Travel Insurance cruise cover.

majortom10

43 minutes ago, Pink-belle said:

i know I am covered if it takes a little time its a minor hindrance, nothing more, I will be on my holiday.😀

I know I'm covered too but that is not the point.

You say if it takes a little time it's a minor hinderance, it won't be when that "little time" is multiplied by the number of people in front of you and you need the loo. 😉

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MX-Drew said:

I know I'm covered too but that is not the point.

You say if it takes a little time it's a minor hinderance, it won't be when that "little time" is multiplied by the number of people in front of you and you need the loo. 😉

No, I know, which is why I hope the staff have some training, on what to expect and where to look.  I’m as prepared as I can be, and can do no more than that.

10 minutes ago, Pink-belle said:

No, I know, which is why I hope the staff have some training, on what to expect and where to look.  I’m as prepared as I can be, and can do no more than that.

Very true but my worry, and this is where the insurance companies can help, is people won't be so prepared as you but if we just had one sheet of paper with all the information on it then it should be much smoother.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Pink-belle said:

As I used Cover For You,I do have the 44 page policy document, additional pages about the Covid Cover, the genetic cover letter, printed from their site, saying they cover medical and repatriation on the Coastal cruises, and, oh, yes, the actual Insurance certificate to confirm DH and I actually bought the policy! 
I hope no one is caught behind me in the queue.

I am really hoping that the staff checking under go some training.  Companies like Staysure and Cover for you, are automatically covering covid and coastal cruises on police's bought after a certain date,  so they shouldn’t need to read the 50+ pages I present them with. Just check the policy is current and covers both of us.

i know I am covered if it takes a little time its a minor hindrance, nothing more, I will be on my holiday.😀

I'm taking exactly what you have printed out too,plus an email 

• Like 1

I am taking my Staysure travel certificate and endorsement letter from Staysure but only taking relevant section of main insurance booklet with reference to Covid and also section showing table of benefits of insurance. My Policy booklet is 52 pages long and I certainly am not going to print that lot off to take with me.

1 hour ago, majortom10 said:

I am taking my Staysure travel certificate and endorsement letter from Staysure but only taking relevant section of main insurance booklet with reference to Covid and also section showing table of benefits of insurance. My Policy booklet is 52 pages long and I certainly am not going to print that lot off to take with me.

Yes , Cover for you suggested just pages 5-7 were all that was needed .

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Pink-belle said:

That’s helpful thank you, I will go and read them and highlight key words.

Yes, I have highlighted lots of relevant info in bright yellow . Honestly ,if they can't see by all that ,that I'm covered ,then I give up.

On 6/1/2021 at 11:28 AM, Pink-belle said:

As I used Cover For You,I do have the 44 page policy document, additional pages about the Covid Cover, the genetic cover letter, printed from their site, saying they cover medical and repatriation on the Coastal cruises, and, oh, yes, the actual Insurance certificate to confirm DH and I actually bought the policy! 
I hope no one is caught behind me in the queue.

I am really hoping that the staff checking under go some training.  Companies like Staysure and Cover for you, are automatically covering covid and coastal cruises on police's bought after a certain date,  so they shouldn’t need to read the 50+ pages I present them with. Just check the policy is current and covers both of us.

Hi Pink-belle!

I've just got back from my MSC staycation cruise. We bought the Cover For You policy (bought an annual one as so far got 3 different staycation cruises booked plus a Med on in October if it goes ahead!).

I didn't print out the whole policy document, but did print my insurance certificate, the coastal cruises letter, the first bit of the FAQ section about the covid cover (where it says it is included as standard) and the chart showing the different levels of cover (we got gold) and how much you were covered for. I then got a highlighter pen, and basically highlighted anything that specifically mentioned Covid so they could see what they needed quickly. The woman checking our policy at the port was really happy, and said how much easier it was because we'd highlighted it. It probably took less than a minute for her to look at it and see if covered everything it needed to.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Pink-belle said:

Thanks Ladyshopper, good to see you here 😀, have you done a review anywhere? Did you have a great time?

Not really, as I didn't want to say the same thing as everyone else, which was that it was fantastic!!

I have done a write up on the Virtuosa staycation thread on here about the gluten freed food situation though, as I thought it might be helpful to others in the same situation. Am really hoping there is more flexibility with P&O and that we might be able to eat some food from the buffet and other places around the ship rather than being stuck with the main dining room (food was fantastic in there, we just missed the flexibility of being able to eat elsewhere, and meals took a long time!).

• Like 2

7th Cruise

People on a forum, can’t really give Insurance advice especially when it comes to suitability, as everyone is different.

we can only share our experiences, and the market is 3ver changing.

I booked UK coastal sailing as soon as they were released.  At that time I had an annual worldwide travel policy with Insure and Go.

I checked my policy to ensure it met the limits that P&O and Princess required.

However, there was a hitch.

on Insurance policies there are assumptions, as my holiday was technically in the UK, no foreign port of call, it was “assumed” that any medical requirement would be funded by the NHS, therefore medical costs were not included for these cruises.

so, at that time and confirmed to me by Insure and Go, my travel Insurance did not cover the Seacations bookings.

At that time, Cover for you and Staysure were both up to speed with the situation and with their underwriters addressed the situation and  are willing to provide an endorsement letter. I believe other companies may now do this.

