LIVE from "Iceland's Natural Beauty" -- All Sailings, 2021

Peregrina651

16 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

She was manning the gangplank this morning as we headed out. Jojo Flores.  

Did she post the future cruise credits and conditions and if so what are they? I think JoJo is out of the UK office and if you run into her ask if Nathan Goy is still around.

Thanks

Curious when I can expect to actually get off the ship when we return to Reykjavik.  We are trying to get a shuttle to the Blue Lagoon and Viking says we will be off by 9:00.  Just wonder if that's realistic.

6 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

Yes. I did.  Easier to tuck in with passport that way.  

6 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

Yes. I did.  Easier to tuck in with passport that way.  

Thanks so much.  That should relieve her mind.  I told her she could use my cell number but think I will print it out too.  Appreciate the responses....you'll are the greatest.

Went on the golden Circle tour it lasted 8 1/2 hours I walked over 3 1/2 miles total at all the stops.  To see the waterfall from the top overlook was nice, but to see them levels of all the waterfalls you must go down 100 steps.  There are 13 steps and a landing then 13 steps landing and so on so if you have a problem with steps don’t do it, if not sure if you have trouble going down remember you must come up.  Halfway down is also a good view.  At the waterfall they have a large gift shop.  Lunch was salmon and boiled potatoes, coconut soup (vegetarian). Miniature cream puff.  Nice small rye bread glass of wine, coffee.  My husband isn’t a fish lover and loved it.  Nice day.

• Like 8

I am so appreciating all this wonderful information being reported! I have a question regarding arriving at Keflavik airport, specifically on Delta if possible. What is the approximate amount of time between being actually outside in the elements and entering the terminal building. I understand you don't actually get off on a jetway, but must actually be outside for a period of time. 

9 hours ago, hodges97 said:

Curious when I can expect to actually get off the ship when we return to Reykjavik.  We are trying to get a shuttle to the Blue Lagoon and Viking says we will be off by 9:00.  Just wonder if that's realistic.

Not onboard but according to other posters here and elsewhere some of the Viking buses to the airport left at 7 am (for 11:15 flights) so I would see no reason why you wouldn’t be able to depart by 9. Additionally, I think Viking has previously stated they actually want everyone off by that hour so they can prepare for the next group of cruisers to board. 

1 hour ago, Envelope21 said:

I am so appreciating all this wonderful information being reported! I have a question regarding arriving at Keflavik airport, specifically on Delta if possible. What is the approximate amount of time between being actually outside in the elements and entering the terminal building. I understand you don't actually get off on a jetway, but must actually be outside for a period of time. 

We came in on a runway. Not outside. Directly in terminal.  Then. Down steps and another set going up.  We came in on Delta. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Envelope21 said:

We flew United and had to walk on the tarmac to a bus on arrival and had a jet bridge on the return.  Our “outside “ exposure on arrival was under a minute. 

36 minutes ago, Louhut1 said:

We came in on a runway. Not outside. Directly in terminal.  Then. Down steps and another set going up.  We came in on Delta. 

Just now, vslparis said:

We flew United and had to walk on the tarmac to a bus on arrival and had a jet bridge on the return.  Our “outside “ exposure on arrival was under a minute. 

Thanks you both! This Florida girl was wondering about having to dig out my coat out of my carry-on while I was on the plane.

We are attempting to only use carry-ons for this trip and some of my stuff is in compression bags, including my coat!

1 minute ago, Envelope21 said:

Thanks you both! This Florida girl was wondering about having to dig out my coat out of my carry-on while I was on the plane.

We are attempting to only use carry-ons for this trip and some of my stuff is in compression bags, including my coat!

We had only carry on and I did have my coat in another bag  that goes under the seat. My husband took his out of his carry on in our connection city and put it in the overhead  along with his bag.  We wore them getting off the plane, but really didn’t need them for that short walk ( had long sleeve top on ) .When the bus arrived at the terminal, it was right in front of the entrance.  Hopefully you will get a jet bridge, but you may not be able to count on that as you could be like us having one method for arrival and  another for departure. 

