For those who've been on a Norwegian fiords cruise

sjde

9 hours ago, drsel said:

Is it possible to see the Northern lights from Honningsvag early September?

Possible,  but extremely unlikely. 

Sorry, that's not a great answer, but early September is at the edge of the viewing window. I certainly wouldn't plan a cruise at that time  of  year, if viewing the lights was a prime objective.

10 hours ago, drsel said:

Is it possible to see the Northern lights from Honningsvag early September?

You should have asked your question in a different way -

Is it possible etc. - you might see them but they will probably be very faint.  The first time I saw aurora was on a cruise in AK in late August.  It was a small ship to the ship was able to turn off all the lights except for the navigation lights.  The aurora were a very faint green glow that was barely visible.  If you hadn't told me that there were aurora that night, I might not have even noticed them.

Is the aurora that you might see worth getting excited about.  If that is the only aurora that you might see in your life it might be mildly exciting.  See my note in the above paragraph.  If you really want to see aurora, you need to plan a trip with the sole purpose to see them.  I went to northern AK one winter on an aurora photography trip.  Froze my butt off.  Very expensive trip including the extra clothing I had to buy in Fairbanks because the stuff I brought w me was not warm enough..  Picked my time for a period when there was no moon.  Had 5 days of intense sky filling bright aurora.  Trip was expensive but very successful.  I would do it again if my wife would let me.

Basically,  you have to decide if seeing aurora is sort of important or really important.

DON

34 minutes ago, donaldsc said:

Is it possible etc. - you might see them but they will probably be very faint.  The first time I saw aurora was on a cruise in AK in late August.  It was a small ship to the ship was able to turn off all the lights except for the navigation lights.  The aurora were a very faint green glow that was barely visible.  If you hadn't told me that there were aurora that night, I might not have even noticed them.

Is the aurora that you might see worth getting excited about.  If that is the only aurora that you might see in your life it might be mildly exciting.  See my note in the above paragraph.  If you really want to see aurora, you need to plan a trip with the sole purpose to see them.  I went to northern AK one winter on an aurora photography trip.  Froze my butt off.  Very expensive trip including the extra clothing I had to buy in Fairbanks because the stuff I brought w me was not warm enough..  Picked my time for a period when there was no moon.  Had 5 days of intense sky filling bright aurora.  Trip was expensive but very successful.  I would do it again if my wife would let me.

Basically,  you have to decide if seeing aurora is sort of important or really important.

DON

That's an excellent answer. If you really want to see the lights, you need to invest time and money. 

1 hour ago, donaldsc said:

DON

We sailed on Hurtigruten in March and they guaranteed if you didn't see them you could have a free cruise the following season. It wasn't life changing but we loved seeing them.

I wish I could say Princess after our cruise last summer, but alas like everyone else with a cruise scheduled for last summer, it did not happen.

Actually just saw a HAL sailing about half an hour ago on Great Cruise Ships on the Smithsonian Channel, and the scenery was spectacular. As one passenger put it, he was told Norway had the best scenery in the world, and it was even better than he expected.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

As one passenger put it, he was told Norway had the best scenery in the world, and it was even better than he expected.

Plus one. We loved it so much that we were returning last March for a one-way. Operative word "were."

4 hours ago, wowzz said:

Possible,  but extremely unlikely. 

Sorry, that's not a great answer, but early September is at the edge of the viewing window. I certainly wouldn't plan a cruise at that time  of  year, if viewing the lights was a prime objective.

The cruise has two nights in Honningsvag.

Is it for the Northern lights or?

3 hours ago, wowzz said:

That's an excellent answer. If you really want to see the lights, you need to invest time and money. 

the Cruise is mainly for the beautiful Norwegian fjords. A Norwegian fjords Cruise is supposed to be the most scenic Cruise in the world.

if we see the Northern lights at Honningsvag or anywhere else, it will be an added bonus.

4 minutes ago, drsel said:

The cruise has two nights in Honningsvag.

Is it for the Northern lights or?

It must be because there really isn't 48 hours worth of sightseeing. 

We took a half day tour with Blue Puffin (https://www.blue-puffin.com/en/#north_cape_sightseeing_wrapper) to the North Cape (visitors center, outdoor statuary, incredible views and wind) that included a stop in a very small village where our tour guide/owner of the company lives to show us king crab and drying cod and a stop at Sami Settlement photo site. There were a couple of reindeer and at least one of the family was dressed in their native garb for picture taking.  The town is small with a couple of sites of interest to tourists. 

5 hours ago, donaldsc said:

You might see them but they will probably be very faint.  The first time I saw aurora was on a cruise in AK in late August.  It was a small ship to the ship was able to turn off all the lights except for the navigation lights.  The aurora were a very faint green glow that was barely visible.  If you hadn't told me that there were aurora that night, I might not have even noticed them.

Is the aurora that you might see worth getting excited about.  If that is the only aurora that you might see in your life it might be mildly exciting.  See my note in the above paragraph.  If you really want to see aurora, you need to plan a trip with the sole purpose to see them. 

DON

It's sort of important, because we are mainly going for the Norwegian fjords. This may be a free added bonus!

9 hours ago, ontheweb said:

I wish I could say Princess after our cruise last summer, but alas like everyone else with a cruise scheduled for last summer, it did not happen.

Actually just saw a HAL sailing about half an hour ago on Great Cruise Ships on the Smithsonian Channel, and the scenery was spectacular. As one passenger put it, he was told Norway had the best scenery in the world, and it was even better than he expected.

The show is actually called Mighty Cruise Ships. I checked the on demand on the Smithsonian Channel, and there are 6 episodes. The one I saw last night on the Konigsdam going to Norway was actually episode 1.

9 hours ago, ontheweb said:

9 hours ago, clo said:

Plus one. We loved it so much that we were returning last March for a one-way. Operative word "were."

I guess I saved a lot of money for printing ink, photo paper, and probably at least one photo album.

Edited by ontheweb
change save to saved
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, ontheweb said:

The show is actually called Mighty Cruise Ships. I checked the on demand on the Smithsonian Channel, and there are 6 episodes. The one I saw last night on the Konigsdam going to Norway was actually episode 1.

I watch these as well. It's a good way to scratch that cruise itch a bit during these times...

1 hour ago, cruisemom42 said:

I watch these as well. It's a good way to scratch that cruise itch a bit during these times...

This was the first time I watched it. I actually accidentally found it when looking for something to watch at 8PM yesterday. Now I know there are 5 other episodes I can check out at any time if there is nothing else to watch.