So you need your insurer to confirm they will cover these non typical cruise holidays. 

1 hour ago, Ladyshopper23 said:

Not really, as I didn't want to say the same thing as everyone else, which was that it was fantastic!!

I have done a write up on the Virtuosa staycation thread on here about the gluten freed food situation though, as I thought it might be helpful to others in the same situation. Am really hoping there is more flexibility with P&O and that we might be able to eat some food from the buffet and other places around the ship rather than being stuck with the main dining room (food was fantastic in there, we just missed the flexibility of being able to eat elsewhere, and meals took a long time!).

Just went and read it, I think I would be a little disappointed to have that restriction.  It was a good balanced view, doable for 4 nights would become more of an issue on a longer cruise.  A little thing like switching out the minibar snacks for the gluten free ones would have been a good start, as you completed the medical form. 
I hope P&O do better.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Pink-belle said:

Just went and read it, I think I would be a little disappointed to have that restriction.  It was a good balanced view, doable for 4 nights would become more of an issue on a longer cruise.  A little thing like switching out the minibar snacks for the gluten free ones would have been a good start, as you completed the medical form. 
I hope P&O do better.

My wife is Gluten Free and she found P&O very helpful. She has had meetings along with others with restaurant staff to outline the process, GF meals are prepared separately, she was able to select evening meals and lunch the day before. There were gluten free options in the buffet, if missing the buffet bar staff only too happy to get fresh food. There was even a g/f version of Eric Lanlard cream tea on the Azura this time 2 years ago.

Ask the cabin steward he/she will get g/f biscuits for cabin. 

This really is a minefield.  I have just gone onto the Staysure website to get a quote, as from the sounds on this thread, they seem to be offering the appropriate cover, and under their travel eligibility statement fright on the first page it says ... '

• There is no cover for medical expenses within the United Kingdom including Jersey and the Isle of Man

On 6/3/2021 at 11:08 PM, Snow Hill said:

My wife is Gluten Free and she found P&O very helpful. She has had meetings along with others with restaurant staff to outline the process, GF meals are prepared separately, she was able to select evening meals and lunch the day before. There were gluten free options in the buffet, if missing the buffet bar staff only too happy to get fresh food. There was even a g/f version of Eric Lanlard cream tea on the Azura this time 2 years ago.

Ask the cabin steward he/she will get g/f biscuits for cabin. 

That's useful to know, thank you. It will be fantastic if we can eat from the buffet, really missed that flexibility on MSC.

1 hour ago, davemorton said:

This really is a minefield.  I have just gone onto the Staysure website to get a quote, as from the sounds on this thread, they seem to be offering the appropriate cover, and under their travel eligibility statement fright on the first page it says ... '

• There is no cover for medical expenses within the United Kingdom including Jersey and the Isle of Man

There was a lot of confusion about this over on the MSC thread initially. I didn't go with Staysure (went with Cover For You who make things very clear) but my understanding is that you are covered with Staysure, but you have to contact them after you've bought the policy to get an endorsement added for the staycation cruises to be covered (this is free). Seems a weird way of doing it, but there you go!

• Like 1

Just as a very minor thread  wander [IMHO] ....... does anybody bother to get *extra cruise cover* for their holidays? Just wondering for future cruises where things are/might be a bit "up in the air". Obviously, it depends on the coverage of the main policy but in general terms.

Thanks in advance.

2 hours ago, davemorton said:

I am insured with annual policy for Europe with Staysure and can confirm that they are covering cruises in UK waters Staycation /Seacation cruises with P&O/Princess/ Cunard but not sure if they are covering other cruise lines. If you are after a one off policy just for a UK waters cruise it might be worth ringing them and asking their advice and a quote. I booked as soon as UK water cruises went on sale with Princess  before anyone realised the insurance difficulties. I phoned Staysure with already having annual policy naturally thinking that I was covered. They told me my policy wouldnt cover the cruise but they were in negotiations with P&O/Cunard and their underwriters about cover and to ring back in a few days. I did and was told that they were now covering UK waters but did not realise that Princess was part of the same company i.e. Carnival and to ring again for confirmation. When I rang back they said it had ben confirmed with their underwriters to cover Princess as well and sent me an Endorsement Letter by e-mail saying I was covered for the cruise. The only thing I would make sure is that Staysure do 2 types of policy Basic and Comprehensive just make sure you have Comprehensive because Basic doesnt give you high enough monetary figures for medical repatriation that is required.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, ohnonotmeagain said:

Just as a very minor thread  wander [IMHO] ....... does anybody bother to get *extra cruise cover* for their holidays? Just wondering for future cruises where things are/might be a bit "up in the air". Obviously, it depends on the coverage of the main policy but in general terms.

Thanks in advance.

I have added cruise cover to my annual policy in the past, when the cost was not much more.  I accept that itineraries may change and I wouldn’t take a cruise to see just one port. However, if I was confined to cabin due to illness, was thinking norovirus at the time,  that the payout for that would go some way towards paying for a replacement holiday.  I wouldn’t ever think of it as an essential upgrade though.

Edited by Pink-belle
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ohnonotmeagain said:

Thanks in advance.

When we renewed our annual policy recently the extra cost wanted for "extra cruise cover" was nearly as much as the policy itself and we didnt think it was worth the extra cost so didnt bother.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1