Jump to content

Who has decided to take a summer staycation cruise?


Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, Ladyshopper23 said:

Well, after answering numerous queries from customers this week assuring them that they had continued to only book 1000 passengers per cruise until the restrictions were actually lifted, MSC have just sent this out:

 

Here' the latest from MSC

MSC CRUISES OFFERS GUESTS IMPACTED BY CONTINUING CRUISE CAPACITY RESTRICTIONS FOR MSC VIRTUOSA SAILINGS IN THE UK ALTERNATIVE BOOKING OPTIONS

Sailings to visit some of the UK’s favourite destinations to remain limited to 1,000 guests onboard until 19 July

London, UK - 16 June 2021 – MSC Cruises is disappointed that it has been necessary for the Government to delay the planned easing of COVID restrictions in England and maintain the current capacity restrictions on certain indoor venues, which limit our cruise ship to operating with a maximum of 1,000 guests onboard at any given time. This comes following the position announced last week by the Scottish Government that cruise calls in Scotland are only recommended to begin once all areas are designated as Level 1 of its COVID restrictions.

Like all of the UK, the Company had fully expected that most restrictions would be removed from 21 June onwards and so was ready to host more than 1,000 guests on its flagship, MSC Virtuosa, under the safety of its industry leading health and safety protocol, which includes repeated universal testing at embarkation and during cruises.

However, as this capacity restriction is expected to continue to apply until 19 July, MSC Cruises regrets that a number of UK guests who have booked a cruise departing after 21 June but before 19 July may need to be assisted to rebook on a sailing departing after the restriction is removed. Whilst still seeking further clarifications from the relevant authorities and continuing to monitor for developments, the Company will initially begin by contacting those affected guests due to embark between 23 June and 26 June.

MSC Cruises has adopted a fair criterion based on the earlier date of booking so that the first 1,000 guests will maintain their bookings, and it can be assured that guests booked on sailings prior to the 21 June are unaffected entirely. In addition to a variety of rebooking options, guests will be offered the option of a refund. More details will be available shortly on msccruises.co.uk and through the MSC Cruises’ contact centre or its travel agent partners.

MSC Cruises looks forward to the eventual easing of COVID restrictions in the UK so cruising can play a bigger role in the vital restart of British tourism and its contribution to the economy, and it can offer more UK residents that safe and richly deserved holiday option this summer.

-ENDS-

Begs the question, have P&O and indeed the other cruise lines due to start soon done the same? I really hope not.

Not sure if they are correct to say all of the U.K. fully expected most restrictions to go on 21st June. For one thing, the 21st June date was England only, and many people, based on the data, have been expecting restrictions to continue.

 

However, the cruise companies no doubt wanted to get as much money in as possible, so hoped for the best.

 

time will tell if people get bumped from P&O cruises, but this is all part of cruising in the Covid era. Expect the unexpected. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Pink-belle said:

Oh My Lady Shopper, have you another cruise booked with MSC that is affected? 

 

I think their message has an odd tone, it was never definite, but certainly hoped for, that restrictions would be eased or lifted with effect from the 21st June.  However, I think most people would have realised 3 or so weeks ago that was very unlikely to happen. 
 

in my experience all cruise lines overbook, just like airlines to cover the last minute cancellations and no shows.  Previously, this has resulted in Move over offers rather than a sorry, last in first off,  type approach.  But I guess terms and conditions have changed so much over the last year we don’t really know what will happen. 
 

Thank you for sharing here, I guess we now wait and see…..

No I don't luckily! Next cruise is P&O on 22nd July, supposedly after the restrictions are lifted but who knows.

I actually think it is pretty shoddy by MSC. First of all they've assumed that Scotland would change their mind and let cruise ships dock, and have planned in port stops and people embarking there only to be told that they're not allowed.

Now it turns out they've made the assumption that the restrictions would be lifted on 21st June, when it was pretty clear they wouldn't be. And not only that, people have been contacting them over the last few days, obviously worried, and they've been sending out responses saying that they have only booked up to 1000 passengers and were going to continue doing that until the restrictions were actually lifted. Clearly not true.