Just keep an eye on the weather forecast for the morning of your arrival.

2 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

Not onboard but according to other posters here and elsewhere some of the Viking buses to the airport left at 7 am (for 11:15 flights) so I would see no reason why you wouldn’t be able to depart by 9. Additionally, I think Viking has previously stated they actually want everyone off by that hour so they can prepare for the next group of cruisers to board. 

Agree; 9 will likely be totally fine.  And a few days ago, I think Sky got to Reykjavik around 7, so even early departing folks should be fine, although of course, there's a lot for crew to do besides open the doors! 

Breakfast was apparently available at 5:30!

8 hours ago, ladytrek said:

Went on the golden Circle tour it lasted 8 1/2 hours I walked over 3 1/2 miles total at all the stops.  To see the waterfall from the top overlook was nice, but to see them levels of all the waterfalls you must go down 100 steps.  There are 13 steps and a landing then 13 steps landing and so on so if you have a problem with steps don’t do it, if not sure if you have trouble going down remember you must come up.  Halfway down is also a good view.  At the waterfall they have a large gift shop.  Lunch was salmon and boiled potatoes, coconut soup (vegetarian). Miniature cream puff.  Nice small rye bread glass of wine, coffee.  My husband isn’t a fish lover and loved it.  Nice day.

We did the Dynjandi waterfall excursion today and actually enjoyed the drive time scenery more than golden circle yesterday.  However. for anyone with any hint of claustrophobia,  we were in very long narrow tunnels at least 4 times. Then the last leg of the drive was a very narrow road with huge rock fields on one side and a steep cliff without guardrails on the other. We were trying to decide which side would be the best side for any disaster but couldn't come up with an answer. So hit a part of heavy fog but the driver handled it masterfully.  Ince at the waterfall. we felt like rockstars with our nets as the midges were on attack.  We kept getting stopped and tood our nets would have been gone changers for that tour.  They asked how we knew so good them our wonderful live thread cruisers gave us warning and even links to where to buy them. One lady was quite dismayed that she didn't know as she followed another board that she wouldn't identify but will now join cruise critic.  Thank you to all of you who shared this tip. I would have stayed on the bus without them so you saved this excursion.  It was wonderful watching them all trying to get me through the net. For the first time, I won the battle!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just heard from someone on board (wife of one of the Lecturers who is a friend of a roll caller from our half transatlantic) that there are 600ish passengers aboard this week.  She says the energy level is “way up” from the first cruise. Can any of you confirm?  

I’ve asked if she knows how many will be aboard next week. Hoping it won’t be 900ish. 🤞

3 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

Just heard from someone on board (wife of one of the Lecturers who is a friend of a roll caller from our half transatlantic) that there are 600ish passengers aboard this week.  She says the energy level is “way up” from the first cruise. Can any of you confirm?  

I’ve asked if she knows how many will be aboard next week. Hoping it won’t be 900ish. 🤞

@Clay Clayton Jenna, the CD sang the National Anthem in Explorers Lounge last night for the 4th of July and stopped by after. She said there were 615 passengers.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, DJVKN said:

@Clay Clayton Jenna, the CD sang the National Anthem in Explorers Lounge last night for the 4th of July and stopped by after. She said there were 615 passengers.

Thanks!

Wonder if she knows how many next week…not that it will make any difference  to us leaving on Friday 😂

Maybe I missed it, but is The Restaurant reservation only or has it gone back to the before times like it did last week?

