Travel Insurance cruise cover.

majortom10

Important Travel Information | Nationwide - a Confirmation of Cover letter is available to download via  via the Travel Insurance Portal link on this website. Think it goes to the UK Insurance Ltd website, who are the underwriters.

I may have given wrong info on this page that UK Insurance Ltd are also the underwriters of HSBC. I have since seen this :

HSBC travel proof of cover - Aviva

Apologies for any confusion I have caused. 

3 hours ago, Scriv said:

Hi Mike.. sorry, I haven't as I am with Nationwide. I think you have to go onto their website or phone them to ask for the link. Sorry I can't be more helpful. This is what I read about HSBC

They’ve confirmed that the policy meets or exceeds the requirements for P&O.
If you have an account with them that qualifies, call them. They’ll send you a link to an on line form. Complete this and they’ll send you a certificate of insurance to show on departure. Simple and quick.

I had the same information when I went on to the Aviva website for travel proof.  What I actually received was a pdf download of the policy booklet I already have.  They then referred me back to M&S who act as a broker like other banks and are underwritten by Aviva.   The endorsement has to come from the broker ..in our case M&S.  I think Barclays .. Nationwide and HSBC use Aviva to underwrite their travel insurance.  

Edited by seapals2
Reply not showing

Notice a lot of the banks use aviva for the insurance cover really find it strange that you can't get aviva direct travel insurance with aviva , I had a policy with them and would let me carry on at double the price at renewal when all this started but didn't renew as I won't be cruising till 2022 fingers crossed 

17 hours ago, seapals2 said:

Nationwide's travel insurers are UK Insurance Limited, who also act on behalf of several other banks. The link on Nationwide's website goes to the UK Travel Insurance portal, where you can download a Confirmation of Cover letter specific to you and your policy number and upgrades/add ons etc. The letter is addressed to you and specifically mentions the UK cruises and amount required and also clarifies their Covid Cover. 

Edited by Scriv
  • Like 2

Having just managed to get the Confirmation of Cover letter for a Nationwide travel insurance, the process is to use the  Nationwide link, scroll down to the "Make a claim online" Section where there is a link to "UK Insurance Portal"

If you haven't already created an account on the portal you can do so using the Nationwide account details. Then under the "My Policy" tab select "Cover" - on this page there is a link for "Confirmation of Cover Document" which gives a personalised letter as confirmation of cover.

It has a section saying that it "will provide cover for emergency medical and repatriation costs up to £10,000,000 when you are travelling on a UK cruise that departs in 2021 (for a minimum of two nights)"

• Like 1

Natwest (also UK Insurance) have also updated their cover:-

UK Cruise

As a result of the Covid-19 pandemic some UK cruise providers now require travel insurance to provide at least £2,000,000 of cover for emergency medical and repatriation costs. In response to this change we are extending our limit for UK cruises departing in 2021. This policy will provide cover for emergency medical and repatriation costs up to £10,000,000 when you are travelling on a UK cruise that departs in 2021. The cruise duration must be for a minimum of 2 nights for cover to apply. You must ensure you meet all the conditions of carriage for your cruise provider.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, jmcd1969 said:

UK Cruise

As a result of the Covid-19 pandemic some UK cruise providers now require travel insurance to provide at least £2,000,000 of cover for emergency medical and repatriation costs. In response to this change we are extending our limit for UK cruises departing in 2021. This policy will provide cover for emergency medical and repatriation costs up to £10,000,000 when you are travelling on a UK cruise that departs in 2021. The cruise duration must be for a minimum of 2 nights for cover to apply. You must ensure you meet all the conditions of carriage for your cruise provider.

Thanks for this information jmcd. It's valuable to me as I'm with Natwest and when I called them last week they said they weren't covering UK cruises to the value that most cruise companies are demanding - they must have had a rethink. I'll call them again tomorrow to ask them about this change. Thanks again. Jane.x

• Like 1

After following this thread for a few weeks I finally phoned Nationwide this morning re- my Flexplus policy. I received an updated policy document in my new insurance Portal within the hour. This is an excerpt from it. 

-----------------------------------------------

Specific Requirements

As a result of the Covid-19 pandemic some UK cruise providers now require travel insurance to provide at least £2,000,000 of cover for emergency medical and repatriation costs. In response to this change we are extending our limit for UK cruises departing in 2021. This policy will provide cover for emergency medical and repatriation costs up to £10,000,000 when you are travelling on a UK cruise that departs in
2021. The cruise duration must be for a minimum of 2 nights for cover to apply. You must ensure you meet all the conditions of carriage for your cruise provider.

