Cruises out of UK, Summer 2021?

edgeman61

I've been seeing some posts (Facebook and Blogs) about the UK not allowing international sailings out of their ports until at least September 2021.

So far this has only been confirmed by Princess and P&O which may only be doing British Isles cruises (minus Guernsey) until that time.

We have a cruise on the Sirena for July 3, 2021 (Edinburgh to Reykjavik) and am not holding out much hope that we will be sailing.

Supposed to have Air through Oceania but haven't heard anything from them other than they were pushing back final payment dates (to 60 days out from sailing).

When Oceania has had to cancel cruises in the past, how much notice did they provide?

Thanks for any responses.

In the past  they usually do not ticket you until after final payment  unless you paid the deviation fee  you will not know the flight details until that time

Doubtful that your sailing will be going

JMO

1 hour ago, edgeman61 said:

I've been seeing some posts (Facebook and Blogs) about the UK not allowing international sailings out of their ports until at least September 2021.

So far this has only been confirmed by Princess and P&O which may only be doing British Isles cruises (minus Guernsey) until that time.

We have a cruise on the Sirena for July 3, 2021 (Edinburgh to Reykjavik) and am not holding out much hope that we will be sailing.

Supposed to have Air through Oceania but haven't heard anything from them other than they were pushing back final payment dates (to 60 days out from sailing).

When Oceania has had to cancel cruises in the past, how much notice did they provide?

Thanks for any responses.

In recent months Oceania's been cancelling one month of cruises at a time, with the announcement made by about 75 days prior to the first day of the newly cancelled month. For example, May cruises were cancelled on February 16 so barring developments warranting a change in procedure we can expect to see June cruises to be cancelled in about a week, and July cruises by about April 15, give or take a few days. 

Edited by njhorseman
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, GeorgesGal said:

My June 25 cruise on Marina went 'wait listed' for almost all categories a few weeks ago, and a few days ago it was completely waitlisted.  The handwriting is on the wall at this time, I guess!

Donna

I am hoping that the wait listing of cruises is in anticipation of the potential for reduced capacity sailings.  🤞 

Edited by Daniel A
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

My guess here is that the major issue with UK sailings from the summer onwards, will not be decisions of our government but those of the European governments of port destinations. For many, their vaccine rollout is relatively slow and certainly spreading into 2022. With minor exception, I cannot see a quick uplifting of travel restrictions this side of the establishment of the much talked about forge-proof international vaccine certificate.

A month ago I would have bet $$$$ on the fact our fall 2021 cruise to Greece/Turkey would not happen. 

I've since seen very positive developments with those two countries, not the least of which is a completely unexpected (on my part) swiftness in vaccination, coupled with a willingness to WORK WITH the system and other countries to encourage tourism.  I'm now thinking that this cruise may very well happen if the cruiseline keeps that itin.  I think the chances of the cruiseline in question completely ditching the current itins is larger than not being able to sail out of and into the countries we plan to visit.

The UK government today said they would allow domestic cruising (so round GTY Britain cruising) to start from May 17th (assuming this is dependent on our lockdown easing as per plan). Whilst this is not international departures it is very encouraging. 

P&O announced last week they are cancelling their summer season in the main, replacing it with short no port/sea days only cruising, presumably to be used as shakedown cruises for the staff and as proof of concept on their post pandemic offering. 

I have a P&O cruise booked for the end of October to Norway that I am quietly confident about.

famous last words and all that I know.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ToxM said:

The UK government today said they would allow domestic cruising (so round GTY Britain cruising) to start from May 17th (assuming this is dependent on our lockdown easing as per plan). Whilst this is not international departures it is very encouraging. 

P&O announced last week they are cancelling their summer season in the main, replacing it with short no port/sea days only cruising, presumably to be used as shakedown cruises for the staff and as proof of concept on their post pandemic offering. 

I have a P&O cruise booked for the end of October to Norway that I am quietly confident about.

famous last words and all that I know.

Any word from Ireland on whether they’ll allow those sailings in?

10 hours ago, pinotlover said:

Any word from Ireland on whether they’ll allow those sailings in?

Nothing as yet..I think P&O are going to be offering all sea day no port itineraries. 

So many countries are closed to cruising with good reason.  Many people haven’t been vaccinated. Even if cruisers have, they could potentially spread it or bring it home. Not a good idea to move internationally yet.  Even though many Americans are vaccinated, there are still millions that are not.  Even if Oceania sails soon, where would they go?  Not thinking it would be a relaxing cruise unless floating at sea is your thing. Perhaps, they should start slowly with cruises to nowhere.  I wouldn’t go. However, there are people who would go.  It would be a cautious start to cruising.  Up front, let guests know that they will not be stopping at ports.  

