The Pros and Cons of the Yacht Club.

chromered7

Pros - its a true all inclusive experience you rarely get on cruise ships nowadays.  The food in the YC restaurant is so good and diverse over the course of the week that you won't feel the draw to go to a specialty dining unless you have a particular desire for it.  The space is quiet, much moreso than the rest of the ship.  Its a nice oasis from the hustle and bustle of a modern ship.

Cons - On Seaside class, shade is scarce up on deck.  Outside of sitting at the bar, you essentially have to rent a cabana to get any serious shade during the week.  The hot tubs are also located on the windiest part of the ship, and that entire area turns into a wind tunnel while under sail.  We sailed in March and it was too cold to use them based on the wind alone unless we were at port.

8 hours ago, hannah29 said:

We have done many cruises with MSC but finally going yacht club with our 16 year old next year. Neither myself or her eat fish and the menus always have a reasonable amount of fish on them. We have always asked for a copy of the children's menu and both of us have ordered from this in the main dining room plenty of times. We often do a mixture of both menus and it has never been an issue!

I am assuming from reading this thread there is a children's menu in yacht club? can anyone post a copy please

Yes, there is a chidrens menu in the YC. I`ve ordered from it in the past. I too don`t eat any seafood so often order from always available or kids menu.

1 hour ago, Beardface said:

Cons - On Seaside class, shade is scarce up on deck.  Outside of sitting at the bar, you essentially have to rent a cabana to get any serious shade during the week.

The Seaside class ships were designed that way on purpose. The intent was to maximize outdoor space and enjoy the sunshine. I wasn't sure based on your post if you knew that or not. That said, you are correct that you need to get a cabana to get lots of shade.

38 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

The Seaside class ships were designed that way on purpose. The intent was to maximize outdoor space and enjoy the sunshine. I wasn't sure based on your post if you knew that or not. 

Yep, and on the Meraviglia, there is 'no sun generally under the UV glass, some areas aback on the sides (if they let you move loungers there) and you'll likely have to head down on deck to a small public area above the pools (which is fun though).

38 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

That said, you are correct that you need to get a cabana to get lots of shade.

Or, the pool staff (the best, Olin or Onil, believe he left to join his brother on another line) and butlers know you want shade and they move you constantly to their known shady slivers of the sundeck (my wife is on the move 3-5 times a day). 

Just now, At Sea At Peace said:

Yep, and on the Meraviglia, there is 'no sun generally under the UV glass, some areas aback on the sides (if they let you move loungers there) and you'll likely have to head down on deck to a small public area above the pools (which is fun though).

Or, the pool staff (the best, Olin or Onil, believe he left to join his brother on another line) and butlers know you want shade and they move you constantly to their known shady slivers of the sundeck (my wife is on the move 3-5 times a day). 

I've seen people on this board complain that there's not enough sun on the Meraviglia as often as people complain about too much of it on Seaside. Can't please everybody, I guess. (although it's easier to find shade when it's sunny than to "make more sun.") LOL

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

I've seen people on this board complain that there's not enough sun on the Meraviglia as often as people complain about too much of it on Seaside. Can't please everybody, I guess. (although it's easier to find shade when it's sunny than to "make more sun.") LOL

Yep, we've read the same.

We're a win-win.  Wife wants shade or UV protection glass, I want sun.  So, whatever class of ship we're on, one of us is 100% all set from the get-go, yet we're each ultimately happy (as the other just moves about as part of the experience).

I will say the Seaside class could use, at least 3-5 on each side of the ships YC sun deck, some of those NCL heavy metal (base and pole) umbrellas that are in the Vibe.  The only ones at sea that we've experienced that can really take some stiffer winds.  It take 'some beef to move the darn things, but they work.

Edited by At Sea At Peace
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, At Sea At Peace said:

Or, the pool staff (the best, Olin or Onil, believe he left to join his brother on another line) and 

Onil is now a Junior Butler (well deserved promotion!) on Meraviglia.  His beautiful daughter just turned 2.  He is on the Book of Faces, BTW.

1 hour ago, DCGuy64 said:

The Seaside class ships were designed that way on purpose. The intent was to maximize outdoor space and enjoy the sunshine. I wasn't sure based on your post if you knew that or not. That said, you are correct that you need to get a cabana to get lots of shade.

Oh I know

At the same time, its one thing to hear that this is the case.  Its a completely different thing to actually experience it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Beardface said:

Oh I know

At the same time, its one thing to hear that this is the case.  Its a completely different thing to actually experience it.

Absolutely. Our only experiences so far on MSC have been the Seaside and the Meraviglia. You’re right, experience is a different thing than theoretical. 

1 hour ago, JAGR said:

Onil is now a Junior Butler (well deserved promotion!) on Meraviglia.  His beautiful daughter just turned 2.  He is on the Book of Faces, BTW.

