Didn't take long

2 minutes ago, 3kidsncats said:

The person onboard for a points related travel blog reported that the two people were retested and came back positive again.  She was on an excursion with them two days earlier, so was also quarantined with priority testing (hers came back negative).

No idea what test was done, but what do you think the likelihood of false positives for these same two people would be on repeat tests?  (Presuming the reporting is accurate, which is not a given in my experience).  

I would think they truly were retested before all this became the news of the day.  Or I hope so.

9 hours ago, BecciBoo said:

All I did was click the QUOTE BUTTON.  WHO SAID THAT THEN?

At the time, answering this question only required one to scroll up two posts and read.  But to answer, I believe you quoted Sept10dsm, not me, but I think that material may have been removed by moderators.

Also, you chose to edit the posts, which can remove the proper quote formatting and attribute the quoted text to the wrong person, especially if you are reacting to a quoted portion within a post, and not the person whose post you chose to respond to. 

IMHO it is poor form to not put the full context off a quote by cherry picking a single sentence, out of context, nor to be certain you are quoting the right person.  I could type anything and attribute it to you as a quote, which isnt very nice, but is supported by the editor. To avoid this I tend to bold or highlight the sentence within an intact quote.  Removing context is usually an attempt a spin doctoring.

So my recommendation is to quote the post you are reponding to, not a person who has also quoted that post, since the quote within a quote is removed by your editing it down to the one sentence you wanted, but the wrong person is left as who was being quoted.  FYI, using ALL CAPS, is considered online yelling, and is also poor form, but doesnt stop people without much to say, but who want to say it loud. Perhaps you knew that?

Have a nice afternoon.

Edited by Pizzasteve

5 hours ago, 3kidsncats said:

The person onboard for a points related travel blog reported that the two people were retested and came back positive again.  She was on an excursion with them two days earlier, so was also quarantined with priority testing (hers came back negative).

No idea what test was done, but what do you think the likelihood of false positives for these same two people would be on repeat tests?  (Presuming the reporting is accurate, which is not a given in my experience).  

I wouldn’t trust the positive second antigen test. A molecular PCR test is needed as confirmation. 

1 hour ago, not-enough-cruising said:

I wouldn’t trust the positive second antigen test. A molecular PCR test is needed as confirmation. 

Thanks for your opinion.  Hopefully these two get the more accurate test soon, in case they don’t need to quarantine afterall

7 hours ago, 3kidsncats said:

No

2 hours ago, Pizzasteve said:

At the time, answering this question only required one to scroll up two posts and read.  But to answer, I believe you quoted Sept10dsm, not me, but I think that material may have been removed by moderators.

Also, you chose to edit the posts, which can remove the proper quote formatting and attribute the quoted text to the wrong person, especially if you are reacting to a quoted portion within a post, and not the person whose post you chose to respond to. 

IMHO it is poor form to not put the full context off a quote by cherry picking a single sentence, out of context, nor to be certain you are quoting the right person.  I could type anything and attribute it to you as a quote, which isnt very nice, but is supported by the editor. To avoid this I tend to bold or highlight the sentence within an intact quote.  Removing context is usually an attempt a spin doctoring.

So my recommendation is to quote the post you are reponding to, not a person who has also quoted that post, since the quote within a quote is removed by your editing it down to the one sentence you wanted, but the wrong person is left as who was being quoted.  FYI, using ALL CAPS, is considered online yelling, and is also poor form, but doesnt stop people without much to say, but who want to say it loud. Perhaps you knew that?

Have a nice afternoon.

Are you an English Lord....

Poor form and all, so improper.

😱😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Biker19 said:

Or, perhaps, removing extraneous and irrelevant text.

Fair enough, but do you want someone quoting you as saying something wrong and the opposite of your opinion?  Anyway back to the topic...

Edited by Pizzasteve

On 6/10/2021 at 12:48 PM, soremekun said:

Bound to happen.  Good thing was it was contained and not everyone's cruise is ruined.

Imagine how many people would have been ill if RC didn’t require vaccinations or testing.

• Like 2

On 6/10/2021 at 1:13 PM, cruiserchuck said:

I assume the odds that they are both false positives are long also.  Maybe they both received the less effective J&J vaccine, or came down with one of the newer variants.  

The vaccinations aren’t 100% effective.  But if you do get it, it’s not so bad as to be hospitalized or cause death.

• Like 1

On 6/10/2021 at 1:30 PM, harkinmr said:

Very unusual.  Both in the same cabin. Were they really vaccinated? Would be interesting to find out. Why were they tested? If they were asymptomatic what would be the impetus behind testing in the first place? Makes me think there is more to this story AND that starting with the next sailing they will be testing all vaccinated passengers at the port. 

It’s probably a couple who live together.  So, the odds of both of them being sick at the same time is not surprising.

On 6/10/2021 at 3:30 PM, harkinmr said:

There is no absolute proof at this time that prior infection provides long term immunity. 

According to articles I have read, and confirmed by my daughter who’s a Nurse Practitioner, getting the virus only gives you immunity for about 3 months.  You’re not permanently immuned.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, iuki said:

According to articles I have read, and confirmed by my daughter who’s a Nurse Practitioner, getting the virus only gives you immunity for about 3 months.  You’re not permanently immuned.

Initially it was thought 3 months but newer research is showing natural immunity can last much longer.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, iuki said:

That has been updated.  

https://www.healthline.com/health-news/how-long-does-immunity-last-after-covid-19-what-we-know

https://www.nih.gov/news-events/nih-research-matters/lasting-immunity-found-after-recovery-covid-19

Edited by jean87510
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, iuki said:

It’s probably a couple who live together.  So, the odds of both of them being sick at the same time is not surprising.

They are not sick according to the article. Did you read something different?

• Thanks 1

I tried to keep up with all of the threads dealing with C 19 and too many and sometime quite verbose.  Wondering was the crew tested or the ones who came in contact with these 2 gentlemen and if any results.

6 hours ago, iuki said:

Wrong. That is old information.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, iuki said:

This has been updated.  Even NIH (I don't know how to add link) stated back in Jan (no mention on news!) that they hoped the vaccine showed as much immunity as natural recovered (I"m paraphrasing but I was actually shocked to see they had a study)  They've found not only antibodies but T cells that hold the memory to fight the illness.

30 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

They are not sick according to the article. Did you read something different?

Yes, not sick but all the news etc.  Hopefully this doesn't happen often.  With cruising, and the extensive testing this is bound to happen.