Please, just require passengers to be vaccinated so we can get back to sea.

djjoe

7 hours ago, Shorewalk Holmes said:

Yeah, the issue is relevant for interpreting the data properly, but I guess there was no point in my phrasing it as a question.  How would you know the answer unless your source described the method in detail, or you were the data aggregator yourself.

Just give it up.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, broberts said:

Not sure why you feel the need to judge me. 

I reject your assesment. The COVID denier mantra that anyone concerned about infections must be paranoid is getting tiresome. It denies that 570,000 Americans have died with the disease and presumes no one is at risk.

Cruising will open when it is judged safe by those qualified and employed to make such judgements. Peanut gallery opinions of safety are meaningless.

Every life is valuable, and every death is indeed sad.....that being said, the death rate of 'the world is ending' pandemic in the U.S. is .174% (17 in 10,000).  

Edited by bucfan2
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, bucfan2 said:

Every life is valuable, and every death is indeed sad.....that being said, the death rate of 'the world is ending' pandemic in the U.S. is .174% (17 in 10,000).  

Don't lose all perspective. Only the covid deniers claim it is a world ending pandemic. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, broberts said:

Don't lose all perspective. Only the covid deniers claim it is a world ending pandemic. 

Understand ya.  And not trying to argue w/ anyone one way or the other....just pointing out it's not a bad idea to take a breather from all fear stuff and keep it in perspective.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, bucfan2 said:

Understand ya.  And not trying to argue w/ anyone one way or the other....just pointing out it's not a bad idea to take a breather from all fear stuff and keep it in perspective.

Part of that perspective is that this is an invisible and highly contagious virus. It’s different from other risks that we can manage, such as looking both ways before crossing the street, wearing seat belts, reading warning labels, avoiding dangerous activities, and so on. Yes we all die someday from something but hopefully not from an invisible contagion that is difficult to control. That’s what makes this situation different.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Pratique said:

Part of that perspective is that this is an invisible and highly contagious virus. It’s different from other risks that we can manage, such as looking both ways before crossing the street, wearing seat belts, reading warning labels, avoiding dangerous activities, and so on. Yes we all die someday from something but hopefully not from an invisible contagion that is difficult to control. That’s what makes this situation different.

No matter what you or I say, there's no escaping the fact that Covid kills VERY VERY few people, statistically (raw numbers are misleading if not seen in light of total cases). I don't care if people say it's dangerous or it's not dangerous. If you believe the statistics put out by Johns Hopkins and others, you can see that 97% of people have nothing to worry about. And when you separate out people who are under 65 and have no co-morbidities (ie like me), the survival rate is over 99%. That's not an opinion, that's a FACT. Period. The scaremongers would have you believe that Covid is so bad, any restrictive measures on society are worth it. Bull****.

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

No matter what you or I say, there's no escaping the fact that Covid kills VERY VERY few people, statistically (raw numbers are misleading if not seen in light of total cases). I don't care if people say it's dangerous or it's not dangerous. If you believe the statistics put out by Johns Hopkins and others, you can see that 97% of people have nothing to worry about. And when you separate out people who are under 65 and have no co-morbidities (ie like me), the survival rate is over 99%. That's not an opinion, that's a FACT. Period. The scaremongers would have you believe that Covid is so bad, any restrictive measures on society are worth it. Bull****.

So says the arbiter of truth, who spends so much time being a referee of acceptable post content and reprimanding others for their purportedly insulting posts.  If the shoe fits...

41 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

Try making that pitch to the population at large.

We have banned smoking in most public places even though the death rate from secondhand smoke is very low. It was better than trying to partition our activities among the risk-takers and the non-risk takers, even though cigarette smoke is visible and oftentimes avoidable. Yet we are unwilling to ban unvaccinated people for a disease that is more deadly than secondhand smoke. So while I hear what you are saying I don't think your argument will fly with enough people to make a difference in the near term. Maybe when we get to herd immunity.

1 minute ago, Pratique said:

Try making that pitch to the population at large.

We have banned smoking in most public places even though the death rate from secondhand smoke is very low. It was better than trying to partition our activities among the risk-takers and the non-risk takers, even though cigarette smoke is visible and oftentimes avoidable. Yet we are unwilling to ban unvaccinated people for a disease that is more deadly than secondhand smoke. So while I hear what you are saying I don't think your argument will fly with enough people to make a difference in the near term. Maybe when we get to herd immunity.

