Diagnosed with Cancer...but I still plan to cruise

24 minutes ago, WiscGram said:

We are on that cruise!!!   Hope its wonderful for you.

Thank you.  Sailing with friends that are dying to be back on a ship as much as we are.  Last cruise (Feb 2020) I coordinated for 4 couples.  We had such a blast.  Maybe 2023 I'll have the energy to plan a trip for a group.  

We had the best excursion ever on Bonaire when I booked a private sailboat for the 8 of us.  It was a little over $200 per couple and we felt like such VIPs, especially after our bungalow on Labadee.  

Maybe we'll bump in to you.  I'll be the short one with short hair.  🙂

Welcome to the club none of us wanted to be a member of!

I found it helpful to hear about the stories of others so here's my timeline -

Diagnosed November 2019 - just turned 33, total shock

Chemo started Christmas Eve Eve through to April 2020

Lumpectomy + Lymph node removal June - July. Lucky me needed 3 surgeries to make sure everything was gone

Radiotherapy August - September. 24 working days, the radio itself is easy but the travelling to the hospital every day is tiring

I received herceptin every three weeks throughout treatment, last one was February 2021

Also ended up in hospital with sepsis due to chemo totally wiping out my immune system

It's taken until now to really feel like I'm getting back to being me again and I'm more than ready to go on my victory cruise! Fingers crossed Harmony TA sails

Obviously everyone's different and I'm in the UK so my treatment has been through our wonderful NHS but it might give you an idea of what to expect and know you're not alone

Best of luck

Hayley

• Like 1

On 6/26/2021 at 3:33 AM, hayleyp said:

Welcome to the club none of us wanted to be a member of!

I found it helpful to hear about the stories of others so here's my timeline -

Diagnosed November 2019 - just turned 33, total shock

Chemo started Christmas Eve Eve through to April 2020

Lumpectomy + Lymph node removal June - July. Lucky me needed 3 surgeries to make sure everything was gone

Radiotherapy August - September. 24 working days, the radio itself is easy but the travelling to the hospital every day is tiring

I received herceptin every three weeks throughout treatment, last one was February 2021

Also ended up in hospital with sepsis due to chemo totally wiping out my immune system

It's taken until now to really feel like I'm getting back to being me again and I'm more than ready to go on my victory cruise! Fingers crossed Harmony TA sails

Obviously everyone's different and I'm in the UK so my treatment has been through our wonderful NHS but it might give you an idea of what to expect and know you're not alone

Best of luck

Hayley

Your treatment sounds very similar to what has been mapped out for me.  I will be on Herceptin and Perjeta for a total on one year.  HER2 positive sucks.  

Hope your TA on Harmony is wonderful.  We will also be on the Harmony.  Once Chemo is finished, my big task will be to try and get my stamina back so I can enjoy the excursions.  

I haven't been on Cruisecritic for a while now and I forgot how wonderful all my fellow cruisers can be.  ❤️

• Like 1

On 6/24/2021 at 4:35 PM, MOSusan said:

I was diagnosed with Breast Cancer in March of this year (2021).  I am 2/3 of the way through very aggressive Chemotherapy and still have surgery and radiation to go.  I have a cruise booked for February 13, 2022 on the Harmony of the Seas.  I don't know how I will feel when February rolls around but my nurse told me that chemo is the worst part so just hang in there. 

I have finally started looking at excursions, Voom packages etc.  I'm getting myself in the mood to cruise.  I was reading the back and forth about wearing mask on the cruise.  Be thankful that you have a choice in your everyday lives.  If I go out even with heat index of 100+ I have to wear a mask...so I just don't go out.  🙂 By February this issue with my immune system should be over so I'm on the side of hoping that we don't have to wear mask but if we do, we do.

Keeping my fingers crossed that my cruise in February will be somewhat of a Victory Cruise and that I will have some hair!  Promised all of my girlfriends that I will keep my sense of humor through it all - who knows, I may rock the Mr. Clean look.

Can't wait to go!

Best wishes. My wife went through very similar chemo, surgery and then radiation back in 2008. Drinking cool aid with ice through a straw, saltine crackers, baby soft toothbrush and extremely mild toothpaste all help. Landsend for specific bathing suits.

Big help was free Livestrong program at local ymca, still going several times a week. Eat right exercise and strive and survive.

Getting on a cruise ship after all that stuff took a few to feel normal, now the big C word never gets mentioned. She’s always dancing, Zumba, line dancing, etc.

Probably 25 cruises since the C thing!

Enjoy your cruise, you deserve it. We also booked one for the end of the rainbow something to look forward to, in fall of 2009, loved it.

• Like 5

I beat it too 7 years ago now.  Definitely good to insist on living your life as fully as possible.  The only decent thing about chemo is that you can predict the highs and lows and plan to take advantage of when you will feel your best.  God bless.  I'm still here and you will be too!

• Like 3

We took an Alaska cruise in 2018 when my husband was about 14-15 months into 2 years of treatment for his cancer. Did both land tour and cruise. Exhaustion was his biggest issues from his treatments, so we made sure to keep our afternoon schedules mostly free. He pushed himself for excursions, rested in the afternoons, and was able to enjoy the evenings. 

Enjoy your planning, enjoy the cruise, but definitely leave enough free time in your schedule for taking naps! They're good for you!  

• Like 4

I too am a breast cancer survivor (10 years) and had a very similar treatment as hayleyp. I was diagnosed just weeks b4 we were to set sail and my Dr did not want me to put off the beginning of what would be almost a year long of surgeries/treatments. Well, we chose to go on the cruise! 🙂 I went on that zip line that I was sure I could never do...lol 🙂

Best of luck to you in your journey. You will come through this stronger and that blue water will be sparkling just for you. Enjoy that cruise!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, MOSusan said:

Your treatment sounds very similar to what has been mapped out for me.  I will be on Herceptin and Perjeta for a total on one year.  HER2 positive sucks.  

My DW is a 2 time stage IV HER2+ breast cancer survivor. Very familiar with your meds.

Herceptin is the miracle drug.

She has had many  wigs over the years, didnt keep her from cruising.

Listen to your body and just take it easy.

F#$% Cancer!

Real Men wear Pink

• Like 2

I would definitely repeat the advice of others to stay positive.  If cruising helps, go for it.  Just prepare yourself mentally for any limitations that you may face if you aren't yet at full strength (and follow any oncologist orders).  DW fought ovarian cancer a few years ago and the positive outlook was really important to her.  We had many uplifting signs around the house.  Her favorite said, "She thought she could, and so she did".

I was amazed at the quality of wigs available.  DW wore her wig more than she thought she would, because she liked how she felt while wearing it.  You'd never know that it was a wig.  She also found that she didn't mind not wearing the wig while cruising (she didn't like the "buzz cut" look), since she didn't know anyone else onboard.

Kick cancer's ass!

• Like 2