The site will also have access to global project management resources if a repair is needed or if more options for tourism is needed to ensure the site’s protection.
  • Protection during a war. Once declared, the site becomes protected under Geneva convention against destruction during a war.

• Thanks 1

Thanks CPT I looked for all that but couldn’t find exactly what you found. It’s the same as museums in the U.K. at least if your accredited (and to my everlasting horror after working for a year we didn’t get it) you can in theory be open to preferential treatment when applying for grants. It’s the last bit that bit on the list that bites you on the bum  there are sites in various parts of the world that regardless of their status have been obliterated by war. These sites are lost to our children and there children forever. Our archive slogan is ‘Preserving the past for the future’ not shoving it in their faces but telling the story truthfully and accurately.

Scouse alone should qualify . . .

Sadly the UN has not backed up its stated values when it comes to point 3 when related to belligerents. Seems they are quicker to act on the addition of football stadium (that doesn’t demolish anything) than on the Seige of Dubrovnik. 

I am getting ready - slowly - for my trip to Würzburg and my attention has shifted temporarily to Germany, away from the island in the North Sea. In the meantime, here is a travel video from Deutsche Welle that focuses on another island in the North Sea - in Germany: Sylt

https://youtu.be/lmCjnRJ1exU

notamermaid

The date: 29 July

The place: Würzburg, near or at the Main river 

The hotel is booked, if the incidence rate stays low and all people travelling test negative (I am not going alone) then I plan to send a message to you from the town.

So that many people can join, I am keeping this in the open CC, but I have to keep info limited as I need to look after my fellow travellers.

I hope my phone works on the day, technical problems happen to even the powerful, not just us (Mr. Speaker, can you hear me?) ...

notamermaid

• Like 2

Thanks.Happy to read that some of you are following, I am trying to get the list of original meet-up interested people together for personal invitation so you do not miss me. It completely eluded me to do it there and then, some time in Autumn, sorry. I have seven so far. For safety reasons, I am afraid, meeting at St. Kilian's statue is out. I will work something out. Time difference is a problem, "meeting" definitely after 1pm my time, promise.

Right, onto packing.

notamermaid

2 hours ago, notamermaid said:

Thanks.Happy to read that some of you are following, I am trying to get the list of original meet-up interested people together for personal invitation so you do not miss me. It completely eluded me to do it there and then, some time in Autumn, sorry. I have seven so far. For safety reasons, I am afraid, meeting at St. Kilian's statue is out. I will work something out. Time difference is a problem, "meeting" definitely after 1pm my time, promise.

Right, onto packing.

notamermaid

I would love to meet you there (virtually).  Ich mag Wurzburg, und Karlstadt ist nah.  Silvaner an die Brucke!  Viel Spass!

• Like 2