Oh, I'm sorry, I should have made this clear before: 99.9% of what I post on Cruise Critic is what I think and that's it. I never pretend that people are going to agree with me, or even listen to me. I'm not out to convince you or anyone else. In short, I don't really care if my argument flies with others, that isn't my goal. I will not submit to ridiculous and capricious rules that are not logical or based in science. Never.

If I go to jail, so be it. It's no one's business but mine.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

If I go to jail, so be it. It's no one's business but mine.

Last year I saw a few interviews with people who said that they didn't care if they got sick or died from Covid. I was never sure if they were just saying dumb things for the camera or if they really meant it. Do you really not care about going to jail? Or are you just saying stuff to get a rise out of people? Genuinely curious.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

No matter what you or I say, there's no escaping the fact that Covid kills VERY VERY few people, statistically (raw numbers are misleading if not seen in light of total cases). 

"VERY VERY few?"

Try 3,140,000.  Over 3 MILLION.   Sorry, but your interpretation of statistics isn't mine.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, yogimax said:

"VERY VERY few?"

Try 3,140,000.  Over 3 MILLION.   Sorry, but your interpretation of statistics isn't mine.

This reminds me of the Seinfeld episode "The Andrea Doria" where George learns that "only" 51 people died and wondered out loud about how many people usually die on a cruise.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, yogimax said:

"VERY VERY few?"

And that's out of how many cases, total. Go ahead, look it up, I'll wait.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Pratique said:

Last year I saw a few interviews with people who said that they didn't care if they got sick or died from Covid. I was never sure if they were just saying dumb things for the camera or if they really meant it. Do you really not care about going to jail? Or are you just saying stuff to get a rise out of people? Genuinely curious.

How can I put this politely? What I do is none of your business. Thanks for respecting my privacy.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, harkinmr said:

You know what?  We people who comply with the mask rules are sick of dealing with people like you who don't comply with them and walk around with a look of smugness and disdain on your faces.  The only people who have been hurt or killed are people who have challenged maskless people who have become belligerent or violent.  

Got some really bad news for folks like you.  If there is a mask requirement for cruising, and there likely will be for some time to come, you will not be able to stomp around shouting about your personal freedom and liberty.  Won't be tolerated and you'll find yourself dumped at the next available port.  So I guess you'll be doing something other than cruising for a while.

Doubt it.  I'll do just like airlines.  I wear it until takeoff.  Take it off until beverages are served.  Milk out 2 or 3 drinks and a couple snacks and a couple cups of ice and the flight is almost over.  Barely wear it all.  Lady sat beside me on my last flight and said if you want to take your mask off, fine with me.  She said it's a scam.  I said you are right.  Had nice conversation.  There's always ways around the system. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Just now, Sky616 said:

Doubt it.  I'll do just like airlines.  I wear it until takeoff.  Take it off until beverages are served.  Milk out 2 or 3 drinks and a couple snacks and a couple cups of ice and the flight is almost over.  Barely wear it all.  Lady sat beside me on my last flight and said if you want to take your mask off, fine with me.  She said it's a scam.  I said you are right.  Had nice conversation.  There's always ways around the system. 

Exactly. Somebody, I forget who it was, had the temerity to slam me because I mentioned that I ate and drank on a domestic flight last year (God forbid). "You could have killed someone" or some such nonsense was the refrain. What complete and utter BS. I pity the perpetually ignorant and afraid, but it's not my role to change them.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Sky616 said:

Lady sat beside me on my last flight and said if you want to take your mask off, fine with me.  She said it's a scam.  

If a random lady sitting next to you on a plane says it’s a scam, it must be a scam. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, TheMastodon said:

Just give it up.  

Good point.  Why am I saving your argument about masks?

This graph plainly shows that during the height of the pandemic, from January to late March, mask mandate states had fewer cases than no-mandate states! 

No need for statistics 🙂.  Mask mandates work!  The mask debate is settled! 

18 hours ago, TheMastodon said:

Sure have!!

CBF8F074-96D7-44CD-B1D2-5ECBC7E8A5EF.thumb.jpeg.348000cb5668709d5d76ace4bb2e6b08.jpeg

Edited by Shorewalk Holmes
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Sky616 said:

I call BS on this one.  My husband flies every week for work, on various airlines, and I am certain that your behavior would not be tolerated.  Repeated announcements about what the rules are (masks stay on except when eating or drinking for "brief" periods of time) and constant supervision of passenger compliance. 

I look forward to hearing stories about people like you being restrained to their cabin and/or dumped at the next port for repeated violation of the ship rules on masks and other health protocols.  It is folks like you that will doom any restart here in the US.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1