I feel so sorry for anyone who has booked fairly late and ends up being cancelled.

I guess time will tell with the approach P&O have made to bookings if they send out something similar.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Ladyshopper23 said:

No I don't luckily! Next cruise is P&O on 22nd July, supposedly after the restrictions are lifted but who knows.

I actually think it is pretty shoddy by MSC. First of all they've assumed that Scotland would change their mind and let cruise ships dock, and have planned in port stops and people embarking there only to be told that they're not allowed.

Now it turns out they've made the assumption that the restrictions would be lifted on 21st June, when it was pretty clear they wouldn't be. And not only that, people have been contacting them over the last few days, obviously worried, and they've been sending out responses saying that they have only booked up to 1000 passengers and were going to continue doing that until the restrictions were actually lifted. Clearly not true.

I feel so sorry for anyone who has booked fairly late and ends up being cancelled.

I guess time will tell with the approach P&O have made to bookings if they send out something similar.

Shoddy is a very good word to use 😀

 

I’m sure P&O will have over booked.  Hopefully not excessively just within their normal margins.  
 

hopefully all of us here will be okay with our bookings.  That said if they want to offer me a suite to sail at a later date, instead of my balcony in 11 days, I might say Yes 😏

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Pink-belle said:

Shoddy is a very good word to use 😀

 

I’m sure P&O will have over booked.  Hopefully not excessively just within their normal margins.  
 

hopefully all of us here will be okay with our bookings.  That said if they want to offer me a suite to sail at a later date, instead of my balcony in 11 days, I might say Yes 😏

Ha ha ha, me too!

 

Edited by Ladyshopper23
Incorrect info removed
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Ladyshopper23 said:

I guess time will tell with the approach P&O have made to bookings if they send out something similar.

 

We are booked on the 18th July cruise with P&O, which is now sold out.  Anticipating cabin allocation in the coming days, so that will start to give a clue.  As we booked on a heavily discounted fare, we would anticipate being one of the first to be asked to move cruise, if P&O have over booked.

 

Could be an interesting cruise for us, as at midnight on the 18th, England may come out of the extended restrictions we have to live under currently.  Could be a very good atmosphere at midnight if that's the case.

Edited by jaydee6969
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/13/2021 at 9:09 AM, lindylooellalouise said:

I’ll be doing exactly the same as you a week later and so looking forward to it 🤗I’ve just checked in this morning but on mine it says cabin to be allocated when onboard 👍

Got our cabin allocation yesterday, was very relieved to see an allocation. Also just had our travel agent on the phone checking we had all the correct paperwork etc and what to expect at port, full lateral flow test, thought it might just be temperature check.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, littlemisshoney said:

Got our cabin allocation yesterday, was very relieved to see an allocation. Also just had our travel agent on the phone checking we had all the correct paperwork etc and what to expect at port, full lateral flow test, thought it might just be temperature check.

That’s good service from your TA, when do you sail ? have you not received the information from P&O?  I posted a link to it all earlier in the thread, but as we know we live in an ever changing world, so I guess it’s only sent when it’s still relevant, an interesting read though.  Seems well organised, for now anyway 😊

Link to post
Share on other sites

We  sail 1st July. Have had emails almost every day from P and O, guess travel agent was just checking in with us, fortunately we seem to have everything in order. Getting excited! Will try and find your earlier info but I guess we have most of the info now. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, littlemisshoney said:

Got our cabin allocation yesterday, was very relieved to see an allocation. Also just had our travel agent on the phone checking we had all the correct paperwork etc and what to expect at port, full lateral flow test, thought it might just be temperature check.

