New to RC - a few questions!

Hello

We are looking into August 2022 Alaska on Serenade of the Seas. We are 2 adults and a will be 13 year old. 

We have previously only cruised with Disney, but even before the prices are out next week, I know they will be too much! 

I have done some research, but still have a few questions if I may please

- Soft drinks package. I understand its around $15pppd. Where can I get drinks from? Are there soda machines anywhere on the ship? Can I get a soft drink from the bar, and if so will a gratuity be added to my room account for being served a drink? Is it only fizzy soda that is available, or is water available too? 

- Is there anywhere on the ships to get hot drinks included ? Being British I do like a cup of tea before bed! 

- Anytime dining. Can we just turn up for dinner at any of the included restaurants at any time during the opening hours? Would we likely have to wait? If so, is it better to choose a set time?

- If we do choose a set time for dining, do we rotate round different restaurants, or is it just the main dining room? Do we sit with the same people at the same table each night?

- Solarium pool. I've read that it is for adults only (age 16+?). I've read somewhere that on the Alaska cruises they open the Solarium pool to children for certain times of the day. Could anyone confirm this please? 

- We are looking at a guaranteed ocean view room, as the price difference to choose our own is a fair amount. How far in advance do you find out your room assignment? 

- Do things like adding soda package, choosing what dining etc have to be done upon booking - can they be changed after? If we suddenly found a few £'s down the back of the sofa and decided we did want to choose our room after all, could we do this after booking a guaranteed room? 

- Is there anywhere on the RC website that list the excursions that can be booked? When do you pay for excursions - are they added to the room account? 

Thankyou very much for any help. I know I've asked a lot! 🙂 

10 minutes ago, mamamia2005 said:

Hello

We are looking into August 2022 Alaska on Serenade of the Seas. We are 2 adults and a will be 13 year old. 

We have previously only cruised with Disney, but even before the prices are out next week, I know they will be too much! 

I have done some research, but still have a few questions if I may please

- Soft drinks package. I understand its around $15pppd. Where can I get drinks from? Are there soda machines anywhere on the ship? Can I get a soft drink from the bar, and if so will a gratuity be added to my room account for being served a drink? Is it only fizzy soda that is available, or is water available too? 

- Is there anywhere on the ships to get hot drinks included ? Being British I do like a cup of tea before bed! 

- Anytime dining. Can we just turn up for dinner at any of the included restaurants at any time during the opening hours? Would we likely have to wait? If so, is it better to choose a set time?

- If we do choose a set time for dining, do we rotate round different restaurants, or is it just the main dining room? Do we sit with the same people at the same table each night?

- Solarium pool. I've read that it is for adults only (age 16+?). I've read somewhere that on the Alaska cruises they open the Solarium pool to children for certain times of the day. Could anyone confirm this please? 

- We are looking at a guaranteed ocean view room, as the price difference to choose our own is a fair amount. How far in advance do you find out your room assignment? 

- Do things like adding soda package, choosing what dining etc have to be done upon booking - can they be changed after? If we suddenly found a few £'s down the back of the sofa and decided we did want to choose our room after all, could we do this after booking a guaranteed room? 

- Is there anywhere on the RC website that list the excursions that can be booked? When do you pay for excursions - are they added to the room account? 

Thankyou very much for any help. I know I've asked a lot! 🙂 

- excursions are able to be booked on your cruise planner account that you can set up after you book your cruise.  they are paid at the time you book them.

- if you change your mind on booking a choose your own room vs guarantee you will pay the going rate the day you decide to upgrade

- room assignments can be given out at any time including not finding out until you arrive at the pier

- set time for dining is the same table, same dining room, same time every night.  All dining rooms are nearly identical and serve the exact same food

- there is only one of the dining rooms that is set aside for anytime dining and you must go there every night.  As above the dining rooms are identical and serve the same food

- hot tea and coffee are included and will be available in the windjammer buffet or the included cafe

- not sure if Serenade has the coke freestyle machines.  Soda with the package is available at any bar

• Like 1

There is a refreshment pkg where you get teas, water, soda, fresh squeezed OJ. It's running about $30 right now, but was 19.99 per day black friday sale. If you wanted more hot tea selections this might be for you.

Refreshment Package Offerings:
• Fountain soda and refills at any venue
• Coca-Cola Freestyle beverages
• Coca-Cola souvenir cup
• Non-alcoholic cocktails (mocktails)
• Bottled still and sparkling water
• Premium coffees and teas
• Fresh-squeezed juices

even if you choose anytime, you can still choose a particular time to dine or if you like a waiter ask for him nightly. Anytime dining you will be seated alone is my experience, instead of with others.

• Like 1

I don’t believe there’s drink machines on serenade,you will just go to a bar.

If you decide you want a drink package you can get it onboard.

Plenty of free coffee and tea onboard. If you ask your cabin attendant they should get you a kettle in your cabin.

Shore excursions,you should be able to google and get a idea.

Edited by Chiliburn
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

- not sure if Serenade has the coke freestyle machines.  Soda with the package is available at any bar

if I got soda from a bar with my soda package, would I have to pay a gratuity on it?

Thankyou for your reply.

If I got soda from a bar with my soda package, would I have to pay a gratuity on it?

You may get tea anytime at Cafe Promenade which is open about 23 hours daily.  Dinner is in the main dining rooms only. As noted above, one of the three dining rooms is set aside for "anytime" dining. If that is your choice, yes, you may have to wait, depending on how busy it is at the time you show up for dinner.  You may choose to change or cancel any reservations for excursions, etc. made before you board with no penalty. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

There is a refreshment pkg where you get teas, water, soda, fresh squeezed OJ. It's running about $30 right now, but was 19.99 per day black friday sale. If you wanted more hot tea selections this might be for you.

