AmaWaterways still plans to sail in May

Host Jazzbeau

It does not say so explicitly - which if I am correct I find a bit sloppy as regards reporting - but the article may refer to the river cruises in Germany with the German operator. They start in May and are marketed to German-speaking countries only. Which does not automatically mean that you cannot book them from somewhere else - I do not know about such logistics.

Whichever cruise AmaWaterways means, they are still hopeful then, nice to know. I think it is feasible, although lock down rules now apply till 18 April in Germany.

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid
Clarification
  • Like 1

Their travel advisory as of March 16.

APPLICABLE FOR SAILINGS THROUGH MAY 31, 2021*

We are continuously monitoring the updates from global health authorities and local governments in the U.S. and around the world with regards to the ongoing situation. At this time, we have extended suspensions for river cruise sailings embarking through May 31, 2021.*

They are probably talking about the German cruises...after all they advertise that

"WE ARE THE ONLY U.S. BASED RIVER CRUISE COMPANY WITH SUCCESSFUL OPERATING EXPERIENCE IN 2020."

This was taken directly from one of my many emails they send me...no matter how many times I try to unsubscribe.  I feel that it is a bit pushing the envelope in false advertising, as they only ran one or two cruises if I remember correctly, then everyone was shut down again..... but I guess since they didn't have any covid related problems, they can say that.

• Like 1

The river cruises for AmaWaterways in Germany were (according to the German operator) very successful, ran for around two months (would have to calculate the exact time frame) and according to the booking website had 1,500 passengers. That would make it at least eleven cruises due to the reduced capacity that was allowed.

notamermaid

• Like 1

We have the perfect person in our midst. I take the liberty of politely virtually knocking on @steamboats door, wondering if she has time to tell us about it or link us the pages from the German website cruisetricks.de

Meanwhile, I have spoken to a sales assistant of the German operator. He said that while the American river cruises are not running, theirs are still good to go in May. They even only ask for full payment 21 days before your cruise. Sounds really good. Need to see what is in the kitty. I wonder if AmaWaterways might invite me onto the AmaSiena to report... 😉

notamermaid

• Like 2

10 hours ago, notamermaid said:

We have the perfect person in our midst. I take the liberty of politely virtually knocking on @steamboats door, wondering if she has time to tell us about it or link us the pages from the German website cruisetricks.de

Meanwhile, I have spoken to a sales assistant of the German operator. He said that while the American river cruises are not running, theirs are still good to go in May. They even only ask for full payment 21 days before your cruise. Sounds really good. Need to see what is in the kitty. I wonder if AmaWaterways might invite me onto the AmaSiena to report... 😉

notamermaid

I think that would be a great marketing move on their part.

17 hours ago, mj_holiday said:

It would be really interesting if some (or just one) of the passengers on one of the river cruise would write a posting about the cruise and some of the new practices (if any) were a part of the cruise.

I wrote an extense review of my cruise on AmaKristina last year. The review is in German (but use google translate). Anyway, this does not mean a thing for the regular cruises offered on the English speaking market. The German AmaWaterways cruises are offering less service and amenities than the English AmaWaterways cruises. The price is way lower and we don´t have any included tours. This year it looks like WiFi is not available. Bar menu is more limited, dining menus are limited too (and adjusted to the German taste). So it´s nothing you can really compare.

Of course there are new rules like temperature check every morning when you enter the restaurant for breakfast (and of course you have to desinfect your hands). Currently there aren´t any kind of buffets. No cooking demonstrations, no singing just piano player. Wearing a mask as soon as you leave your cabin until you sit down in the lounge/restaurant. Limited use of the fitness room. No spa treatments.

steamboats

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you Steamboats. I will look for your review. Your comments were interesting about the health practices during your river cruise.  With no included excursions, could passengers go where they wanted at the different towns?  I guess the main question would be, did anyone on the cruise get COVID, even a week or so after the cruise?  

5 hours ago, mj_holiday said:

Thank you Steamboats. I will look for your review. Your comments were interesting about the health practices during your river cruise.  With no included excursions, could passengers go where they wanted at the different towns?  I guess the main question would be, did anyone on the cruise get COVID, even a week or so after the cruise?  

Yes, we were allowed to go out on our own. There were tours available and we did book one (bike tour in Strasbourg). We also did join the Wellness Host for his walking tours.

Througout the cruise nobody got sick. A friend of mine did stay another 5 days. Nothing their either. It´s hard to say when someone gets it within a week after the cruise whether he caught it throughout the cruise or maybe later on the way back home (train ride... whatever). So infections which are discovered after the cruise are not known or recorded in any way.

steamboats

On 3/27/2021 at 9:22 AM, NMTraveller said:

We have an August cruise.  Still waiting to see who they will allow and what the requirements are.

We too have an Ama cruise, two actually back to back, in France this coming August. I'm not feeling overly opptomistic but we'll see how the situation changes. 

On 3/29/2021 at 4:18 PM, Wings55 said:

We too have an Ama cruise, two actually back to back, in France this coming August. I'm not feeling overly opptomistic but we'll see how the situation changes. 

Good morning, what date in August and what ship if I may ask?

• 2 weeks later...

My travel mate just received a call to say that our September 1, 2021 AmaDouro cruise has been canceled. I haven't received a call yet, but we are meeting via Zoom on Sunday to plan 2022. Disappointing but expected.

Allyson

54 minutes ago, aldukenew said:

My travel mate just received a call to say that our September 1, 2021 AmaDouro cruise has been canceled. I haven't received a call yet, but we are meeting via Zoom on Sunday to plan 2022. Disappointing but expected.

Allyson

Interesting. I wonder if they are cancelling all cruises or if it is your specific sailing/destination. 

Even though it is expected, it can still be disappointing.

15 hours ago, Coral said:

Interesting. I wonder if they are cancelling all cruises or if it is your specific sailing/destination. 

Even though it is expected, it can still be disappointing.

AmaWaterways posted on Thursday that cruises were suspended through June 30th, 2021, June 15th, 2021 for Portugal.

https://www.amawaterways.com/travel-updates

We are booked on the AmaBella on the Danube in October 2021.

We also are holding our breath about a Grand Danube cruise on the AMA Verde starting on Aug. 1 from VILSHOFEN, but actually starting in Prague.  Anyone have a guess if this cruise will operate?  According to my TA AMA will sail, at least at the moment.  No flight arrangements have been made.   Final payment is May 4 but I am going to see if this can be extended for at least one month to see how things are shaking out in Europe.

Thanks, Bill

Apparently, our September AmaDouro cruise is not canceled afterall. The person who call my travel mate called the wrong passenger. It is still on, as of now. But we are going to move it to next year anyway, most likely.

As of today, the AmaWaterways cruises in May have disappeared from the German operator website.

The first one that is bookable now is the AmaSiena cruise leaving from Cologne on 1 June.

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 4/3/2021 at 9:04 AM, Lois R said:

Good morning, what date in August and what ship if I may ask?

Lois I apologize for my late response. We are booked on the AmaDante sailing from Paris on August 19th followed but a week on the AmaKristina sailing 8/26 from Lyon. Any chance you'll be joining us??

Paul

1 hour ago, Wings55 said:

Lois I apologize for my late response. We are booked on the AmaDante sailing from Paris on August 19th followed but a week on the AmaKristina sailing 8/26 from Lyon. Any chance you'll be joining us??

Paul

Hi Paul, no worries.........nope, I am actually sailing out of Greece for 10 nights in July and have a cruise booked for October out of Lisbon so going to Europe again in August would be a bit over the top😉

I hope you have a wonderful b2b though!!!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...