Didn't take long

1 hour ago, rtazz17 said:

You would have some. There is always false positives,a symtomatic etc. Asymptomatics arent even an issue. Cdc doesnt even want positive asymtomatic numbers anymore because the risk of an asymptomatic person infecting someone is non existant,very low. Yes this is a change from early cdc talk. Asymtomatics are not coughing,sneezing etc. And we now know its nit living on surfaces. Testing for no reason is just absurd. Lets take apart your car engine entirely to see if we can find a problem even though its working perfectly. Same thing. Im sure someone will disagree with me. I refer you to cdc website. They dont want asymptomatic numbers skewing the true numbers any more.

The problem is the media making it headlines. Many people will just read a headline and automatically think this is such a bad thing.

I agree with you with testing asymptomatic passenger is absurd.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, harkinmr said:

There is no absolute proof at this time that prior infection provides long term immunity. 

and that's exactly the reason why I insisted that my parents get vaccinated, even though they both had Covid a year ago.

My BFF is in an Eastern European county and they have to do the antibody test before they can get a vaccine. Nobody is in any particular hurry to get to it.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, radarcruiser said:

I wish the CDC and the cruise lines would follow the CDC’s own advice and stop testing asymptomatic vaccinated people. Attached is CDC interim guidance from May 28, 2021 which says vaccinated people should refrain from screening testing. 

E7717C97-136D-4BA7-8860-AE66F3A1D9B9.png

I agree with you totally!! The CDC guidance says no need to test asymptomatic, vaccinated people. The main reason these tests were conducted is to be used for returning to the U.S. (and I guess St. Martin is also requiring them upon disembarking).

I wish the CDC would allow vaccinated travelers to use their vaccine card to travel back to the U.S. At this point, 63% of adults are vaccinated so to me, it would make sense that you either need a negative covid test (unvaxxed) or a vaccine card to return to the U.S. Or change the policy so non-citizens need tests to enter the U.S. I don't get why all this testing is necessary, especially considering unvaxxed people are traveling all over the U.S. currently. Why does it matter if you're coming from Saint Martin vs Hawaii?

We are booked for Alaska. I am hoping we don't need any tests to return to Seattle since we haven't left the U.S. Will be interesting to see how this all unfolds. 

7 minutes ago, radarcruiser said:

I wish the CDC and the cruise lines would follow the CDC’s own advice and stop testing asymptomatic vaccinated people. Attached is CDC interim guidance from May 28, 2021 which says vaccinated people should refrain from screening testing. 

I don’t know that the CDC was in on this — the guidelines for vaccinated people returning to the US is now “recommend” test within 5 days of return, but I’m still seeing ship protocols that say a return test is required.  It was also stated by someone on the Millennium that it was announced onboard  St. Maarten decided they wanted vaccinated people tested 48 hours prior to the ship returning there for disembarkation.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, radarcruiser said:

"Their company, their rules"  🙂

3 minutes ago, 3kidsncats said:

I don’t know that the CDC was in on this — the guidelines for vaccinated people returning to the US is now “recommend” test within 5 days of return, but I’m still seeing ship protocols that say a return test is required.  It was also stated by someone on the Millennium that it was announced onboard  St. Maarten decided they wanted vaccinated people tested 48 hours prior to the ship returning there for disembarkation.  

I believe the tests are required by Saint Martin and then for Americans that are traveling back to the U.S. I wish the requirement for a negative test within 72 hours would be dropped for Americans traveling back to the U.S. It is pretty crazy that 2 fully vaccinated people will now be stranded abroad until they can test negative even though they have no symptoms. There are millions of Americans traveling domestically that are likely asymptomatic, fully vaccinated. 

7 minutes ago, allieic95 said:

I believe the tests are required by Saint Martin and then for Americans that are traveling back to the U.S. I wish the requirement for a negative test within 72 hours would be dropped for Americans traveling back to the U.S. It is pretty crazy that 2 fully vaccinated people will now be stranded abroad until they can test negative even though they have no symptoms. There are millions of Americans traveling domestically that are likely asymptomatic, fully vaccinated. 

