Groundhog day

3 hours ago, lyndarra said:

I once got stuck across the Leeds Liverpool canal in Wigan on a 60' narrowboat. The narrowboat was longer than the canal was wide. I had just come out of a lock and was heading to the towpath to pick up my wife after she had operated the lock. There was a howling wind which caught the narrowboat and pushed it up a against the opposite side of the canal. I managed to back it off and get back to the towpath side and picked up my wife. Luckily there was no other canal traffic. It is common courtesy to close the lock gates after passing through but that day we couldn't do it as the wind kept blowing them open.

I wonder if they missed the Sign parallel parking only    ..... or did some sing out hand Stan a board...

Your story on a long boat... reminds me of a houseboat trip   there was just the two of us on board... Anyway had to stop at this place to get fuel.......  strong wind no where really to tie up....  nosed in near a big tree... on a sandy section stopped 5 feet short but the landing plank out and left BH at the wheel threw a rope a shore... ended up knee deep in water, landing plank start to float off, big gust of wind... yelled instructions turn the wheel and push the lever forward, while hurriedly put a rope around the tree, before grabbing another rope   while yelling more instructions.. and the rope just reached a post to tie to.....  it would have been funny to watch.... we did get tied up and refueled

Don

• Like 1

1 hour ago, getting older slowly said:

I wonder if they missed the Sign parallel parking only    ..... or did some sing out hand Stan a board...

Your story on a long boat... reminds me of a houseboat trip   there was just the two of us on board... Anyway had to stop at this place to get fuel.......  strong wind no where really to tie up....  nosed in near a big tree... on a sandy section stopped 5 feet short but the landing plank out and left BH at the wheel threw a rope a shore... ended up knee deep in water, landing plank start to float off, big gust of wind... yelled instructions turn the wheel and push the lever forward, while hurriedly put a rope around the tree, before grabbing another rope   while yelling more instructions.. and the rope just reached a post to tie to.....  it would have been funny to watch.... we did get tied up and refueled

Don

(Strong) Wind can often play havoc with canal boats as they are around 60' long and only 7' wide especially if you need to do a U turn and the canal is only about 30' or less wide. You have to wait until you find a winding hole.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winding_hole

Edited by lyndarra
left out link

• 1 month later...
On 2/22/2021 at 5:02 PM, lyndarra said:

Old proverb.

'You can put a boat on a ship but you can't put a ship on a boat.'

Begs the question. Can you put a ship on a bigger ship?

Yes, you can:

U.S. top court backs Sudan over American sailors in USS Cole bombing case |  Reuters

That's the USS Cole, an American destroyer, being taken home after being attacked by Al Quaeda in 2000.

Edited by Vader1111

26 minutes ago, Vader1111 said:

Yes, you can:

U.S. top court backs Sudan over American sailors in USS Cole bombing case |  Reuters

That's the USS Cole, an American destroyer, being taken home after being attacked by Al Quaeda in 2000.

The destroyer skipper was a keen game fisher. The Blue Marlin has got its revenge.😀

• 3 months later...

The thing is..... everyday IS THE SAME..... and It has been like that for ages...

the biggest is not being able to plan ahead......

Like us all here.... we have grown 2 year older... not going anywhere... sort of stuck in limbo...

Starting to get really fed up with all the pollies, and people not doing the right thing.....

But will anything change ... as said before    we are stuck in groundhog day.... it's cold out there.

Don

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, lyndarra said:

A question has been bugging me. 

Where are the pollies getting their hair cut?

Daniel Andrew's wife cut his during the lockdown last year and during our lockdowns this year. 

37 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

A question has been bugging me. 

Where are the pollies getting their hair cut?

What they pay to get a haircut........ I cut my own.... well what is left...lol

1 hour ago, Russell21 said:

Trouble is we are not stuck in limbo, the months are still ticking over and for a lot of us the battery does not have a helluva lot of charge left in it.

Agreed... for some.... there might not be opportunity to do things again....

I am pretty sure there are few years before i am put on scrap heap...

9 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

We are in a bad dream and can’t wake up.

Listening to a epidemiologist on the radio,the reality is parts of sydney will probably be in some kind of lockdown in December.

And beyond I fear.

2 hours ago, getting older slowly said:

The thing is..... everyday IS THE SAME..... and It has been like that for ages...

the biggest is not being able to plan ahead......

Like us all here.... we have grown 2 year older... not going anywhere... sort of stuck in limbo...

Starting to get really fed up with all the pollies, and people not doing the right thing.....

But will anything change ... as said before    we are stuck in groundhog day.... it's cold out there.

Don

Yes Don it is sad, many of us dinosaurs on here are not having much of a life towards the end of our days.

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

Yes Don it is sad, many of us dinosaurs on here are not having much of a life towards the end of our days.

That’s sad that you say that uncle Les,  it sounds like some of you folks are just giving up.

Just keep thinking about those cougars you have to protect and teach those young blokes about.

3 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

That’s sad that you say that uncle Les,  it sounds like some of you folks are just giving up.

Just keep thinking about those cougars you have to protect and teach those young blokes about.

Tis sad but true Phillip, medical condition, insurance costs, I fear I shall never board another ship to encounter the species you refer to.

istockphoto-149154299-1024x1024.thumb.jpg.18c02daa8930f2827906d262ea199fd6.jpg

Or even a glimpse of this nice Captain..

1417833928_th(3).jpg.a28bf88d9052ef3ce65a5843f91ab646.jpg

Edited by NSWP
  • Thanks 1