Ocean Medallion App - Part 3

margord

1 minute ago, ziggy29 said:

We just booked a cruise for the end of May (6th cruise with Princess, first with the medallion).  When I try to log into the app, it tells be to go to "Ocean Ready" I need to link the booking. So when I try to link the booking, it says the booking has already been claimed. 

Has anyone else here seen that?

If you see your reservation on the website, then give it a couple of days to populate into the Princess App.

Do use the link button or reregister in the App as that can cause problems.

4 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

If you see your reservation on the website, then give it a couple of days to populate into the Princess App.

Do use the link button or reregister in the App as that can cause problems.

Thank you.  By "reregister", is that deleting the user from the app and trying again?  There is a "delete" option, but it felt like a self-destruct button so I avoided it.  if it's just deleting the app user and nothing else, I suppose it's safe to do so...

Edited by ziggy29

While not technically a medallion problem, this cracked me up just now ... I wrote a review of a great whale-watching shore excursion on Maui for Princess.  It was the best experience of the whole cruise.  There are several categories to rate along with the narrative.  For each category, it takes about 5 clicks to register your opinion.  You can't just click 'the stars', you have to go back and forth in order to get Princess to accept your ratings.  Hmmm, I thought, isn't this just typical of Princess ... make it as difficult as possible just to get your ratings accepted.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ziggy29 said:

Thank you.  By "reregister", is that deleting the user from the app and trying again?  There is a "delete" option, but it felt like a self-destruct button so I avoided it.  if it's just deleting the app user and nothing else, I suppose it's safe to do so...

😂.  We don’t need any self destruct buttons.

I wouldn’t delete anything. The reregister or register button could set up more accounts.  You don’t want that.  The link button really doesn’t do anything.  I believe it was meant to link your bookings, but it has caused problems also.

The new booking usually shows up in tge Princess App in 1-2 days.  Don’t touch it.

The medallion app was horrible, but after the last outage it is working a lot better for me. I hope whatever Princess did on the backend sticks, the app was almost usable.

Although the scrolling is still very weird, as a former software dev I have no idea how they managed to screw that up so thoroughly, if you just let it be the system handles it flawlessly  (I'm using the android app).

46 minutes ago, teacherplus said:

I called today and was told to update the app and that worked. Now I can choose a boarding time and buy the internet plan.  I had just updated maybe 2 weeks ago but now I’m happy it’s working.

When and from where does your cruise depart? Ours is not for almost two months, although the app shows us as "Green".

On 1/18/2023 at 6:51 AM, Thrak said:

The problem with dining is that they keep closing the Michelangelo Dining Room. When the ship isn't full they close that dining room and everybody who has booked their dining there (myself included) gets moved elsewhere. Since the Da Vinci Dining Room was pretty much booked by the time they closed the Michelangelo everybody got moved to the Botticelli Dining Room which is all the way aft. Annoying to be sure and it happened to us in May and again in December. That is not a problem with the app. It's a problem with the Princess idiots who don't plan properly. If they know they will be closing  a dining room they need to not make it available to book.

Reading these sort of comments send a shiver down my spine. I loved the original Anytime Dining experience on Princess, I never really warmed to the early and late fixed dining times on our early cruises in 2004/5, so when anytime came in I thought it was fantastic.

However gradually over time the ability to roll up at your designated MDR whenever was most convenient to you, has become watered down. Princess, and other lines as well, seem to have pushed passengers, sorry guests, to pre select as many dining times, and table locations, as there are days on the cruise. I guess it helps them to plan peak loading better, and probably enables them to minimise staffing, but it's taken all the joy of freedom dining away, IMHO.

1 hour ago, teacherplus said:

We leave from Fort Lauderdale on March 2, 2023

Our cruise from Galveston is the end of March 2023, so I'll wait a couple of weeks and see if I can select a boarding time then. I think it will make little difference however, since we are using the Princess IAH to the ship transfer and the arrival time is not up to me.

Doug

26 minutes ago, PaperSniper4 said:

Our cruise from Galveston is the end of March 2023, so I'll wait a couple of weeks and see if I can select a boarding time then. I think it will make little difference however, since we are using the Princess IAH to the ship transfer and the arrival time is not up to me.

Doug

Arrivals groups are on the App anywhere 59 days to 12 days before sailing.  You can pick one if you want, but if you have a transfer through PCL….they will determine which bus you are on.  Just keep your flight details updated.

35 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

Arrivals groups are on the App anywhere 59 days to 12 days before sailing.  You can pick one if you want, but if you have a transfer through PCL….they will determine which bus you are on.  Just keep your flight details updated.

Roger that, thanks. Makes sense.

