Vaccine Required! For July in Galveston

19cruiser59

22 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

I agree.  Vaccinations aren't the only way to have immunity, but it seems that it is being pushed as the only way.  Why aren't they following the science and giving those who had covid an opportunity to provide a test showing they have immunity?

Antibody tests are probably only about 40% accurate.  Even with vaccinated people.  J&J rarely shows up in a antibody test.  Pfizer shows up more than others it seems.  I go for a test every month and my antibodies doesn't show very well --  light, thin line.  I have 7 of them so far - 4 in one month.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Lee Cruiser said:

Yes indeed.  That was my point yesterday in another post.  The new virus rates are going down dramatically in states with low vaccine rates just like the states with high vaccine rates, so it's not just about the vaccine.

True.

In Texas, more daily cases of strep throat than COVID nowadays.  I imagine other states are the same.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

Sure. That’s why I made sure to preface it with it was in Mexico. But I also paid a higher price ($5-10) to have someone come to the hotel vs. getting it done downtown. And Cozumel has very American prices for most items. 

Last weekend here they had free COVID tests at a shopping mall I was at so who knows.

I'm curious - and perhaps you've been asked this before - what's the significance of "Saint" in your name? You can tell me never mind, or that you'd prefer not to say (it's all good).

Thanks

Just now, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

I'm curious - and perhaps you've been asked this before - what's the significance of "Saint" in your name? You can tell me never mind, or that you'd prefer not to say (it's all good).

Thanks

I’m a Saints fan/season ticket holder and Saint _______ is a fairly common name on the Saints message board which is where I first registered it September 6th 2000.

• Like 2

I'm sorry to post here, but you guys seem to know a lot about these Galveston cruises: Will they be at full capacity, or is it a case of nobody really knows, all just speculation at this point? I can't find anything from CCL about it. THANKS!

1 minute ago, Saint Greg said:

I’m a Saints fan/season ticket holder and Saint _______ is a fairly common name on the Saints message board which is where I first registered it September 6th 2000.

Gotcha - thanks!

(I didn't figure you were with the Clergy!)  😄

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, shellster1 said:

I'm sorry to post here, but you guys seem to know a lot about these Galveston cruises: Will they be at full capacity, or is it a case of nobody really knows, all just speculation at this point? I can't find anything from CCL about it. THANKS!

Nobody knows at this point but I doubt they will be full.    They have not said anything.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, BrotherCraig said:

Antibody tests are probably only about 40% accurate.  Even with vaccinated people.  J&J rarely shows up in a antibody test.  Pfizer shows up more than others it seems.  I go for a test every month and my antibodies doesn't show very well --  light, thin line.  I have 7 of them so far - 4 in one month.

Then maybe they can require just proof that they had covid.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TNcruising02 said:

Then maybe they can require just proof that they had covid.

How do you do that?  I believe most of the people who had COVID never got tested.  I believe the number is probably number than the "confirmed" cases.  I know a lot of people that never got tested but had it - lost of smell, taste, etc.  

I am guessing those that had confirmed cases of it could provide proof somehow.  

Edited by BrotherCraig
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, BrotherCraig said:

How do you do that?  I believe most of the people who had COVID never got tested.  I believe the number is probably number than the "confirmed" cases.  I know a lot of people that never got tested but had it - lost of smell, taste, etc.  

If you never got tested, then you don't know whether you had COVID, so you should either get the vaccine, or get tested to see if you did have COVID, and maybe get a confirmation letter from your primary physician.

Ignorance of your own health status is hardly an excuse for avoiding appropriate protocols by saying "I think I had COVID".

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

If you never got tested, then you don't know whether you had COVID, so you should either get the vaccine, or get tested to see if you did have COVID, and maybe get a confirmation letter from your primary physician.

Ignorance of your own health status is hardly an excuse for avoiding appropriate protocols by saying "I think I had COVID".

