Wow, Alaska 2021 prices have sky rocketed

whitshel

I think they're pushing prices higher to deter people from accumulating more FCC. FCC seems like a good idea to retain customers, but it's going to backfire on the cruise lines. That's another 25% in business expense they need to eat in the future. They will never be profitable if they're always having to play catch up. Deals are a thing of the past. Expect higher prices for everything in the near future. Cruising will be only for rich people again.

7 hours ago, drsel said:

Yes, you should not pay exorbitant prices.

wait for last minute price drops.

Exactly!  As long as people pay the high prices the cruise lines will not drop them and some will, (IMO), foolishly pay today's prices fearing they will be even higher in the future.

I don't think that will happen - I believe once ships start sailing at full capacity there will be a ton of bargains out there.  I'm not saying that will happen in 2021- maybe not even 2022 but I think it eventually will.

Edited by mek
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Chicken_Lips said:

I think they're pushing prices higher to deter people from accumulating more FCC. FCC seems like a good idea to retain customers, but it's going to backfire on the cruise lines. That's another 25% in business expense they need to eat in the future. They will never be profitable if they're always having to play catch up. Deals are a thing of the past. Expect higher prices for everything in the near future. Cruising will be only for rich people again.

Near future - perhaps, but long term - no.

1 hour ago, drsel said:

Yes,  new ships are still being built / launched

Yes and the "rich" are not going to want to cruise with 5,000 of their closest friends and eat mass cruise line food.  Mass cruising will still be priced to attract middle class cruisers.

• Like 1

If you don't mind changing lines, I believe this might be the best 7 day itinerary going.....

• Day 1: Whittier, Alaska, Us
    • Sun Sep 11 2022 | Depart 08:00 PM
    • Day 2: Hubbard Glacier
    • Mon Sep 12 2022 | 03:00 PM To 06:00 PM
    • Day 3: Glacier Bay
    • Tue Sep 13 2022 | 08:30 AM To 06:30 PM
    • Day 4: Skagway, Alaska, Us
    • Wed Sep 14 2022 | 07:00 AM To 09:00 PM
    • Day 5: Juneau, Alaska, Us
    • Thu Sep 15 2022 | 08:00 AM To 06:00 PM
    • Day 6: Ketchikan, Alaska, Us
    • Fri Sep 16 2022 | 11:00 AM To 07:00 PM
    • Day 7: Scenic Cruising The Inside Passage
    • Sat Sep 17 2022 |
    • Day 8: Vancouver, B.C., Ca
    • Sun Sep 18 2022 | Arrive 07:00 AM

58 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

If you don't mind changing lines, I believe this might be the best 7 day itinerary going.....

• Sat Sep 17 2022 |

Jimbo, which line is this?

1 hour ago, Jimbo said:

• Sat Sep 17 2022 |

Yes, but can you sail into the glaciers that late in the season?

Hey guys! Thanks for all the info here. I have a cruise booked on Radiance in August. So hard to comit to airfare and booking excursions with independent tour companies with the big "If" they cancel scenario that is before us. Perhaps this needs to be the one time I book them through RCL to ensure easy cancellation. 

So hard to know what is gonna happen. Alaska takes months to plan!

What are the odds.......50/50??

20 hours ago, sfaaa said:

Balconies are in great demand because of COVID and potential quarantine concerns. Interior prices remain quite reasonable.

This seems likely.  I was looking at prices for my Ovation in August cruise was surprised by the low price on the opening screen.  Insides were really really cheap. However, when I drilled further down my obstructed balcony was $2000 more than the group rate I got through my TA back when itineraries were released last November.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jean87510 said:

Jimbo, which line is this?

It was Holland America,  but Princess does that type of itineraries  too. Line doesn't matter to us when doing Alaska. Itinerary and price and cabin location is what we look for.

Edited by Jimbo

22 hours ago, Biker19 said:

Maybe they want to limit further bookings because they want to limit capacity.

That's exactly what I think every time someone announces a spike in price. It's good business. If someone wants to pay that price good for the cruise line. They can always drop the price closer to sailing if they need bookings. The customer will think they are getting a deal and the cruise line will hold to the original release date price. Win Win.

13 hours ago, hallux said:

Might I suggest that they are raising prices BECAUSE bookings need to be limited?  Fewer people on board means that fixed costs are spread over fewer passengers which means that those passengers pay a higher per-person price.

RCI can't very well keep prices as they were - investors expect to see profits and debtors expect repayment, the only way to accomplish that is to increase revenue by increasing prices.

While I agree with this I also take into consideration that many used FCC's and Lift and Shift to book these early cruises which is basically money already spent by the cruise line. They are probably hoping for new business and more revenue from those with FCC's to burn. 

22 hours ago, sfaaa said:

Balconies are in great demand because of COVID and potential quarantine concerns. Interior prices remain quite reasonable.

Balconies are desirable on an Alaska itinerary on a good day. Covid just created a bigger desire. 

11 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

Balconies are desirable on an Alaska itinerary on a good day. Covid just created a bigger desire. 

In ports and at the glacier yes but too cold and windy even on a good day when the ship is moving. I seldom saw anyone sitting on his/her balcony for long when cruising Alaska.