Will my transatlantic june9th go ahead

lindylooellalouise

9 minutes ago, lindylooellalouise said:

Hi just wondering what are the possibilities of my June 9th transatlantic cruise going ahead 

It depends upon whether the presidential proclamation is lifted regarding travellers who are not U.S Citizens or Green Card Holders travelling to the USA from the UK?. There is no timeframe as to when this might happen. If the proclamation is still in effect on June 9th Cunard will cancel the sailing on the basis of the Captain Wells/Hashmi being british nationals unable to enter the country. Nevermind passengers, the ship cannot sail if bridge officers are unable to enter and therefore returning the vessel home. A decision to cancel will likely be reached several weeks before your travel date.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ace2542 said:

It depends upon whether the presidential proclamation is lifted regarding travellers who are not U.S Citizens or Green Card Holders travelling to the USA from the UK?. There is no timeframe as to when this might happen. If the proclamation is still in effect on June 9th Cunard will cancel the sailing on the basis of the Captain Wells/Hashmi being british nationals unable to enter the country. Nevermind passengers, the ship cannot sail if bridge officers are unable to enter and therefore returning the vessel home. A decision to cancel will likely be reached several weeks before your travel date.

On that basis, does that mean all airlines have to ensure their air crew meet the same criteria?

8 hours ago, ace2542 said:

Yeah I suppose it might do. I think most of the captains are American aren't they?

Without having any stats on non US nationals who train as pilots, I can't answer that but on a cursory read, FAA regs. seem to have exemptions under certain conditions for air crew and so might the same consideration might be given to Cunard Captains?

I haven't a clue so won't speculate but my personal thoughts, right or wrong, are any voyage involving US ports would initially revolve around passenger rights to enter the US rather than that of ship Captains, their officers and of course crew, British or any other nationalities .

Technically at an airport airside is not landside when it comes to flight from international zones; though quite how a long haul flight captain could stay airside on arrival is a different matter (as he would need a rest period)..  As this is already happening though with International flights (as can be seen on daily tweet feeds from various international airlines/pilots) I presume they are simply included in the essential part of any rules (I suppose you cant get less essential 😉) along with the crew as long as they stay in there own bubble and quarantine.

Edited by ighten

8 hours ago, Victoria2 said:

I haven't a clue so won't speculate but my personal thoughts, right or wrong, are any voyage involving US ports would initially revolve around passenger rights to enter the US rather than that of ship Captains, their officers and of course crew, British or any other nationalities

But surely if the Captain can't enter and the bridge crew with him can't enter then by extension of that the ship can't sail as they can't get a crew? As Cunard won't put them on the ship and let them sail if for example as with a person with no ESTA Cunard gets a £4,300 fine per person. That gets passed onto the passenger but I don't think they could pass it onto the crew for doing company business.  U.S immigration requires all persons to do immigration every time then the ship arrives in Brooklyn Cruise Terminal. So until the proclamation is lifted I think Transatlantic crossings are off.

2 hours ago, ace2542 said:

But surely if the Captain can't enter and the bridge crew with him can't enter then by extension of that the ship can't sail as they can't get a crew? As Cunard won't put them on the ship and let them sail if for example as with a person with no ESTA Cunard gets a £4,300 fine per person. That gets passed onto the passenger but I don't think they could pass it onto the crew for doing company business.  U.S immigration requires all persons to do immigration every time then the ship arrives in Brooklyn Cruise Terminal. So until the proclamation is lifted I think Transatlantic crossings are off.

You were hazy about air crew exemptions so do you know for certain ships' crew won't be exempt on  a bubble basis or is it more speculation but given as a certainty? I don't know, hence my comment re passengers.

Edited by Victoria2

2 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

You were hazy about air crew exemptions so do you know for certain ships' crew won't be exempt on  a bubble basis? I don't, hence my comment re passengers.

Honest answer. Pass.

I think we might be able to read a few things into these so called hundred days comments made by Biden. If his intends to ask people to wear masks for the first hundred days then step back from that. It could be implied that things might reopen from that point of 100 days into his administration. A point which comes in early may. Of course another thing to consider is if UK/Europe reopens to Americans. Because that reopening might influence the outcome. After all one of the points of the Visa Waiver Program is it is reciprocal. They don't need visas because we don't need visas if you catch my drift.