Actually flight details are there since I use Ez-Air. However, we land Houston the night before. Transfer info on the Princess Travel Summary says to be at the luggage claim area at 1000 to meet a Princess rep. However, I plan to be there NLT 0900!😎

Edited by PaperSniper4

We were on the Sky Dec 10, 2022 cruise and the medallion was basically unusable.  It worked to open the door and getting on and off the ship.  We gave up trying to order drinks.   We just ordered from the directly from the staff or at the bar.  The prior two cruises, they worked great.

Richard

Edited by Getandgo
wrong info

On 1/21/2023 at 8:01 AM, PaperSniper4 said:

Roger that, thanks. Makes sense.

Actually flight details are there since I use Ez-Air. However, we land Houston the night before. Transfer info on the Princess Travel Summary says to be at the luggage claim area at 1000 to meet a Princess rep. However, I plan to be there NLT 0900!😎

If you get there early you may be waiting.  Princess reps don’t always show up early. They will have clipboards and something showing that they rep Princess

1 hour ago, Getandgo said:

We were on the Sky Dec 10, 2022 cruise and the medallion was basically unusable.  It worked to open the door and getting on and off the ship.  We gave up trying to order drinks.   We just ordered from the directly from the staff or at the bar.  The prior two cruises, they worked great.

Richard

In that case the Medallion did exactly what it was supposed to do. Your issue is with the MedallionClass App.  When we sailed on Royal Princess in May the staff mostly just asked for our cabin number when we ordered drinks. The onboard system performance was abysmal. The app worked quite well for locating our travel companions. Ordering room service was best done on the TV.

When we sailed in December on Ruby Princess the app worked pretty well for everything we tried. We still ordered room service from the TV simply because we could both see the menu selections at the same time and it was so easy to use. Staff had no problems finding us on their devices and nobody had to ask for a cabin number.

The app works pretty well on my phone but is abysmal on my wife's cheap lower end phone. It's unfortunate that the app is coded to be a resource hog so it won't work well on older, slower phones with limited RAM, storage, and slow processors.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, memoak said:

If you get there early you may be waiting.  Princess reps don’t always show up early. They will have clipboards and something showing that they rep Princess

Thanks. You are surely correct, but my "personality" will cause us to show up early. I'm one of those people who always add a half hour to ensure I'm early! There's a word for that trait which escapes me right now......

Bad thing is, I know the Princess airport transfer to the ship will leave late, probably arriving at the dock after the lunch in the MDR; we'll have to scramble for a tables at the lido deck or International Cafe.

Doug

15 hours ago, Thrak said:

In that case the Medallion did exactly what it was supposed to do. Your issue is with the MedallionClass App.  When we sailed on Royal Princess in May the staff mostly just asked for our cabin number when we ordered drinks. The onboard system performance was abysmal. The app worked quite well for locating our travel companions. Ordering room service was best done on the TV.

When we sailed in December on Ruby Princess the app worked pretty well for everything we tried. We still ordered room service from the TV simply because we could both see the menu selections at the same time and it was so easy to use. Staff had no problems finding us on their devices and nobody had to ask for a cabin number.

The app works pretty well on my phone but is abysmal on my wife's cheap lower end phone. It's unfortunate that the app is coded to be a resource hog so it won't work well on older, slower phones with limited RAM, storage, and slow processors.

In addition when you have a whole bunch of cruises specially b2b cruises not all show up on the app. I have a 4 day in September prior to a 16 day and it has never shown up. I am waiting till after a 15 day canal cruise to deal with it   At that point it will only have 5 cruises to deal with. The number of bookings does seem to be an issue. I use an IPhone 7 but even my friends who use the newest phones have the same issue

I booked a cruise for 12/16/23 on the Sky Princess which showed up in my app.  2 days ago I cancelled that cruise and rebooked with a new booking# for a better fare and perks.  On the app the first booking is showing even though that one was cancelled.  I tried logging into the app with the new booking number but old one still comes up.

Any input or suggestions on how to get new booking to show up......thanks!

1 hour ago, Happy2cruise said:

I booked a cruise for 12/16/23 on the Sky Princess which showed up in my app.  2 days ago I cancelled that cruise and rebooked with a new booking# for a better fare and perks.  On the app the first booking is showing even though that one was cancelled.  I tried logging into the app with the new booking number but old one still comes up.

Any input or suggestions on how to get new booking to show up......thanks!

It should clear up within 2 days.  Perhaps not quite enough time had gone by when you last checked.  It takes time for the two systems to sync.  Lord knows why it takes so long considering App is almost 2 years old now.

1 hour ago, memoak said:

In addition when you have a whole bunch of cruises specially b2b cruises not all show up on the app. I have a 4 day in September prior to a 16 day and it has never shown up. I am waiting till after a 15 day canal cruise to deal with it   At that point it will only have 5 cruises to deal with. The number of bookings does seem to be an issue. I use an IPhone 7 but even my friends who use the newest phones have the same issue

We have a B2B2B booked for this fall. As usual, it only shows the initial cruise under your profile in the app but normally they are all there if you book dining. In my case the second and third segments weren't available in the app or the online version. I logged out of the app and then logged back in using the booking number of the second app rather than using my user name and password. Voila! All segments were now available to book dining. I logged back off and then logged in again with user name and password and everything was as it should be.