Excellent news still waiting for ours to be allocated ☹️Starting to get excited and a bit nervous really hoping the first cruises go ahead without any problems and looking forward to reading the posts🤗Our cruise departs 4th july

Edited by lindylooellalouise
Added
Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, littlemisshoney said:

We  sail 1st July. Have had emails almost every day from P and O, guess travel agent was just checking in with us, fortunately we seem to have everything in order. Getting excited! Will try and find your earlier info but I guess we have most of the info now. 

https://www.pocruises.com/cruise-with-confidence/preparing-to-sail
 

I wondered if you hadn’t received it as you said you expected it to just be a temperature check.

I don’t imagine you are driving from Scotland so don’t expect the CPS bit will be relevant. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

It's all a bit of a rollercoaster isn't it?

 

We're on the 1st July Britannia sailing, and having spoken directly to P&O yesterday they've reassured me that we'll be onboard without any issues - or impact to onboard experiences. I'll reserve judgement until I'm onboard with a G&T in hand.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Was hoping to go on the 15th July but all inside cabins sold out last night 😞

Have our names down on the waiting list for any cancellations but not holding out much hope.🤞 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I just read on a FB group someone  has had their cruise for the 27th June cancelled due to being over capacity.  Allegedly by email from P&O.  Disappointed if that is the case.  I am on this cruise and they were selling limited room types. 
anyone seen any official news?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Pink-belle said:

I just read on a FB group someone  has had their cruise for the 27th June cancelled due to being over capacity.  Allegedly by email from P&O.  Disappointed if that is the case.  I am on this cruise and they were selling limited room types. 
anyone seen any official news?

You beat me to it, was just coming on to report this. I put it on the other forum first!

 

Very sad news for that person and anyone else effected.

So it begins.......

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just had an email from P&O telling me that my booking has been cancelled due to the government's extension of the passenger capacity limits.

We were booked on Britannia for July 4th (B113Q)

Got to try to cancel travel insurance and car parking now🤬

Wonder how many others will get bumped off?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Dave K said:

Just had an email from P&O telling me that my booking has been cancelled due to the government's extension of the passenger capacity limits.

We were booked on Britannia for July 4th (B113Q)

Got to try to cancel travel insurance and car parking now🤬

Wonder how many others will get bumped off?

Ouch.  If you can't get your travel insurance and parking refunded from the providers, you may be able to get your out of pocket expenses refunded by P&O.  We've done that in the past with hotels and independant shore excursions.

Edited by Son of Anarchy
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Dave K said:

Just had an email from P&O telling me that my booking has been cancelled due to the government's extension of the passenger capacity limits.

We were booked on Britannia for July 4th (B113Q)

Got to try to cancel travel insurance and car parking now🤬

Wonder how many others will get bumped off?

Dave so sorry this has happened to you.  Have they given you any options at all, moving to a later date or additional FCC?

 

I feel foolish, they must have really oversold if not doing their usual move over process😢

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Pink-belle said:

Dave so sorry this has happened to you.  Have they given you any options at all, moving to a later date or additional FCC?

 

I feel foolish, they must have really oversold if not doing their usual move over process😢

They have offered a full refund or 125% FCC.

Think i'll  go for a refund.

Edited by Dave K
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Dave K said:

They have offered a full refund or 125% FCC.

Think i'll  go for a refund.

Hopefully there will be no repetition of last year's refund fiasco.  Hope your get your refund promptly.

Edited by Son of Anarchy
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Dave K said:

They have offered a full refund or 125% FCC.

Think i'll  go for a refund.

I’m glad they offered some form of compensation,  I get it is entirely up to you but if it was an option it might be easier to amend parking and Insurance rather than get refunds. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Dave K said:

Just had an email from P&O telling me that my booking has been cancelled due to the government's extension of the passenger capacity limits.

We were booked on Britannia for July 4th (B113Q)

Got to try to cancel travel insurance and car parking now🤬

Wonder how many others will get bumped off?

Hi me too booked on same cruise so disappointing wondered why we hadn’t been allocated☹️

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: American Queen Steamboat Company - Celebrate Your Freedom
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com - June 2021
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...