It seems like people who lost their sense of taste and smell would have gotten tested so they would know to quarantine and stay away from other people.  My son's BIL lost his sense of taste and smell, which caused him to get a test.  That prompted my son to get a test and my son found out he had covid too.

Edited by TNcruising02
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

I agree with almost all of that.  You have a lot of people that know they had it but never got a test to confirm it and then you have a lot of people who had it that never had symptoms as well.  Yes, they should all get the vaccine.  There are not tests to show you had that works well so we can rule that out.  No tests that show the antibodies other than probably blood test and they even get that messed up.  We have seen it a lot here at work.  My point is - there are a lot of people that know, for a fact, they had it - loss of smell, taste, etc.... some still have not gotten it back after 6 months or more.  Getting the vaccine is the only real way to do it and be sure.  

1 minute ago, TNcruising02 said:

It seems like people who lost their sense of taste and smell would have gotten tested so they would know to quarantine and stay away from other people.  My son's BIL lost his sense of taste and smell, which caused him to get a test.  That prompted my son to get a test and my son found out he had covid too.

I know many people, personally, that never went for the test that loss taste and smell.  They quarantined themselves and took care of themselves since they don't trust their area medical people.  I don't blame them.  I rarely trust doctors myself.  Two doctors led to the death of my mom so I have a lot of mistrust -- although I trust mine.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Moviela said:

On the Vista that would be just a few less than 200 who could be sans vaccine. My question is why no one speaks of the poor people that has had Covid19 and have natural immunity. They do not need to be vaccinated, so would they have to be counted as if vaccinated, or take one of the 200 places? It seems to me those that pass an antibody test should be given a CDC card to join the vaccinated line.

My 83-year-old mother had Covid in December and her doctor said she should get the vaccine, which she did in May.  Both shots.

• Like 2

My wife's aunt is still in the hospital, since early April, because of the reaction from the Moderna vaccine.  Two hours after the shot, she lost feeling in the arm of the injection and the injection site turned greenish blue.  It then led to her heart and lungs.  Ambulance took her to the hospital and she is still there.  My mother-in-law refuses to get the vaccine because of that incident.  We had ZERO issue with the vaccines (wife had Pfizer and I had J&J).  My wife got the vaccine ONLY to prove to her mom that is fine and will be fine.  My wife is breastfeeding our infant so she was hesitant.  I have respect for people's opinions about getting or not getting the vaccine.  We all have our reasons and a lot of them are legitimate.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, BrotherCraig said:

My wife's aunt is still in the hospital, since early April, because of the reaction from the Moderna vaccine.  Two hours after the shot, she lost feeling in the arm of the injection and the injection site turned greenish blue.  It then led to her heart and lungs.  Ambulance took her to the hospital and she is still there.  My mother-in-law refuses to get the vaccine because of that incident.  We had ZERO issue with the vaccines (wife had Pfizer and I had J&J).  My wife got the vaccine ONLY to prove to her mom that is fine and will be fine.  My wife is breastfeeding our infant so she was hesitant.  I have respect for people's opinions about getting or not getting the vaccine.  We all have our reasons and a lot of them are legitimate.  

So sorry to hear about your wife's aunt.  That is very scary.  My mother has allergies to certain medications and was scared to get the vaccine.  She ended up choosing J&J because it was only one dose, but then worried herself sick when it was temporarily halted.  

Getting the vaccine is a personal choice.  All anyone can do is protect themselves in the way they see fit.  What other people do shouldn't be a concern.  If someone doesn't want to get the vaccine and would prefer to take the risk of getting covid, or who has already recovered from an infection, then that's their choice.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BrotherCraig said:

Dh and I both received an official document informing us of our Covid + status within 36 hours of testing and it was reported to our local health department since it is a public health risk. We were also contacted by the health department for purposes of contact tracing. Thankfully, it stopped with our little family. We think (though do not know) I brought it into the home from my dentist's office. And they were following all protocols. Just bad luck but I had to have a painful broken tooth fixed. It was the only place I had been outside our home 2 weeks prior. That said, I have been vaccinated too. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TNcruising02 said:

That was our first symptom too. Woke up one morning and couldn't smell or taste my coffee!! 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, fatcat04 said:

Dh and I both received an official document informing us of our Covid + status within 36 hours of testing and it was reported to our local health department since it is a public health risk. We were also contacted by the health department for purposes of contact tracing. Thankfully, it stopped with our little family. We think (though do not know) I brought it into the home from my dentist's office. And they were following all protocols. Just bad luck but I had to have a painful broken tooth fixed. It was the only place I had been outside our home 2 weeks prior. That said, I have been vaccinated too. 

Glad y'all are okay.  Almost everyone that I know that got COVID was practicing staying at home, good hygiene, masking up if they do go out, and social distancing when they can - still got it.  I also know people that went to bars and parties every week or more and didn't take it seriously - never got it. It's crazy.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, fatcat04 said:

That was our first symptom too. Woke up one morning and couldn't smell or taste my coffee!! 

LOL!  That is what a good friend of mine said.  He loved the smell of coffee in the morning and he was pissed when he could not smell it one morning.  He went and got tested - positive.  He got his taste and smell back but can't stand the smell of coffee now.  Makes him want to vomit.  Can't stand being around any food being cooked because it all smells bad. All of his favorite foods - he hates now and can't eat it.  He only eats plain noodles and plain rice now.  That is it.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BrotherCraig said:

LOL!  That is what a good friend of mine said.  He loved the smell of coffee in the morning and he was pissed when he could not smell it one morning.  He went and got tested - positive.  He got his taste and smell back but can't stand the smell of coffee now.  Makes him want to vomit.  Can't stand being around any food being cooked because it all smells bad. All of his favorite foods - he hates now and can't eat it.  He only eats plain noodles and plain rice now.  That is it.  

IKR. Morning coffee is sacred!!

My taste still is not pre-Covid okay but much better. Dh has had it bad like your friend. Lots of stuff tastes or smells rotten, like gag worthy rotten. It is slowly getting better but it has been rough. He gets so excited when he finds something that actually tastes normal. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, fatcat04 said:

IKR. Morning coffee is sacred!!

My taste still is not pre-Covid okay but much better. Dh has had it bad like your friend. Lots of stuff tastes or smells rotten, like gag worthy rotten. It is slowly getting better but it has been rough. He gets so excited when he finds something that actually tastes normal. 

I can't imagine.  Has to be weird.  My friend lost over 80 pounds since COVID so that is a positive.  Only drink water and he said even that tastes like metal.    He tried many beers and couldn't do it.  He use to drink a lot of beer.  lol

• Like 1

Just now, BrotherCraig said:

I can't imagine.  Has to be weird.  My friend lost over 80 pounds since COVID so that is a positive.  Only drink water and he said even that tastes like metal.    He tried many beers and couldn't do it.  He use to drink a lot of beer.  lol

Yeah he can't do most beers. The hops taste like rotten limes smell. It's depressing. He can manage a low hopped beer but it still doesn't taste right. Some docs say that folks like your friend and dh will have to retrain their taste buds by just soldiering through the gag and gross taste/smell. Dh is not quite convinced of this theory yet.🤣

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, fatcat04 said:

Yeah he can't do most beers. The hops taste like rotten limes smell. It's depressing. He can manage a low hopped beer but it still doesn't taste right. Some docs say that folks like your friend and dh will have to retrain their taste buds by just soldiering through the gag and gross taste/smell. Dh is not quite convinced of this theory yet.🤣

It would be hard to do for sure.  Many people are committing suicide over things like that and the after effects of COVID.  Messes with your head.  Hope it never happens to me and wouldn't wish that upon anyone.  All because of recklessness that caused this virus.  Sad.  

Edited by BrotherCraig
  • Like 2