Antarctica. Landing then hiking question.

kimanjo

As I understand it, if you take a zodiac for a wet landing, you will be wearing the rubber wet landing boots.  But if you go for a hike once on land, can you carry your hiking shoes/boots in your backpack and change into them, or wear the rubber boots on the hike? Are they OK to hike in? I usually wear waterproof hikers with some good support.  I'm trying to tell by looking at this picture. Experiences would be appreciated!

8211169f9f56fc450d005a8aa6674d93c4024897-1200x800.thumb.jpeg.6e1e392585f93061e4397032b19a8594.jpeg

Edited by kimanjo
addition

When we cruised in Greenland and the Canadian far north it was quite common to bring sturdy hiking shoes in your pack and change once on land. The expedition crew always had a place for us to stow the boots while we were off exploring. I didn't love walking long distances in the rubber boots, but others didn't mind. It all depends on your feet!

I do something very strange. I wear my hiking boots and slip on some thick plastic sleeves I purchased, just the right size to fit my boots and go a little higher than the knees, when exiting the zodiacs. I simply slip them off and fold them like a sheet of paper and place them into the back-pack.  Each pair of sleeves lasts for about three or four wet landings. I bring enough to last and give the extras for the crew to use when there is not enough boots for them.

5 hours ago, Stumblefoot said:

We’re big hikers here in the Rocky Mountains, and I couldn’t imagine dragging another pair of hiking boots with us to Antarctica.  The boots provided by the ship were more than sufficient for all the land and snow hikes.

We're bringing or wearing our  WP Merrells, so it's not an extra pair, it is the pair of traveling footwear.

1 hour ago, kimanjo said:

We're bringing or wearing our  WP Merrells, so it's not an extra pair, it is the pair of traveling footwear.

If that’s your plan, be sure your Merrill’s are completely clean of all organic material, including any loose threads or fabric fuzz, or you won’t be able to take them ashore.  

The expedition team is very, very strict.  We were thoroughly impressed with how thorough their inspection process was and how they protected the ecosystem.  100% compliance.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stumblefoot said:

If that’s your plan, be sure your Merrill’s are completely clean of all organic material, including any loose threads or fabric fuzz, or you won’t be able to take them ashore.  

The expedition team is very, very strict.  We were thoroughly impressed with how thorough their inspection process was and how they protected the ecosystem.  100% compliance.

Completely forgot about that.. Of course, that makes sense. Rubber boots it is.

Edited by kimanjo
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Stumblefoot said:

Yes indeed. We traveled with Hurtigruten and you had to wear the boots they provided and you walked through a sanitizing, electric brush (like a car wash) upon leaving and returning. We were also very impressed. They are protecting this unique part of the planet quite well.

• Like 1

Greetings, also trying to figure out whether to rent or buy boots upfront for an upcoming 2022 cruise - but to South Georgia rather than Antarctic.

Those who did rent boots from Silversea, did you get your shoe size recommendation (larger) or go up a size or more to accommodate thick socks? What if your regular shoe size falls in between two sizes - did you take the larger or one that might be smaller?

Size 8 here and they offer a (7.5 -8) or an (8.5-9) size boot. 

Thanks. Assume the larger would be the safer choice.

18 minutes ago, OlsSalt said:

Assume the larger would be the safer choice.

Your assumption is correct, at least in my case.  I’m a half-size wearer myself and went up in size.  With thick hiking socks (not thin alpine ski socks) it was a perfect fit.  Silver Queen’s rental boots didn’t fit well and SS had another brand that ran a bit smaller than their traditional boot line and that pair fit her perfectly.  It really seemed SS was as prepared as possible for all guests.

BTW... you’ll love South Georgia.  We were there in early January and the shear amount of baby seal pups was incredible.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 1 month later...

As some others have stated you will need to wear the insulated muck boots on the landings, which go up to your knees.  Some of the landings you are walking through mud, snow and penguin poop.They are difficult to to take off and on and when you get back on board you put the boots through a sort of car wash and they are sanitized because they will be full of penguin poop. They are stored in the area where you get ready to get off/on the ship so you don't take them back to your cabin. One pair of thick wool socks will keep your feet warm.  

• Thanks 1