River cruise or small ship for young at heart

Vicky4HK

Can anyone recommend a cruise line, or itinerary that is better for a 50/60's couple. We'd really like a river cruise style, but most of the river cruises I've seen are for an older client.  We like sightseeing, beaches, good food, would do a bike tour, winery, etc. Open for any suggestions.  

Hope you are all looking forward to cruising again soon.

Just now, Vicky4HK said:

Can anyone recommend a cruise line, or itinerary that is better for a 50/60's couple. We'd really like a river cruise style, but most of the river cruises I've seen are for an older client.  We like sightseeing, beaches, good food, would do a bike tour, winery, etc. Open for any suggestions.  

Oceania.

Small ships with great value and the “finest cuisine at sea.” 
Adults focus with age demographic varying on length/itinerary. You’d be right at home on cruises <2-4 weeks.

• Like 1

We had a terrific time on our River cruise from Moscow to St. Petersburg.  We walked well over 20,000 steps a day in the big cities and more than 10,000 other days so we were kept nicely busy.  There were options for those who wanted to walk slower.  Certainly at the price point and length of time away the majority of the folks were retired, but not all.  We traveled on Viking but if you explore all the lines there are a couple that do carry bikes on board for your use.  Nice evening entertainment by piano and singer plus other activities.  We were ready to head to bed after a post dinner chat with new friends but there were folks in the lounge until quite late.  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Oceania.

Small ships with great value and the “finest cuisine at sea.” 
Adults focus with age demographic varying on length/itinerary. You’d be right at home on cruises <2-4 weeks.

Looking now.  Beautiful ships and great destinations.  Thank you.  Will keep it in mind. 

1 hour ago, Vicky4HK said:

We like sightseeing, beaches, good food, would do a bike tour, winery, etc. 

If getting to the west coast (U.S.) isn't a problem, consider a Pacific coastal cruise.  If you sail Vancouver to Los Angeles, for instance, you should find all of what you are asking for.   Oceania is a good suggestion.  You can add on a cruise to Mexico for a back-to-back after that if you wish. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vicky4HK said:

I would check out all the Premium & Luxury Lines, a process we completed a few years ago. The one that met our needs the best is Viking Ocean.

Viking started with river cruises and took their river cruise model to the ocean ships, which first launched in 2015. With respect to wineries, unlike most other cruise lines, they permit bringing unlimited alcohol aboard and after visiting wineries, if you bring wines aboard, they will serve your wines at meals, with no corkage charges.

• Like 1

At 50/60, you would fit right in with the demographic on a river cruise, at least the ones I 've done in Europe.  They are quite active, and have everything you're looking for except beach excursions.

• Like 1

Have a look at Windstar -- https://www.windstarcruises.com/

and here:

and https://www.windstarcruises.com/beyond-ordinary/

Sample their shore excursions here:

https://www.windstarcruises.com/voyage-plan/shore-excursions/

They combine adventure and luxury - and each ship has a water sports platform. We have a couple of "go-to" cruise lines and Windstar will always be part of our sailing life.

And they have the best sailaway music ever:

Or Star Clippers.   150 or 250 passengers MAX, going to many "smaller" ports.    All the luxery you can dream of, but yes, they do lean to those who like "true" sailing ships.

Crystal River Cruises are AWESOME and the average age aboard out last cruise was 50 - 60 with many younger and a very few older.  Most of the people seemed fit and, as a result, tours covered a lot of ground.  Food was the best we've had on any cruise, ocean or river.  Each day was well planned and really great.  I would think, I had experienced the best day on the cruise, only to have an even more amazing day the next day all the way through day 7.  I highly recommend Crystal River Cruises.  

We have also been on Uniworld and it was really great as well. Age-wise most of the clientele were 60 - 80, there were still some in their 40's and 50's and a smattering in their 20's as well as a spry 95 year old.  The ship (SS Antoinette) was gorgeous.  We had a Junior Suite and it was wonderful.  I can recommend then without hesitation as well.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SuiteTraveler said:

Crystal River Cruises are AWESOME and the average age aboard out last cruise was 50 - 60 with many younger and a very few older.  Most of the people seemed fit and, as a result, tours covered a lot of ground.  Food was the best we've had on any cruise, ocean or river.  Each day was well planned and really great.  I would think, I had experienced the best day on the cruise, only to have an even more amazing day the next day all the way through day 7.  I highly recommend Crystal River Cruises.  

We have also been on Uniworld and it was really great as well. Age-wise most of the clientele were 60 - 80, there were still some in their 40's and 50's and a smattering in their 20's as well as a spry 95 year old.  The ship (SS Antoinette) was gorgeous.  We had a Junior Suite and it was wonderful.  I can recommend then without hesitation as well.

In recommending Crystal, I suggest that advising of the current financial difficulties experienced by the owner should also be mentioned. Owned by Genting HK , they stopped payment on debts almost 1 yr ago, and as recently as May, I read they advised their liabilities exceed assests by US $3.3 Billion.

Their company owned German shipyards required a significant grant from the German Govt to continue operations. Still no guarantee the shipyard will continue operations, in order to complete the newest ship.

Although I believe they are now slowly processing refunds, many loyal Crystal pax have waited over 1 year for refunds for cancelled cruises.

I read recently that the parent company cannot guarantee it will survive. Personally, I would be very concerned booking a Crystal cruise at this time.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, LakeSideKen said:

Curious. In what ways does the age of other passengers on a river or ocean cruise impact your enjoyment of the cruise?  

As an example, if a cruise is made up of twenty-somethings who want to party, they may not mesh well with passengers in their 70's and 80's who are looking for peace and quiet. It is just prudent that prospective guests have an idea of how comfortable they will be with their fellow guests, and some judge that by age.

11 hours ago, Silver Sweethearts said:

As an example, if a cruise is made up of twenty-somethings who want to party, they may not mesh well with passengers in their 70's and 80's who are looking for peace and quiet. It is just prudent that prospective guests have an idea of how comfortable they will be with their fellow guests, and some judge that by age.

Thank you for responding.   In my case, I've only experienced river cruising on shows that I have watched and they tend to be pretty low key, and quiet.  I am learning from this forum that there is another side to river cruising.   Thank you all for showing me these options.    

We did a Scenic  river cruise  but we were older  64 & 65  but most were around that age  with several 30 somethings & a few older people

it was lively in the evenings

Not sure there is any cruise line that has just  decrepit oldies  onboard  any we have been on there is  a mix of ages & usually something for everyone 🤔

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LHT28 said:

We did a Scenic  river cruise  but we were older  64 & 65  but most were around that age  with several 30 somethings & a few older people

it was lively in the evenings

Not sure there is any cruise line that has just  decrepit oldies  onboard  any we have been on there is  a mix of ages & usually something for everyone 🤔

And that is one of the things that make cruises wonderful; there is something for everyone. For instance I can go play trivia while DW swims and we still get to spend a lot of special quality time together.

• Like 2