13 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

Honest answer. Pass.

I think we might be able to read a few things into these so called hundred days comments made by Biden. If his intends to ask people to wear masks for the first hundred days then step back from that. It could be implied that things might reopen from that point of 100 days into his administration. A point which comes in early may. Of course another thing to consider is if UK/Europe reopens to Americans. Because that reopening might influence the outcome. After all one of the points of the Visa Waiver Program is it is reciprocal. They don't need visas because we don't need visas if you catch my drift.

So basically, you know as much or as little as I. The bottom line is, we just don't know so what's the use in giving information as concrete when in fact we have absolutely no idea which way the DHS, CDC, Senate, Congress, Uncle Tom Cobley and all, will jump.🙂

Let's wait and see but keep our fingers crossed for TA resumptions asap. 

• Like 1

On 12/16/2020 at 3:09 PM, lindylooellalouise said:

Hi just wondering what are the possibilities of my June 9th transatlantic cruise going ahead 

I just cancelled our trip on the June 9th crossing - along with our April EB crossing.  Cunard came along and cancelled the April one just a few days later.  My travel agent thought Cunard would cancel June as well....but they haven't yet.  Honestly, I wouldn't hold out much hope if I were you.

On 12/18/2020 at 8:01 AM, lindylooellalouise said:

Hi not pinning my hopes on going really disappointing and fed up with moving all our cruises forward still have July and August 21 so possibly they might go and the December for B2B the med and canaries hopefully the vaccination program will be well underway if not finished by then.

Where are you in the vaccine queue? If the latest news articles  are to be believed we will run out of pfizer supply in a January and get no more till March. I think we can safely assume persons vaccinated with first dose thus far are guaranteed that second dose from this current supply. It would be a major screw up if they weren't. If we face loss of vaccine for a period of weeks it could put your update July/August dates under question perhaps?

17 minutes ago, lindylooellalouise said:

Hi not sure where I am in the queue but I’m over 65 with underlying health issues so maybe near the top. Don’t think any cruises will happen  now till after summer 21 the vaccination programs not going to be as quick as we first thought.

I thought the vaccine program was flying to be honest at least here in the UK. My father is 82 year old tablet diabetic not in a care home. They called him on the phone last Monday from his GP and he had the first shot Wednesday at a local NHS centre in our home town. Second jab Jan 6th. We had thought he would be late jan early feb at least.

The future approval of the single shot Johnson vaccine will as they say put a cat among the pigeons as they.

Edited by ace2542

9 minutes ago, lindylooellalouise said:

Good news your father has had the vaccine they have started here in my area vaccinating the over 85 years and now there are suggestions that the vaccine will run out at the end of the year not sure how true that is.

We are apparently only getting the batch of 800k which we have received and that is it till March to my knowledge.  However there is much hope in the media that the Astra will be approved by end of the year bringing potentially millions more doses to the table. And what about Moderna no mention of that in UK lately but we have 7 million on order and U.S have all but approved it. 

Again I just hope that the people who had the first pfizer have had the second dose set aside for them out of the "800k bulk" because it will be a big problem if they don't because won't they have to the first shot again if supplies run dry for weeks on end?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, lindylooellalouise said:

Hi not sure where I am in the queue but I’m over 65 with underlying health issues so maybe near the top. Don’t think any cruises will happen  now till after summer 21 the vaccination programs not going to be as quick as we first thought.

You are 5th in the queue.  I am 9th.  Not sure how many there are in front of you though, which is what really matters. 

We need the Oxford vaccine to be approved so that things keep moving forward and at a faster pace. 

The Moderna vaccine ha no been approved in the U.S.   It is still a two shot vaccine but it can be stored in normal freezers and refrigerators.   Just read in the  news that after first responders and those housed in institutions they will prioritize the under privileged  and the underserved.    Even my 98 year old mother in law will be left waiting.

16 hours ago, Lanky Lad said:

We need the Oxford vaccine to be approved so that things keep moving forward and at a faster pace

It's the only game in town now assuming the Russian will not be considered as the Moderna won't be in this country till spring and pfizer are somewhat limited in how much we can get at any one time despite signed contracts. We really need the Johnson single shot vaccine that would be a real game changer.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...