What's the go with Visa?

carlandlyn

Can anyone explain what the current problem is with Visa payments to RCI.

We have been trying to pay the deposit on a number of bookings for over two months but we cannot! We have tried online, via the Australian number, and directly into Miami. At all times the payment was rejected due to problems with Visa (and no, we have not tried a different company's cards, all ours are Visa). The latest issue was our most recent booking was cancelled (with no warning) because we hadn't paid the deposit - guess what WE CAN"T.

The team has been helpful, and very apologetic, and admitted there is a problem, but there is nothing they can do. A full two months without taking Visa payments, that's gotta be hurting, but after two months the next question is WHY is it taking so long to fix? We have asked this question directly to the company via email, with glib, or no response, so does that mean they don't care? Or they don't want the public to know that there is a problem, there must be others like us who are not able to make payments??

Anyone else experiencing this, or know why?

3 minutes ago, carlandlyn said:

We have been trying to pay the deposit on a number of bookings for over two months but we cannot! We have tried online, via the Australian number, and directly into Miami. At all times the payment was rejected due to problems with Visa (and no, we have not tried a different company's cards, all ours are Visa). The latest issue was our most recent booking was cancelled (with no warning) because we hadn't paid the deposit - guess what WE CAN"T.

The team has been helpful, and very apologetic, and admitted there is a problem, but there is nothing they can do. A full two months without taking Visa payments, that's gotta be hurting, but after two months the next question is WHY is it taking so long to fix? We have asked this question directly to the company via email, with glib, or no response, so does that mean they don't care? Or they don't want the public to know that there is a problem, there must be others like us who are not able to make payments??

I wish I could help you but my experience in using my Visa to make deposits and final payments to RCI has been nothing but positive. Ditto w/Princess: very good experience using my Visa for last February's Coral Princess sailing to South America. 

1 hour ago, carlandlyn said:

Please let us know the outcome? My husband uses a Visa for everything.

1 hour ago, carlandlyn said:

Or they don't want the public to know that there is a problem, there must be others like us who are not able to make payments??

It might some quirk with your card or some other issue affecting few people - RCG will not let some credit card process languish without ability to take money for long.

2 hours ago, ShmuelCharlie said:

I wish I could help you but my experience in using my Visa to make deposits and final payments to RCI has been nothing but positive. Ditto w/Princess: very good experience using my Visa for last February's Coral Princess sailing to South America. 

Up and til now we have no problems, it is a recent thing. Just seeing if anyone knows why.....Thanks.

38 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

It might some quirk with your card or some other issue affecting few people - RCG will not let some credit card process languish without ability to take money for long.

That's what we thought, but we have been told by a number of RCI phone operators that there is a problem with VISA, its not the cards (we are using them as normal for other stuff) and it has been going for at least 8 weeks that we know of. Thanks.

10 minutes ago, carlandlyn said:

Just seeing if anyone knows why

Not sure how that will fix your issue. I seem to recall that in Australia there's an alternative way to pay (account debit?), maybe try that. Maybe RCI is doing you a favor and trying to tell you something - stop giving them money.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I just had an issue with Visa  here in the US.  It took my TA 3 times before it accepted  the payment. She informed  me that I was not alone .They have had issues the past week with them. So she  kept trying until success. 

On 12/22/2020 at 2:28 AM, carlandlyn said:

Have you checked with your bank to make sure there's not a block on your visa account Visa for International charges. I know on my Visa card I can set up alerts on any international charges. Not sure how visa does things in Australia.

Related?  About 18 months ago, on a RC cruise, we received a note that there was a problem with the Visa card being used for onboard expenses.  (We had used that card for many years without a problem.)  We went to Guest Services; they tried the card several times, it did not work.  So they connected me with a Visa rep, who said he could not find any problem.  Nevertheless, GS asked if we could register another card instead, which we did (DH's Visa); there were no further issues.  GS said it is a common issue.  It only took a few minutes to resolve.

Apparently there is a quirk in the system somewhere. 

On 12/22/2020 at 4:32 PM, Tony O said:

I just had an issue with Visa  here in the US.  It took my TA 3 times before it accepted  the payment. She informed  me that I was not alone .They have had issues the past week with them. So she  kept trying until success. 

A weird thing is that pandemic effects not only people but also the hardware and software that is being operated by these people lol. I mean since the start of the pandemic, everyone noticed some malfunctions with all the electronic ways of  interactions.. transactions especially 

• Haha 1

Hi all, Just tried again online and again with the operator, still no luck. This VISA thing is a known issue with the operators, so its not just us, or our cards. But still no response to requests on why its happening, or how long its going to take to fix. As I said before, its been 8 weeks for us. There are other ways to pay, but that's beside the point.

Thank you everyone for your responses and suggestions. Appreciate your time.

Lynnandcarl

• 2 weeks later...

I experienced the same issue, not being able to pay a deposit by Visa in December, for a cruise in October this year. Oddly, a friend had their visa payment go through no problem. 
I’ve actually been wondering whether it’s something to do with the travel insurance attached to my card. It’s a Qantas Frequent Flyer Platinum card, and I always purchase holidays on it to activate the travel insurance. I wonder whether Visa are stopping cruise payments on these type of cards because they don’t want to be committing to any travel insurance with the current COVID situation. 
Does your card also have this feature attached?

In the end I paid with direct transfer. I just hope their Visa issue is sorted by the time I need to pay the balance in August.