Edited by Clay Clayton

8 minutes ago, VI_Lounger said:

We did the Dynjandi waterfall excursion today and actually enjoyed the drive time scenery more than golden circle yesterday.  However. for anyone with any hint of claustrophobia,  we were in very long narrow tunnels at least 4 times. Then the last leg of the drive was a very narrow road with huge rock fields on one side and a steep cliff without guardrails on the other. We were trying to decide which side would be the best side for any disaster but couldn't come up with an answer. So hit a part of heavy fog but the driver handled it masterfully.  Ince at the waterfall. we felt like rockstars with our nets as the midges were on attack.  We kept getting stopped and tood our nets would have been gone changers for that tour.  They asked how we knew so good them our wonderful live thread cruisers gave us warning and even links to where to buy them. One lady was quite dismayed that she didn't know as she followed another board that she wouldn't identify but will now join cruise critic.  Thank you to all of you who shared this tip. I would have stayed on the bus without them so you saved this excursion.  It was wonderful watching them all trying to get me through the net. For the first time, I won the battle!

Please excuse typos. Wifi is poor today so rushing too much. The sun is out so enjoying our last hour in this beautiful spot. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, VI_Lounger said:

Thanks for the info.  Will carry our nets on every excursion.  Yes OUR site is so much more informative then any of those other social sites.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

Thanks!

Wonder if she knows how many next week…not that it will make any difference  to us leaving on Friday 😂

Maybe I missed it, but is The Restaurant reservation only or has it gone back to the before times like it did last week?

I am not sure about reservations or not because we have reservations. I can tell you the two tops are only about a foot apart so no social distancing there. I know once on board people were able to change reservations to different restaurants and times and join up friends. (The line was long so get their early if you need changes)

On the first day we met two brothers and their wives so we have joined them for drinks in the Livingroom and Explorers and have to get permission to pull 6 chairs together. YMMV.

FYI…we are in Isafjordur today and internet is spotty at best and can drop so may not always respond right away.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, DJVKN said:

I am not sure about reservations or not because we have reservations. I can tell you the two tops are only about a foot apart so no social distancing there. I know once on board people were able to change reservations to different restaurants and times and join up friends. (The line was long so get their early if you need changes)

On the first day we met two brothers and their wives so we have joined them for drinks in the Livingroom and Explorers and have to get permission to pull 6 chairs together. YMMV.

FYI…we are in Isafjordur today and internet is spotty at best and can drop so may not always respond right away.

Thanks for responding when you can….go enjoy your day!

11 minutes ago, TayanaLorna said:

Thanks for the info.  Will carry our nets on every excursion.  Yes OUR site is so much more informative then any of those other social sites.

I agree with you there.  However, some people have been posting pictures from their excursions, which have been very interesting and helpful to me. 

• Like 2

I don't believe there were any wine drinkers on the first cruise.   If there are any on the second cruise, please take a second while looking at the list to take a picture and post if so those of us following you will have an idea of the wines that are available.   Thanks.

• Haha 1

Have any of you completed the Iceland Pre-registration form using a single phone number for multiple people. DMIL has a smart phone but would really like to do her registration on my phone and then print it for her to have. But I don’t know if I’ll be able to tell which barcode is whose when they come back?  

TIA for any advice. 

A bit of a hard question, but I'll try anyway:  I'm trying to avoid having to take a laptop for an 8 day cruise.  However, I'd like to be able to download pictures and see them on a computer screen and possibly crop them/save them to a thumb drive.  Can you put a thumb drive (or something else with a USB cord) into Viking's computers (near Explorers Desk, I believe) or is that impossible/off limits?  I couldn't do that on another cruise line, but who knows, maybe Viking is different.  (I can always hope.)  Thanks. 

1 minute ago, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

A bit of a hard question, but I'll try anyway:  I'm trying to avoid having to take a laptop for an 8 day cruise.  However, I'd like to be able to download pictures and see them on a computer screen and possibly crop them/save them to a thumb drive.  Can you put a thumb drive (or something else with a USB cord) into Viking's computers (near Explorers Desk, I believe) or is that impossible/off limits?  I couldn't do that on another cruise line, but who knows, maybe Viking is different.  (I can always hope.)  Thanks. 

Can’t answer your question but if not, maybe save them to a cloud?