------------------------------------------------

Big relief and thankfully I can cruise in less than 3 weeks knowing we are covered if the need arises and also fulfil the cruise company's requirements. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Beckett said:

Thanks for this information jmcd. It's valuable to me as I'm with Natwest and when I called them last week they said they weren't covering UK cruises to the value that most cruise companies are demanding - they must have had a rethink. I'll call them again tomorrow to ask them about this change. Thanks again. Jane.x

If you log in to your membership benifits NatWest Membership Services and then select user benefit, you can click on a downloadable, personalized Confirmation of Cover document.

Should save a phone call 🙂

23 hours ago, AlanCruise said:

Having just managed to get the Confirmation of Cover letter for a Nationwide travel insurance, the process is to use the  Nationwide link, scroll down to the "Make a claim online" Section where there is a link to "UK Insurance Portal"

If you haven't already created an account on the portal you can do so using the Nationwide account details. Then under the "My Policy" tab select "Cover" - on this page there is a link for "Confirmation of Cover Document" which gives a personalised letter as confirmation of cover.

It has a section saying that it "will provide cover for emergency medical and repatriation costs up to £10,000,000 when you are travelling on a UK cruise that departs in 2021 (for a minimum of two nights)"

Thanks for writing that so clearly, Alan. 

On 5/6/2021 at 10:05 PM, jmcd1969 said:

UK Cruise

Thank you for this.  My RBS Platinum account has the same cover as NatWest. I located the personalised endorsement letter after logging into my account and using the travel benefit, clicking into "confirmation of cover" and downloading my personalised confirmation of cover document.   I've been checking this regularly and it appears to have only recently been done.

5 hours ago, Lynnewob said:

Thank you for this.  My RBS Platinum account has the same cover as NatWest. I located the personalised endorsement letter after logging into my account and using the travel benefit, clicking into "confirmation of cover" and downloading my personalised confirmation of cover document.   I've been checking this regularly and it appears to have only recently been done.

Yes,  it was earlier this week  - suddenly a lot of people from a variety of insurance companies were advised the cruises were being covered and were sent or directed to confirmation documents to download. 

Edited by Scriv
  • Like 1

On 5/6/2021 at 4:01 PM, AlanCruise said:

Thank you AlanCruise for this post. Have been watching this thread since booking a 4 night cruise and seeing the amount of confusion that has come from insurance companies. I am also with Nationwide and following your instructions was able to download and print a copy of the letter. Again thank you

• Like 1

I'm with the Co-Op Bank and have Axa travel insurance via their pay monthly Privilege account. Has anyone been able to get any confirmation of cover for them---nothing mentioned on the Banks website.

10 hours ago, daveoc said:

I'm with the Co-Op Bank and have Axa travel insurance via their pay monthly Privilege account. Has anyone been able to get any confirmation of cover for them---nothing mentioned on the Banks website.

See page 15 post 374

Had a phone call from Barclays bank travel pack. They have updated travel proof form to state they are fully covering uk cruises staycations. Previous one said 10million for overseas and 10k for uk. Didn't mention cruises. So if anyone has got previous travel proof form I would get the updated one which was changed yesterday.

• 2 weeks later...

I’m confused! It seems that travel insurance is mandatory and documents will be checked. I have also read that travelling to an amber country, although apparently allowed, will most likely invalidate my insurance (at the moment.)

So ... If my cruise includes an amber country, but I can’t go due to lack of insurance, who refunds my money?

10 minutes ago, Sootyjen said:

I’m confused! It seems that travel insurance is mandatory and documents will be checked. I have also read that travelling to an amber country, although apparently allowed, will most likely invalidate my insurance (at the moment.)

So ... If my cruise includes an amber country, but I can’t go due to lack of insurance, who refunds my money?

When you say refund your money, for what part, the cruise or insurance?

The probability is a cruise going to an amber country won't sail so the cruise company with refund or issue FCC, your choice. The insurance, so insurance companies will refund all or part.

• Like 1

Was thinking of the cruise money. Would imagine the cruise companies could, theoretically, still sail, but would they if many passengers were effectively uninsured. Might have a ring round on Monday. Don’t want to assume anything and then lose a few grand.

4 hours ago, Sootyjen said:

Was thinking of the cruise money. Would imagine the cruise companies could, theoretically, still sail, but would they if many passengers were effectively uninsured. Might have a ring round on Monday. Don’t want to assume anything and then lose a few grand.

I am pretty certain that no cruise companies that set sail from the UK would visit an Amber country (They would just change their itinerary ) but it may be a problem if you flew out to join a cruise that wasn't UK based

• Like 1

Just back of MSC Virtuosa from Southampton. The staff at the port did a detailed check of insurance before you were allowed to drop off luggage. They were specifically looking for Covid cover. If you did not have cover people were taken to another area to get confirmation from their insurers or to buy another policy. Maybe an indication for P&O too. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1