Nieuw Statendam is moving destination Sint Eustatius WHY ????????

Koningsdam is the only HAL ship right now set up for Pacific Cruises - Mexican Riveria, Hawaii, Alaska etc. Nieuw Amsterdam is currently headed for the Panama Canal, most likely to join her.

Nieuw Statendam is headed to the Caribbean, which will again put 3 ships in the area ready for whatever is left of the winter Caribbean season.

Edited by richwmn

1 hour ago, Gail & Marty sailing away said:

Nieuw Statendam     is moving    destination Sint Eustatius     ETA 12/11   WHY   ?????

Sint Eustasius, is a municipality of the Netherlands, and therefore follows the travel restrictions of the Netherlands (unlike Sint Maarten, which is a country within the Netherlands, and which can set their own laws).  Both the Netherlands and Sint Maarten allow crew changes, I think Sint Eustasius has less restrictions.

• Like 3

HAL's President said some ships will be heading to the Caribbean to eventually resume cruising.  The NA is scheduled to do the Western Caribbean the Wednsday after Easter and the Nieuw Statendam is supposed to do the Eastern Caribbean April 11 to 18th. 

12 minutes ago, shipshapegirl said:

We were suppose to be on the Nieuw Statendam on April 18th for the 14 Day Normandy and Azores cruise, which got cancelled.  I can't see bringing the ship over for one cruise.  I would love to know their plans.

We were Dec 30th to May 2 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, shipshapegirl said:

We were suppose to be on the Nieuw Statendam on April 18th for the 14 Day Normandy and Azores cruise, which got cancelled.  I can't see bringing the ship over for one cruise.  I would love to know their plans.

I agree - one or even two cruises before going to Europe does not make alot of sense to me (due to setup times, staffing , etc.).  One of two things (IMO) will happen - HAL with cancel the early April cruises and go right to Europe OR HAL will keep these ships in the Caribbean for the summer (which they never do to my knowledge but these are different times).

• Like 1

According the lecture that I listened from Captain Albert,  N Statendam and Westerdam are 2 of the 6 ships which are being relocated back to the US to prepare for the advent of no longer than 7 day cruises from US ports only when the CDC allows.

Zaandam and Volendam remain in Torbay and presumably will be able to pick up European cruising itineraries when HAL decide to resume. 
I suspect that when the go ahead is given, there will be a wholesale rearrangement of itineraries and ships to fit in with what is permitted.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Mickb said:

I suspect that when the go ahead is given, there will be a wholesale rearrangement of itineraries and ships to fit in with what is permitted.

This is looking more and more likely. I expect very few itineraries, or ships, to operate as planned in the next 10-12 months.  There is enough pent up demand that even a line like HAL, which typically does not keep a ship in the Caribbean for the Summer, could easily fill a ship doing 7nt Caribbean cruises from FtLauderdale to 40-50% capacity (which will probably be max allowed at first) between April-September - even with a short sales window.

Edited by AtlantaCruiser72
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

This is looking more and more likely. I expect very few itineraries, or ships, to operate as planned in the next 10-12 months.  There is enough pent up demand that even a line like HAL, which typically does not keep a ship in the Caribbean for the Summer, could easily fill a ship doing 7nt Caribbean cruises from FtLauderdale to 40-50% capacity (which will probably be max allowed at first) between April-September - even with a short sales window.

Do you think i am in trouble

39 minutes ago, Gail & Marty sailing away said:

looks like i am in trouble with my Aug 1, 2021 out of Amsterdam  112 days in Europe   on the N.S need to find a different ship for Aug,

While no one knows what is going to happen, IMO HAL will sail the Caribbean this summer on 7 days.  I would have a plan B just in case I am right.

1 hour ago, Gail & Marty sailing away said:

looks like i am in trouble with my Aug 1, 2021 out of Amsterdam  112 days in Europe   on the N.S need to find a different ship for Aug,

I think until there is more clarity in scheduling, you are chasing your tail 😜

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KirkNC said:

Won’t that depend on Canada?

That has been my thought regarding close friends that are booked in August out of Vancouver on NA. They have invited me to go with them as I lost my mom in early October and even before that we had canceled our Holiday cruise for this year on NS cause we just knew it wasn't going to happen and eventually was cancelled. I would of course love to go with our friends but have to see where things are at as that time gets closer and I also have to renew my passport.  Cruising for me just wont be the same without my mom.

14 minutes ago, rjbean4 said:

That has been my thought regarding close friends that are booked in August out of Vancouver on NA. They have invited me to go with them as I lost my mom in early October and even before that we had canceled our Holiday cruise for this year on NS cause we just knew it wasn't going to happen and eventually was cancelled. I would of course love to go with our friends but have to see where things are at as that time gets closer and I also have to renew my passport.  Cruising for me just wont be the same without my mom.

I'm very sorry for your loss.  I hope you'll find a way to continue cruising.  I dread the day that I lose my mother and cruising companion...

48 minutes ago, rjbean4 said:

Sorry to hear about your Mom.

1 hour ago, rjbean4 said:

So Sorry for your loss. Cherish your memories of all the wonderful cruises you had together.🙏

2 hours ago, rjbean4 said:

Sorry for your loss.  I remember you mentioning your mom as your 'cruise buddy' during the threads on the returning ships and passengers trying to get home, during last spring.

3 hours ago, rjbean4 said:

I am so sorry to hear this ♥️ 

Prayer for you and your Mom.  

Remember, she is with you in your heart, always.

4 hours ago, rjbean4 said:

Our condolences