24 minutes ago, Redtravel said:

Perhaps, they should start slowly with cruises to nowhere.  I wouldn’t go. However, there are people who would go.  It would be a cautious start to cruising.  Up front, let guests know that they will not be stopping at ports.  

That sounds like what the UK is planning to do.  Unfortunately, cruises out of the US must have a port stop in a foreign port with passengers able to disembark or it would be a violation of federal law.  So cruises to nowhere are out as far as the US is concerned.  (Shame, because I could be tempted on the right cruise to nowhere. 🙁)

Edited by Daniel A

Still looking at 4th Qtr 21, October probably November at the earliest for some cruises to reasonably resume. Anything before then is a pipe dream.

For those wanting to sail earlier, the short cruises out of Israel may be your best option.

1 hour ago, Daniel A said:

That sounds like what the UK is planning to do.  Unfortunately, cruises out of the US must have a port stop in a foreign port with passengers able to disembark or it would be a violation of federal law.  So cruises to nowhere are out as far as the US is concerned.  (Shame, because I could be tempted on the right cruise to nowhere. 🙁)

I know you didn't specifically mention the PVSA but someone reading this might think that's what you're referring to.  In fact the "cruise to nowhere" issue in the US is not a PVSA problem as the PVSA interpretive rules (found here https://www.cbp.gov/sites/default/files/assets/documents/2019-Sep/PVSA-ICP.pdf ) specifically permit cruises to nowhere. The difficulty lies in a DHS ruling made a couple of years  ago that  required crew members to have a different type of visa that is difficult to obtain if a cruise originated in a US port but did not make any foreign port calls. They ruled that even if a cruise to nowhere entered international waters, which they normally do, without an actual port call the crew would be considered to be working solely in the USA  on that cruise, and therefore a different visa was needed.

1 hour ago, Redtravel said:

. Perhaps, they should start slowly with cruises to nowhere.  I wouldn’t go. However, there are people who would go.  It would be a cautious start to cruising.  Up front, let guests know that they will not be stopping at ports.  

IF there were cruises to nowhere    I would not be paying Oceania  prices  for  them

JMO

• Like 4

On 3/8/2021 at 6:53 PM, Daniel A said:

I am hoping that the wait listing of cruises is in anticipation of the potential for reduced capacity sailings.  🤞 

Don't count on it, Daniel A.  I've been through the waitlisting/cancellation game four times already.  Now looking at the fifth to come.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Daniel A said:

Actually the cruise lines have enough private islands that if they were allowed to sail then the PVSA would not be a problem, as those private islands are in near foreign ports and would satisfy a closed loop sailing(Miami-Miami, etc.) In essence they would have a lot of sea days, and a stop at one of these Islands, or even one of the countries in the Caribbean that would probably be happy to see a cruise ship along about now. From what I read a few months ago this is probably what you can expect at first once cruising does resume from the USA. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, ORV said:

Actually the cruise lines have enough private islands that if they were allowed to sail then the PVSA would not be a problem, as those private islands are in near foreign ports and would satisfy a closed loop sailing(Miami-Miami, etc.) In essence they would have a lot of sea days, and a stop at one of these Islands, or even one of the countries in the Caribbean that would probably be happy to see a cruise ship along about now. From what I read a few months ago this is probably what you can expect at first once cruising does resume from the USA. 

#1.  Then it wouldn't be a "Cruise to Nowhere."

#2.  Does Oceania have a private island?

#3.  The home countries that encompass the private islands would need to permit the resumption of cruising to one of their islands.

15 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

#1.  Then it wouldn't be a "Cruise to Nowhere."

#2.  Does Oceania have a private island?

#3.  The home countries that encompass the private islands would need to permit the resumption of cruising to one of their islands.

1 True, 2. Absolutely, they're part of NCL, I've been to private Island in the East & West Caribbean on Oceania, 3. I think options are open at certain ports in the Caribbean. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, LHT28 said:

IF there were cruises to nowhere    I would not be paying Oceania  prices  for  them

JMO

You are right.  Oceania prices are high. Oceania big attraction is the superb food and great ports.  Take away the ports, cruise is just a floating restaurant.  

• Like 1

On 3/10/2021 at 11:29 AM, Harters said:

My guess here is that the major issue with UK sailings from the summer onwards, will not be decisions of our government but those of the European governments of port destinations. For many, their vaccine rollout is relatively slow and certainly spreading into 2022. With minor exception, I cannot see a quick uplifting of travel restrictions this side of the establishment of the much talked about forge-proof international vaccine certificate.

I found a website today called travelbans.org-I tend to agree with you...unfortunately!

On 3/8/2021 at 6:53 PM, Daniel A said:

NCL just pulled all its June cruises from their website. Historically that has been the last step taken before formal cancellation. As a result I expect to see all three NCLH cruise lines to announce the cancellation of June itineraries on Monday.

• Like 1