Change in excursion policy!! Hurray!!

Mocamps

We’re booked onto the inaugural Greek islands cruise next Saturday and have been today advised of a change of itinerary but also the following......

The  better news is that as of today, we are now able to let guests explore ashore on their own in Greece. You are no longer required to book a Windstar shore excursion to go ashore. We are quite pleased about this policy change, as I’m sure you are. However, be aware that policies are constantly evolving, and it’s possible this could change again. Windstar must follow each country’s COVID policies which includes rules for travelers going ashore. 

I now need to get on with some planning!!

• Like 3

14 hours ago, LTCOP said:

Very good news!  Hoping this is soon extended to Caribbean itineraries too!

The itinerary changes on Celebrity cruises this week compared to last show that the Caribbean nations are still feeling their way on this too.  Any cruisers this summer must be prepared for frequent changes and reversals.

YES HOORAY....BUT

No one would like the good old days of free roaming around town and booking independent land tours return more than I do. We have a 28 day European cruise booked for this fall and we recently booked thirteen different Windstar excursions for that trip. Those thirteen excursions cost me more than we are paying for an eighteen day Tahiti cruise next year, crazy I know BUT. If the Windstar bubble keeps us safe, as ridiculous as some of the recent examples are, it might be worth it. It’s great news that Windstar now allows roaming in Greece but only 25% of the people in Greece are fully vaccinated, ergo 75% are not. Our itinerary visits seven different countries, each with its own COVID entrance regulations. Some require a PCR result so many  hours prior to arrival, others an antigen test results at different days. Some require full vaccination, others don’t. It’s a crap shoot and we are excited about going but I haven’t made my final payment, bought airline tickets or booked hotels.

I reluctantly booked those excursions realizing that I could cancel some or all if Windstar relaxed it’s excursion policy and then book independently. With the spread of the new variants, the slow vaccination rates in many countries and the confusing and contradictory policies everywhere, I’m not sure that is still our plan. As annoying as the Windstar policy is, there is some small comfort in having them look out for us, whatever their motive.

21 minutes ago, Barrycat said:

Those thirteen excursions cost me more than we are paying for an eighteen day Tahiti cruise next year, crazy I know BUT. If the Windstar bubble keeps us safe, as ridiculous as some of the recent examples are, it might be worth it.

I completely agree with your thinking.  Our two cruises this fall touch 9 different countries, including 8 Mediterranean islands.  The cruise ships only hold 118 passengers [with crew and pax 100% vaxxed] and the fare includes all shore excursions [Noble Caledonia].  Some people complain that they charge luxury cruise prices but don't deliver a luxury cruise, but their shore excursions are far better than those included by Regent or Silversea and in fact cover exactly what I would attempt to find in private tours – and I have the assurance that they will be keeping me in the ship's bubble and taking care of me [I almost said 'holding my hand' – but course we can't do that now! 😉]  I feel much more comfortable going this far from home with that type of schedule.

I am glad that WS is dropping the excursion provision in Greece and  the vaccinated people can go with WS excursions or follow their own interests.  I do not think it is customers speaking but Greece changing their policies in relationship to this virus despite their troubling vaccination rate as mentioned by Barrycat. 

I think WS is in the wait and see mode because no one really knows. It could all change on a dime. The countries all have different laws and systems. I am scheduled for Rome Malta 9/28. Like Barrycat no air/hotels or tours and further no excursions booked. I decided if the ship only excursions were mandatory we were not going only really because we have rather different and more intense interests than the tours mentioned. There were 2 we would have taken though.  More importantly and recently  I do not like the way Italy has opened/ will open when right now their full vaccination rate is 17%. Also they can close down parts of the country if the virus in different areas uptick I understand this.  Since this trip was very specific and special for us most likely we will wait until next year and hope for the best. Truly I think we are all hoping for the best going forth.  On the whole I do not think it is greed on WS part but rather on some tours mentioned for the Caribbean that are ridiculous it is lack of imagination and thought ie., $29 in St. Barts to go ashore to shop at a souvenir shop and Hermès, that is nuts. My fingers are crossed for great sailing ahead so I hope it all straightens out soon. I am thrilled WS is vaccinated only! 

Jazzbeau, Thanks for that. My problem: I am going to Malta specifically to study the  Caravaggio with an expert. I am going to Sicily, where I have been numerous times, to meet with a favorite author or mine and to go to a specific town for a specific food.  We have been very fortunate to have done a lot of traveling over many years in addition to have lived in Europe. Our  favorite way to get places is by sea, therefore WS.  That is what I am weighing with this virus and excursion policy. I think/ hope it will be better next year. Enjoy your cruising. Susanne