35 Day Cruise out of San Diego?

Jingerwoppy

We loved the ports on a HAL 34 day cruise, but we did not enjoy the long stretches of sea days. We would defiantly take another long cruise if there were not any stretches of more than 3 or 4 days at sea in a row. We have found the entertainment on RC better and available in more locations and times than we did on HAL (although we were on a smaller HAL ship). Both lines have pro's and con's.

1 hour ago, zelker said:

The longest stretch on the February 2022 35 night itinerary on Zuiderdam is at the end, from the Marquesas back to San Diego - 9 nights/8 days.  We're up for the challenge! 👍

Our record is 11 sea days in a row and it does get to be a bit much.  You need to have lots of self entertainment and be happy just relaxing, reading or whatever floats your boat 🚣‍♀️.

• Like 3

On 2/3/2021 at 11:09 PM, LocoLoco1 said:

We are 4-star HAL cruisers. Numerous Trans-Atlantics, trans-pacifics etc. Long HAL Cruises are boring shipboard. Go for the island destination land tours, snorkling etc and cocktails while aboard. Bring a Kindle or suitcase of books, or just work on a good tan. We wouldn’t cruise on any other cruiseline. 

I'm happy to see there is someone else who comes aboard with a "suitcase of books!"

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dchip said:

This is what I do on the many sea days in a row. Have loaded Kindle and lounge chair, will travel. 🤗

Cheers, Denise

9BBF2BD7-F755-41BD-96E1-29353D15EC0A.jpeg

Only on the older ships as there is no place to lounge on the new ones....

38 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

Only on the older ships as there is no place to lounge on the new ones....

Have not sailed on anything newer than Eurodam.  So are you saying the newer ships don't have a Promenade Deck?  😢

3 minutes ago, zelker said:

Have not sailed on anything newer than Eurodam.  So are you saying the newer ships don't have a Promenade Deck?  😢

The have a very small promenade deck, barley six feet wide in some places and there are no places to sit in loungers.

• Thanks 1

Just now, zelker said:

Yikes!!  😮

Yea and if you walk the deck you will invariably run into someone that walks the opposite direction as every one else.  That meeting always takes place on the narrow section. 🙄  

• Like 3

On 2/1/2021 at 9:37 PM, Jingerwoppy said:

My wife and I are typically RC cruisers but of course there are places that they don't really go much or have a route that doesn't really work for us. Because of this, we're thinking about the 35 day cruise to Hawaii and the South Pacific out of San Diego in February 2022. We've cruised for 19 days before but this is almost twice that.

If this has been offered before and you've taken it, how enjoyable was it?

Thanks

I am on this cruise too, and it will be the third time for a group of us! (Most of us are actually boarding the cruise before, since we are (mostly) east coasters. ) The ship becomes a little city and some of my very best friends I met on this trip! Check out the roll call too. Lots of great excursions are being planned, assuming we’re allowed to have fun on private tours by then!

11 hours ago, KirkNC said:

Yea and if you walk the deck you will invariably run into someone that walks the opposite direction as every one else.  That meeting always takes place on the narrow section. 🙄  

I found KONINGSDAM up on Deck 10?? quite to my liking. I walk 3/miles in the morning on Trans-Oceanics then ‘Kindle Out’ daily. Yes, I loved the older Teak Promenades, but I’ve adjusted. K’dam is a better layout  in so-oo many ways. 

On 2/1/2021 at 10:12 PM, JJG99 said:

The Tales of the South Pacific was absolutely fabulous, so many wonderful ports that you can rarely get to on a cruise. We would do that cruise again in a heart beat and coming from Australia- we have done a lot of cruises around the South Pacific and Tahitian islands. Even though returning to San Diego after the last port was 7 days, it wasn't a trial at all. We embraced the ship board life with both hands.

It's not on the HAL website yet but we just booked the Tales of the South Pacific, sailing on Zuiderdam on October 3, 2022!!  We were supposed to do it this coming October but of course it was cancelled so we were so happy to see it available again next year.