Yes, I said that about St. Maarten.  I’ve seen CDC guidance for both requiring vaccinated people to test before flying home, and for just recommending it.  The CDC website still says required, so apparently still in place.

More and more data is coming out that vaccinated individuals who turn up positive do not shed enough virus to make anyone sick.  There is zero point/reason to test anyone who has been vaccinated.  All it does is create hysteria.    The other problem is the test is way too sensitive so it picks up an amount of disease that can't be shed enough to pass anything on.

Edited by BND
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, 3kidsncats said:

Yes, I said that about St. Maarten.  I’ve seen CDC guidance for both requiring vaccinated people to test before flying home, and for just recommending it.  The CDC website still says required, so apparently still in place.

Sorry didn't read your comment very well 🙂 Yes, it is conflicting. They say recommended after travel but international travel still requires a negative test. I think a great incentive for some to get vaccinated would be ability to travel abroad and not have fears of getting stranded with a positive test to return to the U.S. 

58 minutes ago, allieic95 said:

So you are saying it’s ok to let them spread it to others?  Head in sand time. Unreal. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, LouChamp said:

So you are saying it’s ok to let them spread it to others?  Head in sand time. Unreal. 

No, I think the point is that data clearly shows vaccinated people have low viral loads and are highly unlikely to spread Covid, especially as compared to unvaccinated people already in the US.    

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, LouChamp said:

If you're worried about that very unlikely chance, then you better just stay home because you won't know who in the general population that have been vaccinated are "infected".   There's growing evidence that people who test positive and have been vaccinated don't shed enough virus to infect others.  There's always going to be the odd case, just like with any disease and vaccine.  If vaccinated infected people spread the disease easily we would not be seeing the huge drop in cases that correlates to the vaccine.

Also, the fact the only two positive cases came from people traveling together is interesting.  And, since they were apparently asymptomatic, no one would have ever known. 

2 hours ago, sept10dsm said:

Yes, and I completely get it.  But having all vaccinated on the ships may end up proving that the vaccinated do still test positive thus having the rules go be to quarantine etc. 

And now I just read that the ship was 100percent vaccinated, all tested neg within 72 hrs. of sailing and this was the 72 hr test prior to being able to leave.  

2 hours ago, kilkoyne said:

The problem is the media making it headlines. Many people will just read a headline and automatically think this is such a bad thing.

Yes, I just posted a similar post.   The testing is routine and yes asymptomatic and there are probably many walking around like that in the world.  This is making big headlines.  All are tested before and just before leaving.  I'm sure this won't be the first time it happens.  Yankees had it happen to 9.  Those wouldn't have been tested either but for company policy.   The CDC doesn't recommend testing now for vaccinated when in contact with a covid individual, unless symptoms.  Why not?  But in cases like a cruise or company policy this will come out.

17 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

But norovirus spreads so easily. Air, fluids, surface, you name it. You don't get statements from cruise lines when 2 people have norovirus.

Yes, that's kind of what I'm saying.  The news media is just chomping at the bit to get any kind of news about COVID.  If 2 people had norovirus they'd never blink even if they people were gagging up their buffet.  But, 2 people test positive, but have absolutely no symptoms and it's a big deal on every single news network and talk show.

I hope that, at some point soon, they can move on and stop trying to sensationalize it so much.

Tom

1 hour ago, LouChamp said:

They aren't spreading it to others. Fully vaccinated people do not have enough viral load to spread. That has been proven with the data - hence why U.S. cases are continuing to drop dramatically as vaccination rates rise. 

These 2 passengers would have never been tested at home if they didn't have symptoms. The CDC guidance states that vaccinated people shouldn't be tested UNLESS they have symptoms. They don't even have to test if they are in close contact with a positive case. So why do international travelers, who are fully vaccinated and not showing symptoms, need to be tested to return to the US when there are likely plenty of people traveling domestically in the same boat (vaccinated, no symptoms). 

