Nieuw Statendam is moving destination Sint Eustatius WHY ????????

On 12/1/2020 at 2:31 PM, Mickb said:

According the lecture that I listened from Captain Albert,  N Statendam and Westerdam are 2 of the 6 ships which are being relocated back to the US to prepare for the advent of no longer than 7 day cruises from US ports only when the CDC allows.

Zaandam and Volendam remain in Torbay and presumably will be able to pick up European cruising itineraries when HAL decide to resume. 
I suspect that when the go ahead is given, there will be a wholesale rearrangement of itineraries and ships to fit in with what is permitted.

I am guessing Westerdam Europe will be cancelled too? 

48 minutes ago, bennybear said:

Wonder when HAL will officially cancel these?  We’re booked in May in Europe.

May might’ve be iffy (JMO) - I’d be tempted to look at cruises in the fall = maybe a collectors and heading back across the pond?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, rjbean4 said:

That has been my thought regarding close friends that are booked in August out of Vancouver on NA. They have invited me to go with them as I lost my mom in early October and even before that we had canceled our Holiday cruise for this year on NS cause we just knew it wasn't going to happen and eventually was cancelled. I would of course love to go with our friends but have to see where things are at as that time gets closer and I also have to renew my passport.  Cruising for me just wont be the same without my mom.

Sorry to hear of your loss of your Mom.  

2 hours ago, kazu said:

May might’ve be iffy (JMO) - I’d be tempted to look at cruises in the fall = maybe a collectors and heading back across the pond?

Oh it’s major iffy!  I fully expect it will be cancelled.  I would just like it moved to 22.  
not sure my sealegs can do a crossing🤢

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, frankh1969 said:

Does this mean that she will stay in the Caribbean  this summer and cancel all her cruise out of Amsterdam?

I have no crystal ball, but I think the writing is on the wall.  Why else would they send them to North America if they are doing European cruises in May?   But maybe someone who knows more can weigh in?  

1 hour ago, CruiserBruce said:

Way too soon to know what is going to be happening this next summer.  That is over 6 months away...a lifetime in the Covid era.

Last May Princess cancelled our October cruise,  we’re in the same time frame now  five months from May and HAL is moving ships that were supposed to sail in Europe this spring to North America now.   So I think they know where they won’t be.  Would be good if they made it official.  

Another thought related to Nieuw Statendam and Westerdam specifically. HAL employ a large number of entertainers from the US/Canada who face difficult travel restrictions if traveling to Europe.  They also have a decent number of cruise staff from North America.  Could they be collecting staff/entertainers from the US to then sail without passengers to Europe?  This would fit in with the model of collecting service staff from places like the Philippines and Indonesia then sailing to the ports/regions where they intend to restart service from. Basically the reverse of what happened earlier this year with crew repatriation.

• Like 2

As a cautionary tale, I would suggest that anyone who has serious doubts about their Europe Cruises, cancel them before HAL does. When HAL cancelled our August 2021 due to the ships sale, it took almost 6 months for them to credit us back our FCDs, which came as FCCs with a bonus. When we cancelled our Spring Asia 28 Day B2B, we had our FCDs back in a matter of days. 

So based on my small sample size, you cancel cruise, prompt refunds. HAL cancels cruise, not so prompt refunds and possibly to a different from (FCC instead of FCD). 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, drowelf said:

As a cautionary tale, I would suggest that anyone who has serious doubts about their Europe Cruises, cancel them before HAL does. When HAL cancelled our August 2021 due to the ships sale, it took almost 6 months for them to credit us back our FCDs, which came as FCCs with a bonus. When we cancelled our Spring Asia 28 Day B2B, we had our FCDs back in a matter of days. 

So based on my small sample size, you cancel cruise, prompt refunds. HAL cancels cruise, not so prompt refunds and possibly to a different from (FCC instead of FCD). 

I agree if you are before final payment (which everyone should be right now).  Mine was AFTER final payment and has been a real mess, even though I cancelled it.

31 minutes ago, drowelf said:

I cancelled in March before my final payment (the writing was on the wall).

I Ididn’t get my FCC until I booked my current cruise and because my TA called and told them escalate it to apply to the booking.  My refund came in a reasonable time all things considered but the FCC took twice as long.