So how's that "heart beat" now??!!??  LOL

• Like 1

Anytime one takes a cruise of more than 21 days, one will discover that the Holland America staff will really, really get to know you and solve whatever problems you might have! Check my signature, one does not get to that point without taking the longer cruises.

Dining room, bar staff, cabin attendants, and more! They take pride in what they do and will do almost anything to make a l-o-n-g cruise wonderful. DO NOT HESITATE. Book it!

Jim

• Like 1

On 2/3/2021 at 8:10 PM, tuolumne couple said:

Wow, what a presumptuous post. We are never bored on HAL and are always interested & enjoy all the activities on HAL. I am sorry that you are not able to find anything that engages you, but please do not try to categorize that which you do not understand. 

Not nice.   Keep in mind the OP specifically mentioned they were RC cruisers.   Given that information I do think the responses are appropriate and even somewhat accurate.   While I personally would be happy on a 200 day HAL cruise I do have friends that cruise other lines that would be bored out of their mind.   

Hank

• Like 1

On 2/11/2021 at 9:14 AM, zelker said:

It's not on the HAL website yet but we just booked the Tales of the South Pacific, sailing on Zuiderdam on October 3, 2022!!  We were supposed to do it this coming October but of course it was cancelled so we were so happy to see it available again next year.

So how's that "heart beat" now??!!??  LOL

It’s on the website now. We are booked. So excited since we were also on the cruise that canceled for this October. We are still going to cruise on this 35 day cruise in February 2022. We LOVE the South Pacific. 🥰

Cheers, Denise

• Like 1

On 2/12/2021 at 2:51 PM, dchip said:

It’s on the website now. We are booked. So excited since we were also on the cruise that canceled for this October. We are still going to cruise on this 35 day cruise in February 2022. We LOVE the South Pacific. 🥰

Cheers, Denise

We did R/T San Diego two years ago on the Eurodam.  It was fabulous!  Don't hesitate for a minute.  Would love to go again.

• Like 1

On 2/7/2021 at 2:59 PM, KirkNC said:

Our record is 11 sea days in a row and it does get to be a bit much.  You need to have lots of self entertainment and be happy just relaxing, reading or whatever floats your boat 🚣‍♀️.

For us those 11 days would be like heaven on earth :).  But we have seen a few folks have a difficult time on the long cruises with many sea days.  We watched one lady "freak out" her 2nd day on a long Prinsendam cruise as her husband just quietly sat there eating his breakfast.  She later told us she had no idea what it would be like to have so many sea days (this was only the 2nd of 23 sea days).  Go figure.

Hank

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

For us those 11 days would be like heaven on earth :).  But we have seen a few folks have a difficult time on the long cruises with many sea days.  We watched one lady "freak out" her 2nd day on a long Prinsendam cruise as her husband just quietly sat there eating his breakfast.  She later told us she had no idea what it would be like to have so many sea days (this was only the 2nd of 23 sea days).  Go figure.

Hank

Funny, I guess she survived the remaining three weeks of sea days.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

Funny, I guess she survived the remaining three weeks of sea days.

Actually no :(.  It was a 62 day Grand Med cruise (Prinsendam) that involved round trip crossings of the Atlantic.  I believe they decided to get off the ship before the last segment (the return crossing) to avoid those last 6 sea days.  They were actually a delightful couple but the lady was a hyper Type A person who just could not handle those long lazy sea days.

Hank

On 2/11/2021 at 2:31 PM, Hlitner said:

Not nice.   Keep in mind the OP specifically mentioned they were RC cruisers.   Given that information I do think the responses are appropriate and even somewhat accurate.   While I personally would be happy on a 200 day HAL cruise I do have friends that cruise other lines that would be bored out of their mind.   

Hank

Again, I am Sorry, please excuse me, I did not mean to offend you or for this to come across that way. I should have been more upbeat and said simply that we are never bored on HAL and are always interested & enjoy all the activities on HAL. That is my opinion.