Refreshment Package Offerings:
• Fountain soda and refills at any venue
• Coca-Cola Freestyle beverages
• Coca-Cola souvenir cup
• Non-alcoholic cocktails (mocktails)
• Bottled still and sparkling water
• Premium coffees and teas
• Fresh-squeezed juices

even if you choose anytime, you can still choose a particular time to dine or if you like a waiter ask for him nightly. Anytime dining you will be seated alone is my experience, instead of with others.

Thankyou for the info on the drinks packages. Good to know they are sometimes on offer.

If I booked the soda package, but then the refreshment package was on offer, could I upgrade to that?

9 minutes ago, 39august said:

Dinner is in the main dining rooms only. 

I often eat dinner in the Windjammer buffet. They used to do a grilled steak to order, though not the best quality. Let's me gets as much or little as I want. Often the buffet will have similar items as in the dining rooms. The buffet also let's me get to the shows without rushing.

There are also some pay restaurants though idk which on your ship. Seems like chops is on most every ship I can remember. If I have anytime dining then I dont have a table of diners waiting on me if I skip the main dining rooms. 

Also breakfast and lunch is good in the Mdr if you arent in a rush.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, mamamia2005 said:

Thankyou for the info on the drinks packages. Good to know they are sometimes on offer.

If I booked the soda package, but then the refreshment package was on offer, could I upgrade to that?

Yes, you would cancel the soda and a refund will be issued and you can book the refreshment. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mamamia2005 said:

Being British I do like a cup of tea before bed! 

Being British I highly recommend you bring your own tea bags! 

There is usually plenty of choice as to the different teas available but I have yet to see PG Tips on any Royal Caribbean ship. 😉

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, 39august said:

You may get tea anytime at Cafe Promenade which is open about 23 hours daily. 

Serenade doesn’t have a promenade. 

@mamamia2005 when I was last on Serenade in 2019 there was always hot tea options in the Solarium Cafe early AM and late PM. There was a wide selection of London Tea Company bags available. I wouldn’t bother with a refreshment package for tea - and as Fiona mentioned you can bring your own bags.

The dining room and buffet were both excellent, and the specialty restaurants extra $$) were ok. 

I have been to Alaska on Serenade’s sister ship Radiance, and in 2017 children under 16 were allowed in the Solarium at certain times, advertised in the planner.

Ask as many questions as you like 😁

• Like 1

Thankyou both.

Yes I tend to travel everywhere abroad with my own teabags! 

Glad that children are allowed in the Solarium pool. Although its a shame I'm having to pay adult fare for my daughter but she won't be able to use the adult pool as and when! 

2 hours ago, mamamia2005 said:

Thankyou both.

Yes I tend to travel everywhere abroad with my own teabags! 

Glad that children are allowed in the Solarium pool. Although its a shame I'm having to pay adult fare for my daughter but she won't be able to use the adult pool as and when! 

? I cant attend the children's programs, so I shouldn't pay full fare? After all they have extra staff there for the children for their daily groups. Why should I pay for them if I have no children. .. just being silly but saying makes no sense to think a child is less work or takes less staff onboard than a adult.

3rd and 4th fare in cabins is reduced if you do have children with you.

Personally if children have their own activities why shouldn't one pool not have children all the time. Why do you object to children going to a different pool some of the time? Sorry, as a adult I'm glad of a little space on the ship. And i love kids. Just suspect that it's just not realizing how much the kids groups take up of staff and space behind your comment that your think one space for adults means your child should pay less. 

For tea bags seems like I've seen a lot of Lipton, Earl's gray maybe? I do coffee after dinner.

I just suggested the refreshment pkg because I like the mocktails and fresh squeezed juice. I'm not much of a soda drinker but love virgin bloody marys. You mentioned water and soda. Rather than buy 2 separate pkgs that one has both. 

Bring on the cruises, so ready.

18 hours ago, 39august said:

You may get tea anytime at Cafe Promenade which is open about 23 hours daily.  Dinner is in the main dining rooms only. As noted above, one of the three dining rooms is set aside for "anytime" dining. If that is your choice, yes, you may have to wait, depending on how busy it is at the time you show up for dinner.  You may choose to change or cancel any reservations for excursions, etc. made before you board with no penalty. 

Serenade does not have a Royal Promenade or a Cafe Promenade.  It has a Cafe Lattetudes that is not open as long as Cafe Promenade is does not offer free tea anytime but would have tea available with a refreshment package.  It was Tazo last time we sailed Serenade in 2019.

There is only one dining room on Serenade.  Typically my time dining is on one deck and traditional on the other but they will send people in my time to the traditional area if they need tables.  The Windjammer is also open for dinner as it is on other ships.  I would definitely recommend reservations for my time dining on this class of ship as they do not deal with walk in very well in our experience. 

• Like 1

You can get ice water from ANY bar or eating venue, whenever you want.  No charge for water.  Coffee, tea (iced or hot), milk, OJ at breakfast are included in your fare and are available in the WJ buffet or other restaurants.

If you BUY a soda without a package, you get a can.  If you have a package, you get fountain soda.

Traditional dining, you are likely to be seated with others..and that will be YOUR table for the duration. You will have a set time.

My Time Dining, you will be seated with only your party. You can make reservations for the time you'll show, or simple wait for the next avail.table.