Melbourne pre cruise princess hotel package

7SeasLover

We booked our Australia/New Zealand cruise today. We are considering the princess pre cruise hotel package. Any opinions on this? What did the package cost? I also have the option of using Hilton Honors points or a timeshare. 

1 hour ago, 7SeasLover said:

We booked our Australia/New Zealand cruise today. We are considering the princess pre cruise hotel package. Any opinions on this? What did the package cost? I also have the option of using Hilton Honors points or a timeshare. 

My comments are in general, not specific to your cruise.

a) Note that the price will be per person, not for two people.

b) Princess price will include transportation to the hotel and from the hotel to the ship.

c) Usually one can book the hotel for significantly less money, nut that will not include the transportation that Princess includes

d) If you are staying at the hotel extra days, the extra per day cost will be lower than in the initial package.

We have used a Princess pre-cruise package when going to a city we have never been to where English is not the local language. We have not used it otherwise.

If I had hotel points or timeshare points, I would use them. Sydney hotel prices are (to me) relatively expensive.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 7SeasLover said:

I would use the points for hotel and take a taxi to ship. 

In normal times I would also use points and just take taxis. But, these are not normal times. Whatever the Princess price it can't beat free points. Princess does select nice high end hotels.

You can find some pre-covid information in the below site. The Stamford Plaza mentioned by Princess has currently suspended all operations.

https://www.princess.com/learn/cruise-destinations/cruise-ports-and-hotels/

I've booked a much cheaper hotel on the same street (Little Collins). Been there before and it was just fine. I just want to be in CBD near a tram stop & park. Hope I get to go (2020 canceled)

We took the easy route and booked Holiday Inn in Melbourne. Yeah, I know but I always stayed in Holiday Inn (Express usually) when I was traveling for work. We have generally stuck with the chain after retirement. I have points... We will take a taxi to the hotel and then again to the port. (I already checked with the hotel and they don't provide a shuttle. Dang.) Our last couple of trips we booked local hotels - one in Southampton and another in Barcelona - and they were "unusual" to say the least.

I agree with others that booking with points and taking a taxi seems to be the way to go. We have never used the Princess hotel package but in the years I've been visiting this forum I have always heard that it is an expensive way to go.

Edited by Thrak

No Princess experience yet but if you have Hilton points check out the Doubletree on Flinders Street. Nice hotel, great location.  Lots of trams and the train station right there, CBD trolleys stop right there, the Yara River walk is across the street too.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mr. Click said:

No Princess experience yet but if you have Hilton points check out the Doubletree on Flinders Street. Nice hotel, great location.  Lots of trams and the train station right there, CBD trolleys stop right there, the Yara River walk is across the street too.

I took mass transit to that train station but the area was going through a lot of renovation. Short walk to Little Collins St where I stayed. Trolley goes within 1 block of cruise terminal.

Any idea how the renovations are going?

2 hours ago, Ombud said:

I took mass transit to that train station but the area was going through a lot of renovation. Short walk to Little Collins St where I stayed. Trolley goes within 1 block of cruise terminal.

Any idea how the renovations are going?

They have been completed.

image.jpeg.b89d5e5696b74d1ceb75272ba60d254f.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There is also a tram that takes you to the end of the pier, it is still a bit of a walk, but a beat up cripple like me can manage it (or could before a wheelchair became full time)

I think that's the end of 109 line from Little Collins St. Got to love how easy it is to get around Melbourne (even though I might be kept out this December)