That's great that he stayed with MSC.

I have no idea what 'Book of Faces' is.  😟  Never did the 'social media major platforms for other business reasons, although pretty tech savvy.

A tip on BOF and shortcut to his site or posts?

1 hour ago, At Sea At Peace said:

That's great that he stayed with MSC.

I have no idea what 'Book of Faces' is.  😟  Never did the 'social media major platforms for other business reasons, although pretty tech savvy.

A tip on BOF and shortcut to his site or posts?

Can you say Zuckerberg?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, At Sea At Peace said:

Yep, we've read the same.

We're a win-win.  Wife wants shade or UV protection glass, I want sun.  So, whatever class of ship we're on, one of us is 100% all set from the get-go, yet we're each ultimately happy (as the other just moves about as part of the experience).

I will say the Seaside class could use, at least 3-5 on each side of the ships YC sun deck, some of those NCL heavy metal (base and pole) umbrellas that are in the Vibe.  The only ones at sea that we've experienced that can really take some stiffer winds.  It take 'some beef to move the darn things, but they work.

Looking at Seashore, you will  both probably like it!  Seems to have added additional shade by the sides where the majority of the cabanas are laid out.

9 hours ago, Beardface said:

The food in the YC restaurant is so good and diverse over the course of the week that you won't feel the draw to go to a specialty dining unless you have a particular desire for it. 

That was my experience as well.  I "shopped".  I looked at the menus of the specialty restaurants and then asked myself:  why try them?  I will add the service aspect to your comment.  Luis and Arthur recognized me and the regular Stewards did as well.  That added to better service, I think, than I might have experienced in a specialty restaurant.

9 hours ago, Beardface said:
7 hours ago, JohnJayJotaJames said:

there is a chidrens menu in the YC.

There was a family with 2 children on my Meraviglia cruise.  One was an early adolescent; one was probably 8-10 years old.  They were often seated within my eyesight.  If they were offered a different menu, I did not see so.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

That was my experience as well.  I "shopped".  I looked at the menus of the specialty restaurants and then asked myself:  why try them?  I will add the service aspect to your comment.  Luis and Arthur recognized me and the regular Stewards did as well.  That added to better service, I think, than I might have experienced in a specialty restaurant.

There was a family with 2 children on my Meraviglia cruise.  One was an early adolescent; one was probably 8-10 years old.  They were often seated within my eyesight.  If they were offered a different menu, I did not see so.  

It does not matter if Arthur recognizes you or not, he flat out provides great service as a first time cruiser.

• Like 3

On 7/13/2021 at 7:17 PM, JAGR said:

He is on the Grandiosa right now. We met him a few weeks before. Nice guy.

On 6/21/2021 at 8:58 PM, kelleherdl said:

Arthur thinks he may by joining Meraviglia or Seashore.  My hope is Divina or Seashore. I would think if it was going to be Meraviglia he would already be on his way.

Can you post here when you find out? We last saw him in Feb 20 right b4 shutdown. We will be on Seashore for Xmas and would love to see him again. 

21 minutes ago, BoundForSea said:

Can you post here when you find out? We last saw him in Feb 20 right b4 shutdown. We will be on Seashore for Xmas and would love to see him again. 

I certainly will.  With Divina in her new port at Port Canaveral and Seashore coming to Miami Arthur would be a good fit for either.  I have Divina in September and Seashore in November, so I’m betting I will see him on one those two.  Lisa Y will be on Seashore before us so she may see him first.  But knowing Arthur as soon as he is permitted he will let us know on Facebook.

• 3 months later...
15 hours ago, phissy said:

Question for YC experience.

If one orders Room Service in the YC, does the food come from YC kitchens or does it all come from main kitchens?

Except pizza- we do want that to come from Main Buffet!

When we ordered room service on Virtuosa it was always brought to us by our butler so I presume it is from the YC kitchen.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, ConnieTact said:

When we ordered room service on Virtuosa it was always brought to us by our butler so I presume it is from the YC kitchen.

Not so sure, I see butlers out in the ship areas from time to time.....

• Like 1

On 11/6/2021 at 4:35 AM, ConnieTact said:

I rather doubt that the YC Galley is open 24 hours, particularly for pizza orders.  Maybe my memory is incorrect, but, I recall a special phone number to call for pizza delivery to one's stateroom.  

• Like 1

On 11/6/2021 at 1:00 PM, dexddd said:

BTW, Arthur was on Divinia and several crew were hoping to move to the new ship when it arrives.

Arthur was the Le Muse Maitre'd on our 7 day cruise ending today.  Quite a character but professional.  The sevice in La Muse was sublime.  Arthur also is incharge at the Ocean Cay YC Restaurant.  Great guy and now a buddy.

• Like 3