Wow, Alaska 2021 prices have sky rocketed

whitshel

15 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

I believe you are both onto something. My thoughts are the Canadian border will still be closed to cruise guests next summer because Canadians are not supposed to be “fully” vaccinated until the end of 2021.  Perhaps RC is realizing the same thing and is pricing Alaska out of the market.  I’m speculating that any tourists will also not be welcome until the end of 2021 as well. 

I know the cruise lines were possibly looking at a temporary suspension of the Jones Act so they can sail Direct Seattle to Alaska. Not sure the status on that. But I think if Canada does open back up to ships it may be limited ships in port at one time. Alaska will be in very dire straits without cruise ships in 2021.

I am astounded at the prices RCCL are now charging. A three night cruise on the Odyssey is £2,022 per person for a Grand suite. We are booked in to A queens grill suite on the Queen Elizabeth for £1,395 for a similar length cruise. The provided butler service and private dining. 

10 hours ago, roeco9084 said:

I know the cruise lines were possibly looking at a temporary suspension of the Jones Act so they can sail Direct Seattle to Alaska. Not sure the status on that. But I think if Canada does open back up to ships it may be limited ships in port at one time. Alaska will be in very dire straits without cruise ships in 2021.

Planning a land trip in case my cruise is cancelled.

12 hours ago, sfaaa said:

In ports and at the glacier yes but too cold and windy even on a good day when the ship is moving. I seldom saw anyone sitting on his/her balcony for long when cruising Alaska.

I've sailed Alaska with and w/o a balcony and honestly think they're overrated for Alaska as I'm always up on deck for the best views.  But as long as there is a chance of an outbreak and confinement in a cabin, I do understand the appeal of a balcony when cruising starts up again regardless of the itinerary.

4 hours ago, mek said:

I've sailed Alaska with and w/o a balcony and honestly think they're overrated for Alaska as I'm always up on deck for the best views.  But as long as there is a chance of an outbreak and confinement in a cabin, I do understand the appeal of a balcony when cruising starts up again regardless of the itinerary.

Might change your mind if you ever had a aft corner balcony facing the wake with a  270 degree viewing, with the balcony also being out of the wind. Quite enjoyable.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

This seems likely.  I was looking at prices for my Ovation in August cruise was surprised by the low price on the opening screen.  Insides were really really cheap. However, when I drilled further down my obstructed balcony was $2000 more than the group rate I got through my TA back when itineraries were released last November.

Idk they ever had obstructed group prices. First I heard of it.

I priced my cruise my TA gave me a regular balcony and pr is now almost the same price and it's only been a week or so. I asked him if he thought prices would be better now or last minute and he thinks better when they first come out. So prices are actually higher now than even a week or so ago.

You say you were surprised when you first looked, I'm more disappointed. Says prices from 404, but when I change to 1 person, says prices from 839. Still seems unfair you cant book gty solo. I like the 2 loyalty pts, but not when the prices jump more than 200% from what they first show.

Thank goodness for my TA. 

On 11/30/2020 at 8:55 PM, roeco9084 said:

Jones nor PVSA will be modified just for S.E. Alaska. 

While the mass market cruise industry does contribute to this part of Alaska's economy, it does nothing for the rest of the state.  Furthermore there are US operators both for cargo and passengers on these routes albeit with small ships.  Modifying either Jones or the PVSA would quickly be challenged in court and rightfully so. 

Nonetheless the acts can only be waived for purposes of National Security.  A small component of Alaska's overall economy doesn't equal National Security.  Any other modification has to be passed by Congress as an amendment.  I'd be highly surprised if Congress even considered looking at it especially given there are US operators on these routes using US flagged ships for both cargo and passengers. 

Across the US there is a significant passenger vessel fleet beyond cruise ships that do more for the US economy compared to what these foreign cruise companies do. 

Congress won't open that can of worms so that foreign companies earn more money and still pay little to no US taxes employing very few Americans. 

On 12/1/2020 at 4:24 PM, Jimbo said:

Might change your mind if you ever had a aft corner balcony facing the wake with a  270 degree viewing, with the balcony also being out of the wind. Quite enjoyable.

I would agree that a corner aft is the only location that is worth sitting on for an extended amount of time, but I personally like to be out and about - I have a very hard time sitting still in one place for very long.