This is similar to when the CDC said you can't spread COVID outdoors but the CSO stated that masks were required inside and outside on the ship.. Luckily, they updated this to align with the science. I am hoping we will stop testing asymptomatic, vaccinated people in the same way to align with CDC guidance. 

1 hour ago, 3kidsncats said:

No, I think the point is that data clearly shows vaccinated people have low viral loads and are highly unlikely to spread Covid, especially as compared to unvaccinated people already in the US.    

Exactly what I was trying to say. Thank you!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, allieic95 said:

They aren't spreading it to others. Fully vaccinated people do not have enough viral load to spread. That has been proven with the data - hence why U.S. cases are continuing to drop dramatically as vaccination rates rise. 

These 2 passengers would have never been tested at home if they didn't have symptoms. The CDC guidance states that vaccinated people shouldn't be tested UNLESS they have symptoms. They don't even have to test if they are in close contact with a positive case. So why do international travelers, who are fully vaccinated and not showing symptoms, need to be tested to return to the US when there are likely plenty of people traveling domestically in the same boat (vaccinated, no symptoms). 

This is similar to when the CDC said you can't spread COVID outdoors but the CSO stated that masks were required inside and outside on the ship.. Luckily, they updated this to align with the science. I am hoping we will stop testing asymptomatic, vaccinated people in the same way to align with CDC guidance. 

The bottom line is if someone has it there is a risk of a shipboard quarantine. I do not care about statistics or medicine i care about having a pleasant worry free vacation. Right now that’s not possible so i’ll wait until it’s possible. If not i’ll enjoy my life in hawaii and new york with my family. I’m not saying you or anyone else should or should not go.  enjoy!

1 hour ago, BND said:

If you're worried about that very unlikely chance, then you better just stay home because you won't know who in the general population that have been vaccinated are "infected".   There's growing evidence that people who test positive and have been vaccinated don't shed enough virus to infect others.  There's always going to be the odd case, just like with any disease and vaccine.  If vaccinated infected people spread the disease easily we would not be seeing the huge drop in cases that correlates to the vaccine.

Also, the fact the only two positive cases came from people traveling together is interesting.  And, since they were apparently asymptomatic, no one would have ever known. 

Then i’ll stay home. I’ve been blessed to have a completed bucket list. no worries. You can go. All the best 

2 hours ago, kilkoyne said:

Well good. Maybe a little gloom & doom is needed. These cruiselines are about to price themselves out of future reservations. Prices need to come back to earth and then stabilize some. 

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, allieic95 said:

They wouldn't have been tested.  That's correct.  CDC did change rules for vaccinated, but companies haven't.  There are actually 20 (as of yesterdays news) deaths from the fully vaccinated that got covid in NJ.  However, only 8 were covid alone, and the cdc says to only count the 8!   While the other 12 had covid, fully vaccinated, they may have had heart attack etc.  All died in hospital   But that's not how it works for unvaccinated, you have a positive test and no matter how you die it's covid.  Kind of a scam it sounds to me.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, not-enough-cruising said:

It’s really looking like a false positive, which is common when you test asymptomatic people

even so, look at all the drama it's created.  It just never ends.  I was positive back in Nov.  no symptoms, test because of close contact. (I do have antibodies-so not a false positive)  and the contact was very ill no common symptoms, just low 93 pulseox reading and tired.  NO fever, no cough, no loss taste smell none of it.  The whole thing was very weird.

1 minute ago, not-enough-cruising said:

It’s really looking like a false positive, which is common when you test asymptomatic people

The person onboard for a points related travel blog reported that the two people were retested and came back positive again.  She was on an excursion with them two days earlier, so was also quarantined with priority testing (hers came back negative).

No idea what test was done, but what do you think the likelihood of false positives for these same two people would be on repeat tests?  (Presuming the reporting is accurate, which is not a given in my experience).