Ocho Rios excursions

Midwestprincess

Also agree about Dunn's River Falls, but beware the very aggressive vendors there.

In that port either take a ship's tour or one you arranged in advance with a reputable vendor. Do not try to pick up a tour once at the port and definitely do not head out on your own.

• Like 1

Last time we were in Ocho Rios we used hired a local taxi for half a day. We visited Noel Coward's House (Firefly) and the Sun Valley Plantation. Back near the port the driver took us to an observation point where we could watch others climbing the falls without us getting our feet wet!

The first time there, we went on the Dunn's River Falls Tour and it was great.  We would recommend it to everyone.

The second time there we took a taxi into the center of the city.  They have a wonderful straw market with baskets and paints and such, an a very nice shopping area.  They are very aggressive but if you just keep walking they will leave you alone.  We ate lunch at one of the restaurants on the walk back to the ship and again they will try to stop you as you walk through town but if you just keep walking, they will leave you alone. 

I see you’re new to Cruise Critic with 4 posts. Welcome Midwestprincess from Milwaukee, Wisconsin. This thread (Princess Cruises) will certainly provide comments to your questions and/or concerns.  Potspech and caribill and others have provided some good ideas.

I would also use the “Port of Call” for “Caribbean” forum then “Jamaica” which will provide a more robust functionality for your questions, comments and/or suggestions.  John

My first port call at Ocho Rios, we took a private tour with four tablemates in a minivan.  We visited Dunns River Falls and numerous other sights.  I had only 30 minutes or so at the Falls, but the Falls were wonderful.  

My second trip to Ocho Rios, I skipped the tours completely, and took a cab to the Falls.  I spent several hours there relaxing in the Falls, before grabbing another taxi back to the ship.  I paid a Falls guide and climbed part-way up, and then found a small waterfall to sit under with the water cascading down giving me a massage!  It was sheer heaven.

As others have already mentioned, the vendors are very persistent.  And the drugs they are trying to sell are very illegal and will get you in lots of trouble.  And many of the vendors are in cahoots with local police, to turn you in and to get their drugs returned to them to set up the next tourists.  So say no, loudly and often!