• Like 1

We have 30 cruises on Princess and the Ocean Medallion app worked well until our last cruise in November 2022.  I could never get it to work to enter our Ocean Ready information.  I had many conversations with support and was escalated to supervisors who were never able to solve the problem.  They would tell me they would get it fixed and call me back.  That never happened despite assurances they I would definitely without fail call.  I must have been lied to a dozen times  I wanted to get this done so our medallions could be mailed to us as they had been in the past.  Finally time ran out and we had to pick them up at the port.

Now I am faced with the same problem for a cruise departing March 5th.  When I open the app it tells me my cruise is sailing in 38 days and knows my name.  When I try to link it to my booking, it fails.  I've called support and the "navigator" can't seem to bring up my information when given my booking number.  This makes me think the problem is not with the app itself but something on the back end.  The "navigator" said he would look into the problem and call me back.  Unsurprisingly, that never happened.  I called yesterday and received the message, "If you would like the system to save your place in line and call you back when a navigator is available, please press 1.  Otherwise please remain on the line and a navigator will answer your call as soon as possible."  Naively, I pressed one and followed the instruction to get a call back.  Again, unsurprisingly, I never got a call back.

Today I decided to remain on the line and have been on hold for 40 minutes.  I'm not optimistic that I will ever speak to someone with the competence to solve the issue.  We have been loyal to Princess for years but it is time to rethink that.  We've cancelled two Princess cruises we booked for the fall and have booked instead with Viking Ocean cruises.  I've lost confidence that Princess will ever be the fine line it once was.

Don't know if it still works but when I initially had issues with the app I contacted  A360ad7@carnival.com and it was fixed in short order.

I have never heard of anybody being able to successfully use the "link my booking" function of the app. I can log in with a booking number or with my user name and password but the "link my booking" thing simply doesn't work - for anybody - ever.

Somewhat off topic but still smoking related:

Mexico has announced a ban on smoking any type of nicotine product - including e-cigarettes - in public places. No more smoking in parks or beaches. Cruise port areas are also included. Royal Caribbean has sent letters to their guests on Mexico sailings warning them of the ban.

Edited by Thrak
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, J5's Grandad said:

We have 30 cruises on Princess and the Ocean Medallion app worked well until our last cruise in November 2022.  I could never get it to work to enter our Ocean Ready information.  I had many conversations with support and was escalated to supervisors who were never able to solve the problem.  They would tell me they would get it fixed and call me back.  That never happened despite assurances they I would definitely without fail call.  I must have been lied to a dozen times  I wanted to get this done so our medallions could be mailed to us as they had been in the past.  Finally time ran out and we had to pick them up at the port.

Now I am faced with the same problem for a cruise departing March 5th.  When I open the app it tells me my cruise is sailing in 38 days and knows my name.  When I try to link it to my booking, it fails.  I've called support and the "navigator" can't seem to bring up my information when given my booking number.  This makes me think the problem is not with the app itself but something on the back end.  The "navigator" said he would look into the problem and call me back.  Unsurprisingly, that never happened.  I called yesterday and received the message, "If you would like the system to save your place in line and call you back when a navigator is available, please press 1.  Otherwise please remain on the line and a navigator will answer your call as soon as possible."  Naively, I pressed one and followed the instruction to get a call back.  Again, unsurprisingly, I never got a call back.

Today I decided to remain on the line and have been on hold for 40 minutes.  I'm not optimistic that I will ever speak to someone with the competence to solve the issue.  We have been loyal to Princess for years but it is time to rethink that.  We've cancelled two Princess cruises we booked for the fall and have booked instead with Viking Ocean cruises.  I've lost confidence that Princess will ever be the fine line it once was.

As @Thrakmentioned, send a message to IT.  I have been answered about App issues also. In fact, I recommended this for urgent App fixes.

In the subject field please put “Urgent”  Sailing: “March 5, 2023”

Give your:

Full name

Sail date and Ship name

Booking Number

Explain what you have been going through and you need someone to fix this on the App.

Do not use the Link button.  It can cause more issues and do not reregister ever.

Did you try to not use your user name and password…just log into the App with your name and booking number?

First sign out of the website and the App.

If it were me, I’d go on the website, cruise personalizer, checkin and click on the link for “Try the website version of the App”.  I would do everything that you need to do to get Ocean Ready on there.  

A couple of days later, sign into the downloaded App and see if it populates from the website. JMO

Edited by PacnGoNow
  • Like 1