Sapphire and Majestic Ships

Denmal

I see that for Alaska in 2022, both the Sapphire and Majestic will be in rotation.  Have not been on either ship.  Opinions on either ship.  We like the Grand and the Royal, Regal and Sky.  Just wondering which ship might be better or should we pick the date with the Grand ? 

The Sapphire is one of our favourites, we really like the size being that bit smaller and the restaurants are divided up into smaller venues with different identities which was lovely.  A lot of other people say to go for the smaller ships for Alaska.  At the moment I'd just be grateful to get on a ship!!!

• Like 2

My husband and I loved the Majestic around southern Australia. Even though it is a big ship, it never felt crowded. We especially enjoyed the Hollywood Conservatory, a covered pool and the private cabanas that you don't have to reserve in advance. The ship is beautifully appointed. We've also sailed on the Sapphire too and enjoyed her too. 

On 12/16/2020 at 7:21 PM, Ombud said:

Sapphire and watch the wake from Skywalkers!! It's one of the things that I miss on the Royal Class ships

I have not been on Royal Class ship;  so the Royal class do not have a area like Skywalkers to view from above?

50 minutes ago, AF-1 said:

I have not been on Royal Class ship;  so the Royal class do not have a area like Skywalkers to view from above?

No Skywalker's or other upper deck enclosed viewing area on Royal Class ships with the one exception of the Hollywood Conservatory on the Majestic, deck 17 forward. The Royal, Regal and Majestic have the Horizon Terrace, deck 16 aft which is a combo outdoor buffet dining area, tables and chairs, with some sofas and chairs. This area on the Sky, Enchanted and Discovery has the wake view pool. 

Hi Denmal from North Carolina,

Majestic would be my least favorite.

Agree with others -- The Sapphire would be my choice.

Grand - refurbished 3/2019

Guests -2600

Length – 949 ft

Sapphire – refurbished 3/2018

Guests – 2670

Length – 952 ft

Majestic - refurbished 12/2018

Guests – 3560

Length – 1082 ft

Majestic -- having an additional 1000 guests in Alaskan port is not for us.  Ketchikan and Skagway are small ports and can get over crowded when ships are in port.  Plus, the Majestic does not have a promenade deck like the others ships.  Also, the Majestic was originally configured for the Asia Pacific market.  What changes did they make to the Majestic (during the 2018 refurbishment) to accommodate the North American market? 

We are currently looking an Alaska Cruise Tour for July 2022 with the Sapphire being our choice.  This is our 3rd Cruise Tour in Alaska

Sapphire Princess 2018 refurbishment

The 2018 dry dock refurbishment (2-week project, done in Singapore 😞

• new bow livery
  • All cabins were upgraded with the custom-made Princess Luxury beds.
  • Renovated the wellness center (Fitness Center and Lotus Spa )
  • Renovated all retail shops, corridors and hallways.
  • Princess Theatre (indoor movie lounge) received new LED screen (15x5 m / 49x16 ft).
  • Theater's show programs have been upgraded with the new production show like "Bravo". The musical is offered on formal nights.
  • A new category cabin (Club-Class Mini-Suite) was introduced with VIP amenities and reserved dining area. Price-inclusive amenities also include expedited dinner seating, priority services (embarkation/disembarkation), complimentary wine, expanded menu, premium bathrobes.
  • SHIP SYSTEMS: Inspection and repair of propellers, exchangers, propulsion as well as hot and cold water lines.

John